Official Review: Pig Dog Diner by Kathleen Stockmier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: Pig Dog Diner by Kathleen Stockmier

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pig Dog Diner" by Kathleen Stockmier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Pig Dog Diner, we are reintroduced to Annie Barton. It has been six years since the life-changing events in Pig Dog Creek. She is now in her early twenties; her three children are doing just fine and she even owns a diner. Then one day, a twister (tornado) hits Cook, Tennessee and unearths something hidden in the creek. Soon after, many other shocking discoveries are made.

I love this novel! Stockmier brought the entire Cook community to live. The dialogue throughout the novel was very realistic and augmented to both character and plot development. This author is a master in the art of suspense. The novel is composed of 40 titled chapters which span a little under 300 pages. The story flows so well that it felt like only a few pages but at the same time Stockmier was able to capture more detail than many other authors can with a thousand pages.

I was emotionally and intellectually invested in this story. Two of the main themes throughout Pig Dog Diner are family and romantic love. They were both masterfully handed. Annie has three children and is a widow. She longs to be with Dr. Shea, but the last she heard of him was six years ago when he moved away to start his life with his wife. Moreover, there were several mysteries to be solved. Stockmier drops clues for us to solve the mysteries but adds several plot twisters that keep us guessing what might be revealed next. There was never a dull moment in this book.

There is little for me to complain about with regards to this book. I was a little perplexed when I saw that Dwayne (the name of one of Annie’s sons) was spelt wrongly as Dewayne in chapter 37 after having been spelt right just a few sentences before. I pardoned this typo because it did not distract me from the story. There were several other minor grammatical errors that I noted because I was looking out for them. For the most part, the book seems professionally edited. I found the cover very attractive and the content was magnetic.

In conclusion, I rate Pig Dog Diner 4 out of 4 stars. I wish I could give this an extra-star because of how awesome a reading experience it was for me. I recommend this novel to everyone who is interested in character-driven and or fantasy novels. I cannot wait to read the next book in the trilogy.

Pig Dog Diner
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm confused. You say the book title is Pig Dog Diner but it has Pig Dog Creek on the cover that we see here with the review. I would have liked to know a little more about the story line as it sounds like you loved this book, but I failed to really comprehend what the book is about. Or maybe this book just isn't for me which is a good possibility. Either way thanks for reviewing this book.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I haven't read the first book and am wondering if this one stands on its own or you recommend reading the prequel first? Thank for the review!
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Even though I'm not too keen on the romantic aspect, I do love the idea of the supernatural part. Still, I'd need to read the first book before I got into this one... Thanks for the introduction!
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

I want to know if Anne is going to meet Dr. Shiea again and if they are going to have a love story together...
obialor chidera
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by obialor chidera »

is this a prequel to the first book ? I haven't Read the first book and I want to he sure. great review!
obialor chidera
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by obialor chidera »

the book title you said and the title on the cover is different. great review though
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I'm sorry! The synopsis lack its description, there needs to be a lot more explaining in that. I understand why you are interested in this read and how you are caught up by this read but still I see a certain lacking into the explanations given to this read. Sorry for commenting out straight these were errors that I couldn't ignore.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

I'm a little confused over your review. I did not understand the entire plot of the story in your review. Your review flow is a little bit confusing if not all over the place. But I think I will consider reading this because of your excitement! I hope this will give me the same excitement. :) Thanks for taking the time to review this.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

AmySmiles wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 08:24 I'm confused. You say the book title is Pig Dog Diner but it has Pig Dog Creek on the cover that we see here with the review. I would have liked to know a little more about the story line as it sounds like you loved this book, but I failed to really comprehend what the book is about. Or maybe this book just isn't for me which is a good possibility. Either way thanks for reviewing this book.
This is the second book in the Pig Dog series. The first one was Pig Dog Diner and this one follows right after a six year gap in the storyline. I wrote a review for Pig Dog Diner a while ago. Sorry for the delay in responding. Caught up with work.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Cecilia_L wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 10:19 I haven't read the first book and am wondering if this one stands on its own or you recommend reading the prequel first? Thank for the review!
This book could actually stand alone but the maximum enjoyment would come from having read the first book. If you read the 2nd book first, it will provide spoilers to the 1st book. This is a sequel. I wrote a review to the first one (Pig Dog Diner) earlier this year. Sorry for the delay in responding to you. Caught up with work.
Last edited by Jaime Lync on 12 Aug 2018, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Jaime Lync wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 12:37
AmySmiles wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 08:24 I'm confused. You say the book title is Pig Dog Diner but it has Pig Dog Creek on the cover that we see here with the review. I would have liked to know a little more about the story line as it sounds like you loved this book, but I failed to really comprehend what the book is about. Or maybe this book just isn't for me which is a good possibility. Either way thanks for reviewing this book.
This is the second book in the Pig Dog series. The first one was Pig Dog Diner and this one follows right after a six year gap in the storyline. I wrote a review for Pig Dog Diner a while ago. Sorry for the delay in responding. Caught up with work.
I was wondering why the cover didn't show Pig Dog Creek.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

MsTri wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 13:15 Even though I'm not too keen on the romantic aspect, I do love the idea of the supernatural part. Still, I'd need to read the first book before I got into this one... Thanks for the introduction!
Thanks for reading and commenting on this review. Yes, I agree that you should read this series in order. I wrote a review for the first book (Pig Dog Creek) earlier this year.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

obialor chidera wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 18:35 is this a prequel to the first book ? I haven't Read the first book and I want to he sure. great review!
No, this is not a prequel but a continuation after a 6-year gap in the story. It would be nice if you could read the books in order to enjoy the beauty of the story. I wrote a review to the first one, Pig Dog Creek a while ago. Sorry for the delay in responding to you. Caught up with work.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

obialor chidera wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 10:42 the book title you said and the title on the cover is different. great review though
In Pig Dog Diner, we are reintroduced to Annie Barton. It has been six years since the life-changing events in Pig Dog Creek - 1st

Sorry, you must have misunderstood me right here. Pig Dog Diner is a sequel and Pig Dog Creek was the prequel (which I reviewed earlier this year)... It must have been confusing to see both names so similar to each other in such close proximity and I did not explain properly. My bad. Sorry, for taking so long to respond. Caught up in work.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”