Official Review: Esperanza by Tommy Tutalo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Official Review: Esperanza by Tommy Tutalo

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Esperanza" by Tommy Tutalo.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gabriela is dissatisfied with her life in Mexico. She knows that her dead-end life will change for the better if she goes to America. When the legal system fails her, she resorts to illegal methods to cross the border. However, there is no such thing as a free lunch. The coyotes who offer to take her across the border give her two options. She has to either pay a large sum of money or she has to become their drug mule. Poverty forces Gabriela to choose the latter, and so, she gets caught up in the web of drug trafficking. Things only get worse for her, and she has to do awful things to survive. When her daughter Sarita is born, Gabriela decides to leave her dark past behind. Will the past leave her be?

Esperanza by Tommy Tutalo is a tale of survival. With the themes of illegal immigration, drug trafficking, human trafficking and prostitution, it depicts the conditions in which people are forced to live. Through Gabriela’s story, we witness the harsh realities of the world and the awful things people have to do to ensure their survival. It also gives us a peek into the world of the drug cartels and how they manipulate innocent people to work for them. Even with all these dark themes, Esperanza, in its heart and soul, is the story of the love between a mother and a daughter.

The best thing about this book is its way of storytelling. The events aren’t linear. We keep oscillating from past to present, and this makes things interesting. The reader has to keep an eye out for the characters and the small things because they later turn out to be a pivotal part of the story. The writer has put a lot of thought into the details and connected everything intricately. By the end, all the dots line up, and the story comes full circle.

Esperanza has strong content and a well-structured storyline supported by a plethora of complicated characters. In Gabriela, we see a helpless woman who has to choose between dignity and survival. We see her struggling against overwhelming situations that she encounters on every turn of her life. In Sarita, we see a little girl who tries to hold on to her innocence while terrible things happen to her. Apart from the protagonists, we meet Dante, a struggling artist who is trying to let go of his dark past. We see these characters rise and fall; we watch them grow as they struggle against their demons. Even the supporting characters have their own story that has brought them to their current predicament. Every character has an important part to play in the story.

Even though there are so many good things about it, Esperanza misses its mark because of one major flaw- its slack writing. It is monotonous and, at times, unexciting. Yes, there are a handful of lines in the book that are deep. For example, “In the beginning, the dream was a nightmare.” However, most of the times, it feels mundane. There are a lot of high-tension scenes in this book, but they lose their impact due to ineffective writing. Some scenes should make us cringe, while others should make us swoon. Some should make us smile, while others should leave us teary-eyed. Esperanza would’ve been one hell of a roller-coaster ride if the writing style had the necessary flair. It just feels like a case of miscommunication between the writer and the reader. The writer has great content, a good story full of well thought-out characters, but he can’t effectively relay it to the readers.

For me, writing is the most important aspect of a book. No matter how simple a story is, if it is well-written, it can leave a lasting impact. Esperanza loses some points on this, and that’s why my rating for this book is 2 out of 4 stars. If I could, I would give it a 2.5. There is a lot of heart and soul in this book. People who like to read the stories with strong protagonists persevering in the face of insurmountable odds will like it. It is also for those who would like to get an insight into the world of drug cartels. Perhaps, unlike me, others might enjoy its writing style. However, to me, it is a story that holds a lot of promise but lacks proper execution.

Esperanza
View: on Bookshelves

Like ReviewerDiksha's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

What's great about these books is that they try to catch the reality and present it to the reader. Too bad about the ratings though. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

This sounds like a true story almost. I could definitely see this happening in today's world, actually I'm sure it does. I think I'll pass on this book as the description doesn't catch my attention. Thank you for the honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This sounds like a lot of heartache and a difficult life. So much to overcome. The real sad part is that this actually happens. I hope that the author can perhaps rework some of his writing to make this book even more attractive as it's a subject worth discussing even if it is in fiction. Thanks for your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

So sad that a young girl has to overcome so much difficulties for a better life. I love these kind of books. They're a strong message to today's hard reality.
obialor chidera
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by obialor chidera »

this seems like a book that will teach us lessons to overcome difficulties . I will add this to my shelf!
tanyas33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanyas33.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by tanyas33 »

It’s such a shame that a story with so much potential became held back due to the sloppy and poor writing. These books are so important as they show true human suffering that is real and present in our daily society, and therefore these books have such potential to bring our attention towards these problems and expose us to the real struggles of real people. I would love to read this book, but due to the poor writing I’m not sure if I’d be able to power through it.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

kandscreeley wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 13:54 Wow! This sounds like a lot of heartache and a difficult life. So much to overcome. The real sad part is that this actually happens. I hope that the author can perhaps rework some of his writing to make this book even more attractive as it's a subject worth discussing even if it is in fiction. Thanks for your review.
I really hope so too. When I just think about the storyline of the book, it is very good. It is a portrait of the times we live in, and as you all have said, it is something that is happening to people right now. So, in that perspective, this is really a very important story. If the author decides to spice up the writing style, it will be an amazing book.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

A Tale of survival for the fittest indeed. I liked how you picked strong key points to bring out the idea conveyed in the book. Thank you.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Even though there are so many good things about it, Esperanza misses its mark because of one major flaw- its slack writing. It is monotonous and, at times, unexciting.

With such a relevant and realistic topic, it's really a shame that the writing didn't deliver. Thanks for your honest review.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

This book sounds like it has so much potential to be a bestseller! It is such a pity the writer could not deliver the story properly to his readers. I enjoyed your review, thanks.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”