Official Review: The Ordinary Life by Mario Kiefer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lalakaren51
Currently Reading: Stillpoint
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lalakaren51.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Official Review: The Ordinary Life by Mario Kiefer

Post by lalakaren51 »

After reading your review and a sample of this book, I think it is something I would really enjoy. It sounds like it is packed with history, family drama, emotions, and underlying messages. Just my thing. Nice review!
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

This one sounds like it might be too heavy for me to enjoy, but I am glad to see that the elements of it are covered with care to tell a story with a good lesson behind it.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

The themes involve sound like they have all the trappings for a good silver screen drama. I think I would find the material a bit too heavy for my taste, with all the beatings, abuse, death, hard labor and hungry children. Thanks for the review.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1903
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: The Ordinary Life by Mario Kiefer' gives a nice picture of the story in the mind of the readers. It aptly describes the story of the book. The background of farming described in the introduction of the review is prominent. I like the way the reviewer relates the book to larger issue.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

This book sounds a little too serious and sad for me at this time. I admire the author’s ability to write about such difficult subjects though.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I think this is a book I would enjoy reading. However, anyone who doesn't have an appetite for anything related to hard labor, abuse, and children going hungry might not enjoy it.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Saraswati1008
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Saraswati1008 »

Interesting reading, but really not my kind. You have to be very careful when you are mixing cultures on a book to get the facts of the places right, otherwise it may sound a bit made up. Don't like too much sadness, but a good read in general.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

The Ordinary Life by Mario Kiefer is a #Contemporary #Fiction based on true events that follow the lives of three ordinary people: Lucia, Julian, and Mateo. It features personal, psychological, and familial issues including jealousy, hardship, and abuse.

I find the story gloomy. I am not yet sure whether I will read or bypass reading the entire contents. Thanks for the review.

#KindleUnlimited
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

This sounds like an interesting book and I enjoy how it appears to delve into the stories of different members/generations of the family. Thank you for the concise review; I will definitely add this book to my shelves.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
PegR
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by PegR »

Many people go through this kind of experiences and sometimes it's pretty cruel. Being an immigrant anywhere is a tough experience and the battle between races has always been present. This book may not have a pretty, romantic plot but this story even though fiction can be found in real life and it should be shared to create conscience all around. Looking for better opportunities in other countries especially immigrants from central america and Europe due to difficult situations is not easy , and yet people fight for a chance to have a better life - at least a decent one.
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

This book almost brought me to tears. The life I found most interesting and saddening was that of Lucia, who was not paid the American minimum wage of $1.15 because she was a Mexican, and so was part of the Bracero Program, which meant a very tough life for her.
Rachel-Y
Currently Reading: The Psysick Book of Deliverance Dane
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-y.html
Latest Review: The End-Time Foretellers by Ran Weber

Post by Rachel-Y »

The Ordinary Life, by Mario Kiefer, reads very much like a high school research paper. It’s filled with so much dry, factual information, that I began to look up pieces of information from the novel on the internet, and found very similar wording of historical events.

While Kiefer used a fair amount of place description, at no point did he convey the feelings of his characters. As a consiquence, the story lacked tension and excitement.

Unfortunately, I’d have to say I would not recommend this book.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I am interested in this book because abuse as a whole is a very real yet also an issue that still to this day is not acknowledged as much as it should be in my belief anyway that is. In reading the reviews I am aware that this book touches on a range of different types of abuse because there are many and in a different form. I think that this is a very good choice for the book of the day.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

Everyone copes differently in the same situation. The protagonist's experiences made them extraordinary despite living an ordinary life.
imjaneturner
Favorite Book: Elastic Girl
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imjaneturner.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by imjaneturner »

This book sounds like a surprisingly hopeful telling of the traumatic story that many Americans go through.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”