Official Review: Secure Desire by [email protected]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Official Review: Secure Desire by [email protected]

Post by Morgan Jones »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Secure Desire" by [email protected].]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cassiopeia Ellis, a charming and charismatic art historian, sweeps proclaimed billionaire, Ian Chase, off his feet during their first encounter. They spend an unforgettable evening together, and Ian is left love-struck and enamored by the mere thought of Cassiopeia. Six years pass and they meet again, but now Cassiopeia is Cassie Modine, a skilled and cold-hearted FBI Agent who doesn’t have time for love. Still, the chemistry between them is undeniable, so Ian becomes adamant to win Cassie’s heart once more – except he doesn’t get the chance. Catastrophe strikes from out of nowhere, someone wants Cassie dead, and Ian has no choice but to delve into Cassie’s life and discover secrets that have been kept in the dark for years in order to save her.

Secure Desire by R. L. Dunn is the first installment in the A Chase Group Story series. However, Cassie and Ian’s story ends here, and the next installment discusses the tale of another pair within the same universe. This is a very suspenseful and complex story of power, love, betrayal, and deceit. The plot discusses extremely heavy themes such as rape, sexual harassment, abuse, abortion and delves into such topics in full-detail too – hence why I believe the book could seriously trigger some people as much as it could educate others, and I feel the need to advise the readers against reading it without keeping the above warnings in mind.

The book was a bit slow-paced and confusing at first. There were many characters which weren’t properly introduced, and I had a hard time distinguishing some individuals from others because they held similar names, like Garett Whitman III and Garret Whitman Jr. However, when the plot finally began to kick in it definitely held my interest, and I couldn’t put the book down in many instances. Cassie’s secret is far more complex than I could have ever fathomed, but it was greatly enjoyable to get involved in every part of the journey towards solving her mystery.

The book’s biggest advantage lies in its strategic and calculated plot twists. I lost count of how many times I was left shocked and bewildered at the abrupt turn of events, especially when the author finally explained the grand scheme behind Cassie’s attack through the villains at the end. Also, I really liked the minor characters’ intelligence and personalities, especially Monique’s – who is Ian’s sister-in-law. She was incredibly enthralling, charmingly quirky, and I really loved her cunning nature and cleverness when it came to dangerous situations.

One drawback that I noticed about the book was Cassie and Ian’s love story and how lacking it was. To elaborate, Cassie and Ian met and talked for a total of three times before Ian realized he had deep feelings for her. After that, hardships began to fall and Cassie was left unconscious for a long time, during which Ian decided he fell in love with her. Even though he doesn’t really know Cassie – only her struggles and harsh life which he found out about through others – he decided she was the one, and I found that extremely unrealistic and very rushed. For the majority of the book, there were very few interactions between Cassie and Ian, and I really wanted the author to delve deeper into their relationship and give it more room to flourish.

To add to it, the author portrayed Cassie as a cold-hearted and fierce FBI Agent at first, however, that wasn't the case for the rest of book. Ian did the majority of the work in finding the people who wanted Cassie dead, and only during the beginning and near the end do we see Cassie’s true capabilities which, to be frank, left me quite disappointed. Moreover, all that seemed to worry Cassie is that "no man would want her" after what happened during the past and present – she didn't care as much to gain justice for her family and make sure the villains rot in prison. She also relied on Ian to protect her for many instances, even though she didn't know him that well and used to find it hard to trust other men before, especially after her assault. I just found Cassie’s personality to be very contradicting and inconsistent throughout the book.

I noticed one error and a few typos but other than that, the book seemed to be proofread and edited.

For the reasons above, I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The plot as a whole is very rich, well thought of and intriguing – although it can be a bit confusing at times. The author has a great talent in capturing the audience’s attention from the beginning until the end, and I commend her apparent efforts in making the events within the story as realistic as possible despite the difficult plot. I recommend this book for ages above 18 since it contains explicit sex, rape, and gory scenes. I would also recommend it for lovers of a clever mystery book, but not for readers who don’t enjoy heavily complicated reads.

Secure Desire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Morgan Jones's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Great review. I'm not one for explicit content, and heavy plots so I'll pass this book. :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Slow pace and confusing at the beginning usually leaves me frustrated and I put the book down, so I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks for your review though.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This sounds good after a while but hard to get in to. I think this would be a struggle for too many pages for me to persevere to the interesting pieces where it starts to make sense. I typically love stories that involve a lot of secrets and plot twists, but the people I thought would be main characters don't sound as central to the story as I originally anticipated.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Your review makes me want to read this book. The plot sounds very interesting. Thank you for a very intriguing review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

In my opinion, so many love stories out there are just unrealistic. The characters know nothing about each other and yet they are still in love. I like the thriller aspect of this book, but I think the romance would throw me off. So, thanks for the review, but I'm going to pass for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The plot sounds very interesting but due to the explicit content you described, I'll pass on this one. I appreciate your in-depth review.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

Fuzaila wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 01:27 Great review. I'm not one for explicit content, and heavy plots so I'll pass this book. :)
Thank you for commenting! :D
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

AmySmiles wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 06:56 Slow pace and confusing at the beginning usually leaves me frustrated and I put the book down, so I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks for your review though.
I agree with you, it was quite frustrating at first to get a full grasp of everything going on. Thank you for commenting! :D
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 09:57 This sounds good after a while but hard to get in to. I think this would be a struggle for too many pages for me to persevere to the interesting pieces where it starts to make sense. I typically love stories that involve a lot of secrets and plot twists, but the people I thought would be main characters don't sound as central to the story as I originally anticipated.
Sadly, that's true. It's also disappointing how Ian had the most screen time while Cassie was left in corner, even though she had all the capabilities to win her battle on her own. Thank you for commenting! :D
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

crediblereading2 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 10:14 Your review makes me want to read this book. The plot sounds very interesting. Thank you for a very intriguing review.
Thank you for your kind comment :D I hope you enjoy reading the book whenever you give it a chance!
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

kandscreeley wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:30 In my opinion, so many love stories out there are just unrealistic. The characters know nothing about each other and yet they are still in love. I like the thriller aspect of this book, but I think the romance would throw me off. So, thanks for the review, but I'm going to pass for now.
I agree with you, the romance did throw me off despite the clever plot - especially when the author used it as an excuse for Cassie to remain idle while Ian solved her problems. Thank you for commenting! :D
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

Cecilia_L wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 20:04 The plot sounds very interesting but due to the explicit content you described, I'll pass on this one. I appreciate your in-depth review.
Thank you for commenting! :D And I agree, the explicit content isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

hence why I believe the book could seriously trigger some people as much as it could educate others, and I feel the need to advise the readers against reading it without keeping the above warnings in mind.
Incredible review Morgan! And thank you for the trigger warnings. While your review does make the book sound interesting, I'm not sure I'd like to delve into such intense topics. Thank you for your review :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I'm not normally a fan of romance novels, especially those that don't the time to properly set up the love affair like this one, but I'm strangely intrigued by the mystery part and really curious about Cassie's past and her secret. Thanks for the introduction; now I have something to think about!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”