Official Review: The Ordinary Life by Mario Kiefer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Official Review: The Ordinary Life by Mario Kiefer

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ordinary Life" by Mario Kiefer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Ordinary Life is a book written by Mario Kiefer. It talks about the immigrant family of Corrado and Violeta. Corrado was Italian while Violeta was Mexican. They settled in America and worked hard on the fields. The more the number of children Violeta bore, the better for them as they would have more hands working on the fields, leading to more pay. This was not the case though, as it led to more mouths to feed. One of their granddaughters called Lucia went through psychological abuse and when she married a white man, she did not know that white men beat their wives just like Black men did. With history repeating itself, her two older sons, Julian and Mateo go through psychological and sexual abuse making them struggle with life as they grow into adults.

This book is in the genre of other fiction and has about 310 pages. I found it unique that the titles of the chapters, when read from the first one to the last, form sentences that pass a message. I liked that Lucia’s son, Mateo, always took the beating to protect the ones that he loved. I found this to be an expression of true love. His message was that sometimes you give all that you have to give, and in the taking and giving, so much more is returned.

I was a bit disappointed that Mateo was being blamed for the death of his friend Bradan, yet nowhere in the book are we told how Bradan died. I sympathized with Mateo when he was turned away at Bradan’s funeral. I did not like that Mateo was under so much stress that he engaged in casual sex as a sport for distraction from his everyday existence. The torment he went through in childhood later affected him negatively in adulthood. He gives us the advice that we should leave unnecessary baggage behind and walk light, signifying the shading of unnecessary burdens in life to reduce stress.

I enjoyed reading this book especially where Mateo and Julian give their own stories, some of which are unbeknownst to their family members. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This book has minor grammatical errors that do not detract from the story. I have no reason to rate it lower. The formatting is well done making it an easy read.

I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in reading a story on how we should not judge a book by its cover. Delve into the book to have a better perception.

The Ordinary Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Okoko's review? Post a comment saying so!
Tim Kass
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tim Kass »

An ordinary but great review of an "ordinary" book. It caught my attention and I'd really like to read the book now although the bit about grammar mistakes, however minor, made me wonder if the author is a native speaker of English.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

The book is worth reading and i encourage you to go ahead and read it. As for the minor errors, editing will do. Thanks Tim Kass for appreciating the "ordinary" review of the "ordinary" book!
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela »

Wow i wasn't expecting the book to be so heavy. You did great on the review, this is going to my want to read shelf
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Hi Asavela, it is good to know that you will add this book to your 'want to read' shelf. Hope you enjoy it as i did! Thank you for your comments.
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

This sounds like one I might need to prepare myself for before reading! Thanks for the review.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Hi OrlaCarty, i hope you will enjoy reading this book after you prepare yourself and are ready to delve into it. Thanks for leaving a comment!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What an interesting premise behind the book! I think the content is much deeper and richer than the title of the book. Thanks for the great review.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I suppose this is no ordinary book. The issues discussed here are bothersome, making the read heavy. I believe I would love to read this. Thanks for the very insightful review!
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This sounds like a heart-wrenching tale filled with mistreatment and abuse. Distructuve behavior breeds more destructive behavior without significant redemption or reform. It doesn't sound like something I would enjoy.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A story revolving around the life of an immigrant family and based on true events sounds intriguing. Your review contains some spoilers, mentioning the death of Bradan and that Mateo was being blamed for it. It is a good gimmick to write chapter headings that form a message. Hopefully, the minor grammatical errors were fixed by now. Thank you for your review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

This book sounds too literary for my taste. I’m not a fan of the sad stories with difficult themes. I’m glad it was enjoyable for you, though!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a contemporary fiction novel that highlights immigration, spousal abuse and psychological trauma. The book is Free on Kindle Unlimited and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. Congrats @MMarioKeifer for the BOTD.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

The psychological and sexual abuse is an important theme in this family book. I like the mixed cultural background of the families.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

This one's not for me. I'm selective about the literary fiction I read, and this just didn't hook me. Thanks for your review.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”