Official Review: The Crack In The Halo by Racer Lynch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: The Crack In The Halo by Racer Lynch

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Crack In The Halo" by Racer Lynch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Crack in The Halo by Racer Lynch is an eye-opening book that investigates the disturbing truths that surround religious abuse. It chronicles the initial period in the lives of young teenage ladies as they join a convent with the hopes of dedicating their whole lives to God.

When Anne Ferry arrives at the Fairview Convent on her first day she cannot help noticing the lack of sheen and spirit in her new found home. A stone-faced lady opens the door and with the coldest of voices asks her, her mother and cousin Pat to get in. When the time comes for her mother to leave, Anne feels a void she has never felt before and worse is still to come. Behind these doors, Anne and her friends, specifically those from Northern Ireland will suffer humiliation, physical and emotional abuse, they will have their dignity and heritage stripped from them. Even in this state of desperation and the confinement, Anne forms a bond with three friends, namely, Mary, Nuala and Annie which will last a lifetime.

The Crack in The Halo is candidly told and contains a lot of raw emotions that helped me understand the pain of the postulants under their oppressor. Sister Dolores stops at nothing to humiliate the young ladies especially those from the North of Ireland. Her fury is utterly destructive and easily results in violence. One heart-breaking scene describes an encounter the main character had with the monstrous instructor. While serving in the sacristy, Sister Delores walks in with the sole aim of looking for something to blame on Anne. As usual, Anne holds her breath as her heart beats wildly inside of her. A speck of dust earns her a horrific strike in the head.

I like that the descriptions made by Racer Lynch are so vivid. The crisp cold that hugs the Fairview Covenant is so real while the solemnness and despondency that tags at the hearts of the innocent young ladies envelopes the whole book. Lynch describes the weather, the rare chances of color in the dull convent, the pinching chill in the winter months, the hushed murmurs and the sadness that comes with the lack of laughter. Even though there is little dialogue in the book, given the convent’s strict rules, the narration fills the spaces adequately.

The only problem I found with the book was its format. There are a few errors that could have easily been corrected with another round of editing. The words seem to be clustered together making reading difficult. The organization of the happening of events, however, was well executed. The theme of religious abuse is very well explored and presented. The author explains the latter effects that these acts of mistreatment had on the victims. The results are shocking. Lynch sheds light on a topic that is extremely crucial and that will resonate with readers interested in the subject matter. I rate The Crack in The Halo 3 out of 4 stars only because of the formatting issues it contains. Otherwise, it would have earned the full 4 stars.

The Crack In The Halo
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like an intensely emotional book.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

It's fiction but I obviously wonder how much came from true experiences related to the author. I can't find any info on him? her? Sad to think any of it could be true but that's how people are sometimes, especially when in power over others. You'd think being in a place set aside to serve God, people would be different though we don't know Dolores' story...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Maybe I missed it, but I'm curious exactly what religion the book is about. Is it Catholic? It does sound quite interesting. To bad about the errors, but most books are still readable anyway. Sounds like this one is as well. Thanks for the review. I'll look into it a little more.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

This review made me so sad. I can't imagine reading about such abuse. I appreciate your review, but this is one book I won't be reading. Thank You.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

When reading this review I couldn't stop wondering why Anne and her friends didn't leave the convent and join another good place of worship. I will definitely read this book to find out. Thanks for the great review.
E_Thompson7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-thompson7.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by E_Thompson7 »

Abuse is always hard to read about, but it can help in refining our compassion. This book sound interesting because it reveals that terrible things happen in the most unlikely of places. Thank you for your well - spoken review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”