Official Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Am Not Gog" by Matthew James Hunt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a bid to regain some control of her life followed by her determination to become a doer, Lydia meticulously lays out her plans of doing. She follows through when she lures one of the small town’s supermarket employees who she had been stalking into a secluded area behind it. As soon as they’re alone, she puts him at gunpoint. The situation quickly escalates when the man loses patience and a fiery exchange of words leads to a standoff between the two. What will Lydia do now that she’s losing control once again? What exactly about the man triggered her to hold him hostage in the first place? Lastly, how will she get out of the mess she created by holding a person hostage under duress?

I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt is a work of fiction that follows the account of a woman driven to insanity by a chain of unfortunate events. The narrative gives readers an intimate understanding of the woman’s state of mind as she shares stories of her inner struggles and demons, troubles accepting love, losing oneself and self-discovery, and her battle to break free from the brokenness that keeps her shackled to the past.

The novel began with the first-person narrator in a contemplative state. I liked this arrangement because it gave context to what the character did next as well as some of her motivations. As intriguing as the first few pages were, the story actually became more compelling when Lydia stepped out of her house and began to encounter other people. I appreciated the effortless humor and sarcasm that were cleverly woven in some of the dialogues Lydia shared with other characters. The more serious interactions were just as entertaining, but more than a few were suspenseful and filled with tension, which made the book even more of a thrill to read.

Set in England, Hunt’s considerable skill with descriptions transported me to the number of places visited by the main character. The author also captured the essence of some of the characters naturally as breathing. I liked how in one scene, one of the characters’ mirrored the sheer terror and rollercoaster of emotions I imagined I would experience if I were in her shoes at the very moment. In addition to the well-drawn batch of interesting characters, the plot took a few unanticipated twists and turns that further drew me into the happenings and kept me engaged in the characters’ lives.

Given how much I’d enjoyed the book, I could feel the tension rising within as I held my breath in anticipation for what would happen next. However, the ending left me feeling as though I had expected too much of it. But then again, when I considered one of the book’s recurring themes, I thought part of the ending made sense. Unfortunately, there were also parts that I didn't find entirely believable.

Lydia’s wistful, honest, and sometimes painful narration came through as authentic. I loved the reflective mood of her voice and the thought-provoking and meaningful statements she’d often make. I really wanted to award this well-written novel 4-stars. However, the ending left a lot to be desired, which is why I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The story does contain one graphic but brief mature scene that is suitable for a mature audience. I recommend this novel to those looking for an intriguing read.

I Am Not Gog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I read a review on this earlier this week. I don't believe I would enjoy this book. Thank you for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
botulismfreak
Currently Reading: Bullet
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by botulismfreak »

I appreciate your frank review of the book's ending. There's nothing worse than a good build that leads to a flat ending. I'll have to give the book a read - but maybe I'll grab it from the library instead of adding to my collection.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This plot sounds quite captivating and I enjoyed your in-depth review. Thanks for the recommendation!
Qordinates
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Qordinates »

Detailed review, the book sounds perfect to me...a book can not just have everything!
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

@cecilia_l thanks!
@botulismfreak ikr, the ending is just as important as the beginning and middle.
@Qordinates You really think so? I absolutely love the ones that manage to. I think it takes the read to the next level.
@amysmiles still, thanks for taking the time to read my review.
Last edited by ritah on 01 Aug 2018, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It might be important to note that this is not based off a true story. :) This is definitely an interesting book. It's very character-driven. I would give it the same rating you did. Nice review. Thanks :)
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ritah
Currently Reading:

Post by ritah »

@kandscreeley thanks, lol. Did I make it sound as if it were based on a true story? lol. If I did, it's only because the fictional character and her emotions felt real when I read the book. :lol:
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

O no! I don't like books that draw so much attention and strike their readers with intense suspense only to end shabbily.... I may just give this a try though.

Thank you, I appreciate your pellucid and honest opinion.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This sounds like a suspenseful story involving a psychotic person. I don't think this is for me. Thanks for your review!
Ma Cheryll
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-cheryll.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ma Cheryll »

[*]
Given how much I’d enjoyed the book, I could feel the tension rising within as I held my breath in anticipation for what would happen next. However, the ending left me feeling as though I had expected too much of it. But then again, when I considered one of the book’s recurring themes, I thought part of the ending made sense. Unfortunately, there were also parts that I didn't find entirely believable.
This is proof that this book truly is a page-turner, just as it was described on the other review I’ve read on Amazon, although you mentioned that it fell a bit short at the very end. The good thing is, for the most part, it was enjoyable and relatable to others too. And for all we know, the weak ending must be an indication of a 2nd sequel to the first book👍😃thanks to the author for the free book📕and congratulations on the #Botd🎉

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”