Official Review: Requiem for the status quo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Re: Official Review: Requiem for the status quo

Post by Morgan Jones »

Sounds like a pretty intense and touching read. The story is as heartbreaking as it is inspirational, and I absolutely loved how you described the pros and cons of the book, just so I could be prepared before deciding to give it a shot. Excellent job!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Yssimnar wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 18:41
Dael Reader wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 09:01 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Requiem for the status quo" by Irene Frances Olson.]
As written, his transformation from denial to acceptance seems to happen overnight. In real life, it’s never that quick or simple. We also miss out on getting to know Patrick on a personal level. I wish Olson had added a few more sections to explore his character.
I know a woman who has seen Alzheimers happen to her friends and is paranoid she will get it since she is aging now. It would be devastating. I like your analysis that acceptance doesn't come overnight. That is so true and even after moments of acceptance, we can revert back to the stages of grief. Well-said!
Dael Reader wrote:Thank you for your comment. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I think anytime you know someone who has been diagnosed with any type of terminal illness, there is at least a wisp of fear that you might be the one who suffers next. And I'm not sure anyone anyone completely "accepts" the terms of a diagnosis and illness. It will always seem like something that shouldn't happen to those we love.
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

Morgan Jones wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 18:52 Sounds like a pretty intense and touching read. The story is as heartbreaking as it is inspirational, and I absolutely loved how you described the pros and cons of the book, just so I could be prepared before deciding to give it a shot. Excellent job!
Dael Reader wrote:Thanks for your comment and compliment!
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

I am sorry you had issues with characterization and a few a mechanical errors. From your review, I feel the book is a good read as it appeals to almost anyone who's ready to take the route of a caregiver to a family member. Thanks for a comprehensive review.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

A heartfelt review, I loved it! I have previously read some books depicting patients with Alzheimer's, and my aunt also has that disease. So I can absolutely agree with you that their stories are both 'heartwarming' and 'heartbreaking'! I have long since known about the struggle my uncle undergoes every day to be a care-giver. Each day is like a new battle,but the end is already known! I am grateful that the author shows this so authentically. And your review truly represents that tone and touches the heart.
About what you said on wanting to know the other characters a bit more, may be introducing different characters' POV could have helped?
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

Al Chakauya wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 23:41 I am sorry you had issues with characterization and a few a mechanical errors. From your review, I feel the book is a good read as it appeals to almost anyone who's ready to take the route of a caregiver to a family member. Thanks for a comprehensive review.
Dael Reader wrote:You're right. This book should have have a wide appeal. Thanks for stopping by to comment.{/quote]
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

Shrabastee wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 01:34 A heartfelt review, I loved it! I have previously read some books depicting patients with Alzheimer's, and my aunt also has that disease. So I can absolutely agree with you that their stories are both 'heartwarming' and 'heartbreaking'! I have long since known about the struggle my uncle undergoes every day to be a care-giver. Each day is like a new battle,but the end is already known! I am grateful that the author shows this so authentically. And your review truly represents that tone and touches the heart.
About what you said on wanting to know the other characters a bit more, may be introducing different characters' POV could have helped?
Dael Reader wrote:Thanks for your comment. I do think adding the POV of other characters would have been a nice addition to the story. I hope for the best for your aunt and uncle as they go through their journey.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Dael Reader wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 18:05
Shrabastee wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 01:34 A heartfelt review, I loved it! I have previously read some books depicting patients with Alzheimer's, and my aunt also has that disease. So I can absolutely agree with you that their stories are both 'heartwarming' and 'heartbreaking'! I have long since known about the struggle my uncle undergoes every day to be a care-giver. Each day is like a new battle,but the end is already known! I am grateful that the author shows this so authentically. And your review truly represents that tone and touches the heart.
Dael Reader wrote:Thanks for your comment. I do think adding the POV of other characters would have been a nice addition to the story. I hope for the best for your aunt and uncle as they go through their journey.
Thank you so much for your wish! It means a lot, really.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I don't know anyone with a terminal illness, but it's something that is possible at any time. I think i'll be reading this. Thank you for the review.
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

prospero360 wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 12:30 I don't know anyone with a terminal illness, but it's something that is possible at any time. I think i'll be reading this. Thank you for the review.
Dael Reader wrote:And thank you for stopping by to comment!
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Beautiful, beautiful review. Colleen's story interests me a lot even though I haven't had any experience like her. I'm glad her character's well developed enough. I also feel that reading from Colleen's perspective must have given you a fair idea of how she views Jonathan. But that isn't an excuse for not giving your characters a broader perspective. Thank you for your review! :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Splendid review. I personally have no experience in encountering with a terminally ill person, but this book sounds like a pretty intense read. Maybe too much so.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

This book sounds really intriguing. I'm open to learning more the about Alzheimer's disease and how it affects the characters. Thank you for the review.
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Thank you for this review. I can't imagine how strong going through something like this makes you.. i'm excited to read more about the author's take on this.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Its a very heart touching story. It is very difficult to come out of such dilemmas. The story would be interesting, had the author focused more on character development. Thanks for this detailed review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”