Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

A novel about five women who bonded together and became good friends while enjoying the sport of fly fishing. The friendship described seems appealing to me. I added it to my to-read list.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

This book is already in my to-be-read list. A story that features five strong female characters and makes us a part of their journey, and at the samt time teaches us the value of friendship is something I would love to read. Thanks for the your review!
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings appears like a novel that includes a vivid fly fishing story. Though people don't treat fly fishing as a women's sport, the author, in this enticing story, shows it as a sport enjoyed by women too. The review opined that this novel is flawlessly edited and beautifully written. This novel is recommended for all readers who like outdoor ventures, especially fly fishing.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I sampled the book on Amazon. This book reflects the idea of the involvement of women in sports and their companionship. The story unfolds with four women who go for fly fishing. I could get into the story and feel the adventurous events as mentioned in the official review by DancingLady. This is an interesting read. Cheers. :) :)
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

As much as I "love a good story with many nuggets of wisdom and encouragement," I don't think this is the book for me. I am not a fan of fishing of any kind. I am glad you enjoyed the book. Great review. :D
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

I love stories about the closeness of women friends. Plus, there's a nice added touch with them being fly fishers and I haven't come across a book themed on fishing ! This sounds like a fun, adventurous novel about the bond of five friends.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Three thumbs up to Michelle Cummings for writing The Reel Sisters, a book on fly fishing by women in the US and the female friendship and camaraderie engendered by it. This is the first novel I encountered about fly fishing by women and the bonds that develop among the practitioners. Women's sports and the media coverage for them are global business these days and for most parts, on equal footing with men's sports. But not much is written about fly fishing by women. So The Reel Sisters is a lovely introduction to it. It is a novel about five women who love fly fishing and the friendships that they eventually develop as their second family, sorority of sorts and community.

In the Amazon sample of the book, Cummings' characters like Sophie and Rose speak about fly fishing with quiet and confident joy, with seriousness and with a strong sense of fun and adventure. These women grow up with strong ties to the outdoors. For many, hunting, camping and nature-tripping are the way of life and it's not surprising they would take up fly fishing. I chuckle upon reading how Sophie gets interested in fly fishing after seeing Brad Pitt do it in The River Runs Through It. Sophie, already into hunting as a teen, recalls marching to the nearest store selling baits and fishing gear and inquiring about training for fly fishing. She learns then she would be the first female trainee of the store. Dancing Lady tells us that the book is also about the personal lives of the fisherwomen and how they face challenges, inspired by their support for each other and the values they develop in fly fishing. I'm also curious about Dancing Lady's reaction to "catch-and-release" in the book and how it bothers her. All of these make The Reel Sisters interesting, unique and a must-read book if you're out to learn something you've never heard before.
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Post by sszb »

Who said we females cannot support each other. A story of five females, their blossoming friendships, the friends who turn into sisters is the true friendship. Again who said sports, fishing, hiking etc are only for males. Grow up fellows, broaden your horizons. Bravo 💐 💐💐
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

It seems like one can learn a lot about friendship in this book. It must have been interesting to read about fishing women since the sport is mostly done by men. Fascinating review.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This book sounds interesting. I like how it’s about true friendship among a group of women. The fact that they bond over fly fishing is so weird and uncommon but it works so well. Thanks for your review.
sir frankline
Currently Reading: Damn the Diagnosis
Bookshelf Size: 8
2024 Reading Goal: 707
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by sir frankline »

:D This is a perfect reflection on an real life situation about love and friendship. This review brings out the best in the story. I love it
Martin Chege
Currently Reading: The Brotherhood of Merlin, Book Two
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Martin Chege »

This book is really interesting it shows relationships between women
mllamisaamadi
Currently Reading: The Rock Stars of Neuroscience
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by mllamisaamadi »

fly fish as a new sporting window seem to be an interesting idea,i will painstakingly review this amazing novel to ascertaing my rating
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

I read this book already, and loved it. The story of these 5 ladies is amazing and inspiring. I like Rose the most.
charity muthoka
Currently Reading: The Black Market
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by charity muthoka »

This is a great book which teaches that real friendship,respect and love has no boundaries.Thanks for the review i really enjoyed it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”