Official Review: 27 Yards An' Runnin' by C. Phil Moore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: 27 Yards An' Runnin' by C. Phil Moore

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "27 Yards An' Runnin'" by C. Phil Moore.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What does it take to overcome depression? Is it possible to conquer all the demons that come with depression? Sundiata Slaton aka Soondie, the main character of 27 Yards An’ Runnin’, never thought that he could live long enough to enjoy his twenty-seventh birthday. In the 27 years, he had his share of pain and misery.

At an early age, Soondie went through a traumatizing experience. He witnessed how his father, a veteran who was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, killed his mother and two sisters in cold blood. His father was arrested, and he was left under the care of his aunt, Ruth. The loss of his family left him with a psychological wound that would take years to heal. Hendrix, Ruth’s only child, later became his closest family and friend. They lived together and started a business that became successful.

I loved the character development aspect of the book. Soondie met Hendrix at a time when each of them needed a shoulder to lean on. The author ensures that they have something in common to keep them together throughout the story. Moore also uses his tactful creativity in introducing new characters to the story. Every new character has a role to play in spicing up the story.

The storyline is masterfully developed. Every new chapter adds a new angle to the life of the protagonist. Consequently, the author is able to bring more information to the main theme of the story. He seeks to enlighten the reader about the challenges faced by people with depression. Through his brilliant characterization and plot of the story, the author shows that a support system is essential in helping someone to overcome depression.

As the mood of such a story can be tense, the author includes several instances of humor to make the story enjoyable. He has also employed a heavy dose of suspense. As I read the story, I found out that it was not easy to predict the next turn of events. In the times that I tried to guess what would happen next, the story proved me wrong. Well, I liked that I was in for an enjoyable ride as I went from one page to the next. Another aspect that I really appreciated about the story is that the author uses flashbacks to enable the reader to understand the emotions and choices of the protagonist. He also uses songs that amplify the mood of the story. However, I felt that he used many songs. It would have been better if he had used just a few songs because not every reader knows them.

The book did not have many mistakes. I noted very few grammar mistakes. However, they did not make the story anything short of enjoyable. The style of writing is simple and comprehensive. I also felt that the author gave the story a proper ending. I gladly give the book 4 out of 4 stars. Given the sensitivity of the main theme of the story, I believe that the author did a fantastic job in coming up with such a creative piece. The story is both captivating and informative. Thus, I would not give it a lower score. I recommend the book, 27 Yards An’ Runnin’ by C. Phil Moore, to everyone who feels overwhelmed by the struggles of life.

27 Yards An' Runnin'
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Wow. This sounds like an intense and powerful story.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sounds inspiring, thanks for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

As the mood of such a story can be tense, the author includes several instances of humor to make the story enjoyable. He has also employed a heavy dose of suspense. As I read the story, I found out that it was not easy to predict the next turn of events. In the times that I tried to guess what would happen next, the story proved me wrong.
This sounds like the perfect balance for an enjoyable read! Thanks for the recommendation!
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

teacherjh wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 00:47 Wow. This sounds like an intense and powerful story.
Yes, it is a powerful one
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

Cecilia_L wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 11:41
As the mood of such a story can be tense, the author includes several instances of humor to make the story enjoyable. He has also employed a heavy dose of suspense. As I read the story, I found out that it was not easy to predict the next turn of events. In the times that I tried to guess what would happen next, the story proved me wrong.
This sounds like the perfect balance for an enjoyable read! Thanks for the recommendation!
The author balanced the two really well. Otherwise, it would be quite tense and boring. Welcome
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

AmySmiles wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 10:22 Sounds inspiring, thanks for the review!
It is indeed inspiring. Welcome
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela »

Great review, the story is raw with emotions. You made to the last page without shedding a tear?
juliecsa
Currently Reading: Gathering Blue
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliecsa.html
Latest Review: A Ghost in My Mirror by Olabisi Gwamna

Post by juliecsa »

I like seeing books about mental health that address it properly and don't further the stigma, and it sounds like this one does that. Also sounds like a super interesting plot besides! Great review!
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

juliecsa wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 09:33 I like seeing books about mental health that address it properly and don't further the stigma, and it sounds like this one does that. Also sounds like a super interesting plot besides! Great review!
The author made the book interesting in a special way that does not further the stigma. I liked it
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

Asavela wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 15:17 Great review, the story is raw with emotions. You made to the last page without shedding a tear?
Sure it is. At some point, I almost shed tears but I reminded myself that the book is supposed to encourage people and make them hopeful so such deep emotions are just part of the story. Thanks for your comment
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

As the mood of such a story can be tense, the author includes several instances of humor to make the story enjoyable. He has also employed a heavy dose of suspense. As I read the story, I found out that it was not easy to predict the next turn of events. In the times that I tried to guess what would happen next, the story proved me wrong. Well, I liked that I was in for an enjoyable ride as I went from one page to the next. Another aspect that I really appreciated about the story is that the author uses flashbacks to enable the reader to understand the emotions and choices of the protagonist.
After hearing what happened to cause all the depression, it is good to know that the author used some humor and suspense in the book. I like that it was hard to know what would happen next. It is good to know that the book was written well and had a good ending.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Wow. I liked that Soondie was able to start a successful business despite all that happened. I'm interested in reading this to learn more about depression and the importance of a support system as you mentioned in the review. Thank you for an insightful review.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

This sounds like a heavy read, but I like that there's some humor interspersed in the story. Great review!
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

This was a nice review! I'll make sure I read this book. I think we could all do with a bit of inspiration just for daily living sometimes!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”