Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by DancingLady »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most people don't think of fly fishing as a women's sport, but Michelle Cummings' novel opens a window to the dynamic world of the outdoors and the opportunities and challenges it presents. The Reel Sisters tells the story of five very different women who bond over the sport of fly fishing. These ladies range in age from early twenties to post-retirement and come from very diverse backgrounds.

As the story opens, we are introduced to the original four women, Rose, Sophia, Veronica, and Amanda. These four set off to the mountains to Rose's cabin by the river for a fly fishing weekend. As they are enjoying themselves on the river, their fishing is interrupted when a young woman is swept downstream right toward them. Melody is rescued from the water and brought back to the cabin to warm up. By the end of the weekend, she has bonded with the others and become the fifth member of their group.

The Reel Sisters appears to be a fly fishing book at first. The process and experience of fishing are described in vivid detail, giving the reader a beautiful picture of what is happening and how the fisherwoman is feeling. The story is written in first person present tense with each section moving from character to character. As each woman tells her story as she is experiencing it, the reader feels like he or she is on the journey with them. It quickly becomes apparent that this story is about so much more than the sport of fly fishing. Each woman faces her own set of life's challenges, from Sophie's struggle to find love, to Amanda's difficulties in coping with her husband's deployment while raising two small children. I loved seeing how these women developed strong, supportive friendships. They truly became a group of sisters, always ready to lend a hand, a listening ear, or a shoulder to cry on.

One of the only things I didn't care for so much was the practice of catch and release. I have always struggled with this aspect of fly fishing because it seems cruel to me and no one in my family has ever fished purely for sport. Although I had a hard time with that, by the end of the book the practice of catch and release becomes a beautiful metaphor.

I cannot find a proper category for this book. On the surface, it seems like a sports and outdoors book, but after diving in, it is so much more about the beauty of relationships and the incredible gift of deep bonds of friendship. The story encouraged me to invest more deeply in the friendships I already have and to always be prepared to open my heart to a new potential friend. This book is wonderfully written and the editing is nearly flawless. It unquestionably deserves the rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it to women of all ages who love a good story with many nuggets of wisdom and encouragement along the way.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DancingLady's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

It's a great book, I enjoyed your review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This book shows that real friendship, love, and respect hath no boundaries. Thank you for a superb review.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

AmySmiles wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 06:58 It's a great book, I enjoyed your review!
Thanks, glad you liked it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've seen a few reviews for this as it was book of the month not long ago. It does seem like a great story about the relationships of the women. It's a bit slow for my tastes, but it would be good for a lazy day or long weekend read. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The friendships portrayed in the story appeal to me--the fishing, not so much. :wink: Thanks for the interesting review.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:

Post by DancingLady »

Cecilia_L wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 20:06 The friendships portrayed in the story appeal to me--the fishing, not so much. :wink: Thanks for the interesting review.
The fishing really wasn't the reason I read the book either. My dad and sister fish, always for keeps, but I didn't care for it myself when I tried it. I did find it interesting to learn what makes fly fishing different, but the big draw for this book was the relationships. Not all books of this genre are so beneficial in my opinion. The way this one was presented was so pleasant and I felt like I could just sit back, watch these lives and glean bits of life wisdom from the interactions without anyone giving unsought advice anything like that.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

Beautiful piece here. Very well explanatory. You've shown us that the book is one which has it tentacles spread from outdoor games to a well written story of the challenges of some ladies, I also sense a little bit of motivation here.

Thank you. It would indeed make a great book!!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Very nice mix of friendship that is bound by common interests and fly fishing. Both of them go very well together in this story
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I also read and reviewed this book a few months ago. I agree that it was nice seeing the strong friendships that developed among the women.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

At first, I thought the book would be about movies but it turns out that its about fly fishing. While a book about relationships between women sounds interesting, I think I will pass on this one because of the fishing.
khandzz09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khandzz09.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by khandzz09 »

The female characteres are quite interesting and I am curious how is the plot going. I am looking forward to read this book. Friendship is one of the greatest gift you can have. Congratulations BOTD. Thanks for detailed review.
“Think before you speak. Read before you think.”
― Fran Lebowitz, The Fran Lebowitz Reader :techie-studyinggray:
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

It's a fresh breeze to have such an intriguing book of friendship, wisdom, and encouragement. Thanks for the captivating review.
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I can imagine a film adaptation with this one; a casting coup consisting of the great actresses in Hollywood. The story seems fun and new. Happy reading to us!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A novel revolving around the dynamic world of the outdoors and fish-flying sounds good. It is nice that the woman bond despite their different backgrounds. That the editing is nearly flawless is good. I don't think it is for me due to the focus on fish-flying, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”