Review by Victron989 -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wil...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Victron989
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victron989.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Review by Victron989 -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wil...

Post by Victron989 » 20 Jul 2018, 03:34

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Illustrated Short Fiction Of William. H. Coles 2000-2016 contains a selection of 33 shorts, a novella, and a pair of graphic novels. All of the stories present very brief moral quandaries that seem like they're trying to get readers to think about the nature of right and wrong. Aside from the graphic novel, each story contains one illustration. All the illustrations, as well as the art within the graphic novel, are drawn by a gentleman named Peter Healy. He is arguably the more talented between the two principal figures responsible for this collection.

Coles' prose is notable for its complete lack of consistency. Sometimes he's terse and clipped and leaves out crucial information until it's necessary just to get to the next beat in his story. Other times, he leaves in totally irrelevant information that only serves to reinforce how creepy and out of touch the narrator is. He has no command of tone, suspense, or pacing. This collection could also use a good editor. It's riddled with typos, punctuation errors, misused vocabulary, and inconsistent tenses. His prose is so bad that I can actually imagine myself watching him as he writes, gradually getting too tired to actually go through with the whatever idea he originally had and then just ending stories abruptly as if they're procrastinated high school essays.

Many of his moral quandaries are presented in extremely rudimentary fashion. In fact, a lot of them aren't really moral quandaries at all...They're just examples of bad people giving into their most basic instincts. And there's little to differentiate the way they communicate with the way the narrators talk. Whereas many stories of morally shady folks might choose to make their narrator a disconnected, authoritative source of information or a winking beacon of irony, Coles' narrators are all just only slightly less creepy than his characters. All this in mind, I have no idea what demographic this book is targeted towards. Most adults are going to find moral dilemmas to be paper thin and juvenile. Actually, most kids probably would too. And there's a lot of disturbing stuff in here that really isn't kid-appropriate. But the drawings wouldn't be out of place in kid's books...

(The true answer is that the demographic for this book is an open flame.)

All the protagonists act in deeply disturbed ways, by the way. And it's made all the more disturbing by the fact that the narrator never really comments on how disturbing it is. A priest struggles with his celibacy in "Father Ryan," so he ends up groping a flight attendant and makes off with her phone number. A man basically throws a small child to a ravenous bear in order to distract it so he can escape ("The Bear"). In "Lost Papers," a husband essentially leaves his wife to die in the Holocaust because he doesn't want to reveal that he cheated on her years ago. (It only makes slightly more sense once you read the story. Which I don't advise. Run away from this collection. I read all of it and it doesn't get any better.)

If you're looking for a reprieve during the graphic novel? Well, prepare to be disappointed. Illustrator Peter Healy ends up changing his style completely. The inking is unnecessarily heavy, as if he made a stylistic decision just to be different for the sheer sake of being different. His other illustrations are just nice and bland, and that would've been preferred for the graphic novel.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. Sometimes, I'll read books by people who seem very earnest and very sincere or very ambitious but their talent just doesn't match up to those sentiments. This is one of those times. Honestly, if anyone involved in writing this book turned out to be a serial killer or something, I wouldn't be surprised. That's how out of touch this whole thing is. Anyone who thinks this is a 4 star collection is really just grading themselves on the gargantuan level of effort it took them to finish this book. If you finished this all the way through like I did, then, you deserve 4 out of 4 stars. On the plus side, all the stories are really short and you get through them really fast. Some of the stories are really pretentious and uses words that are clearly out of the author's wheelhouse, but even then, it's still a pretty fast read.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Victron989's review? Post a comment saying so!

scratchcat318
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: Soul Whisperings by Patty Weeks

Post by scratchcat318 » 22 Jul 2018, 08:49

Thanks for the review. I like how bluntly honest you were about this book. You had genuine problems with how the stories and characters were written and weren't afraid to say it, and that's something I really like. I'm actually curious about this book because a lot of people seem to like it and a lot of people seem to dislike it. I might read a few pages in the future to determine my opinion on it for myself.

Crainbow
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crainbow.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Crainbow » 23 Jul 2018, 05:01

The cover of the book is hardly alluring at first sight, but like scratchcat318 said, a lot of people seem to like it, still I doubt that would make me want to read it. Even without this review, it just seems uninteresting and like a waste of time to read. But you never know, there should be at least one or two things to take home from the book. Candid review, well done.

K Geisinger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by K Geisinger » 23 Jul 2018, 12:34

I actually had this one on my list of books to read. After seeing several reviews go past praising the book, I thought it would be a fun, thought provoking read. I'm glad I read your review before selecting it as a good plane ride book. I liked the humor you brought to your review. Sometimes a little ridicule is needed with a poorly crafted book.
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." (Victor Hugo)

AmyMarie2171
Currently Reading: The Litigators
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amymarie2171.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by AmyMarie2171 » 09 Aug 2018, 20:14

As someone who is in the middle of reviewing a book with some pretty critical problems, I really appreciate the honesty and fearlessness that you brought to your critique. The strength of your personality made it much more enjoyable to read, and interesting to compare with others who have taken on the challenge of reviewing this collection. Well done.

Victron989
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victron989.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Victron989 » 31 Aug 2018, 22:14

K Geisinger wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 12:34
I actually had this one on my list of books to read. After seeing several reviews go past praising the book, I thought it would be a fun, thought provoking read. I'm glad I read your review before selecting it as a good plane ride book. I liked the humor you brought to your review. Sometimes a little ridicule is needed with a poorly crafted book.
Well, I'm glad I saved you the trouble, haha.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”