Review by SMwathi -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SMwathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smwathi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Review by SMwathi -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by SMwathi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you have ever wanted to know about the marriage life of surgeons, then, reading The Surgeon’s Wife by William H. Coles will satisfy your quest in it.

It's a fictional novel about two surgeons, Michael and Layton, their lives as surgeons, and their experiences of love in life.

Characters are well developed and the reader will be attached to them from beginning to the end of the novel .Questions about choices made by characters will keep the reader engaged to the end. For instance, when Mike falls in love with Layton’s wife, who is his best friend, a mentor and his teacher, the reader starts to question his action and why the author brought him as immoral despite having positive qualities at the beginning. Up to that point, I felt betrayed by his action and I began to support Layton, although he is working carelessly in his surgeries to a point where some patients die.

I like the way the author organizes his chapters such that, the first chapters will begin as two different stories but will later come to join as one story in the last chapters. When merged, the conflict arises and this is what will make the reader want to continue reading as they wait to see how the latter will be resolved. Choices and consequences are the predominant themes in the novel. Characters that make good choices are rewarded while those who do contrary to the expectations get punished.

The issue of love is well discussed. Women feel that love given to them is not enough. This is the case with Rosie, a girlfriend to Mike and Layton’s wife Catherine. Immorality and irresponsible parenthood is also discussed making the book a recommendation to parents. The attitude of the author in the book is sarcastic. Coles makes the events unfold sarcastically .The fact that the author is a surgeon, and the book is written from his own life experiences, has made the book interesting.

The use of dialogues in the novel will make the reader feel attached to the characters in their thoughts, and in the way they conduct themselves. Through dialogues, one will be able to relate reasons why some characters make the choices which might be questioned.

The Surgeon’s wife is a good book which is well authored and a reader will enjoy reading. I recommend this book to lovers of fiction especially those working in hospitals. This book will help them understand the professional ethics expected for doctors.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I did not encounter any error in writing indicating that the book is professionally edited .I understood the language despite the fact that it relates to medicine though I had to refer from the internet to get the meaning of some terminologies. The Surgeon’s Wife is one of the best fictional books I have ever read.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like SMwathi's review? Post a comment saying so!
MuthoniMuriithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muthonimuriithi.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MuthoniMuriithi »

Thanks for the review, It's truly a good one. I read the book and you have highlighted the concerns there.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”