Is "Twilight" controversial?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rockinroller
Bookshelf Size: 0

Is "Twilight" controversial?

Post by Rockinroller »

Okay, I hate to be the one to open up the Twilight discussion again. Personally, I'm not much of a fan, but as a student of literature (specializing in sci-fi, fantay and horror) I can't get away from it. Oh, and SPOILER ALERT for some who haven't read all the books yet. Although, this question is really for those who have read them or at least seen the movies...

People have come to me and spoken of Twilight as controversial. I don't always agree but their ideas are still valid.
Some of the reasons for controversy being these;
1. Necrophilia. (Bella falls in love with a vampire who, technically, is dead. )
2. Bestiality. (Almost the same idea only with the werewolves instead, which turns into bestiality since they turn into wolves.)
3. Pedophelia. (Jacob falling in love, "imprinting", with Bellas infant daughter.)
4. Self-destructive tendencies are glorified. (Bella and her motorcycle, Bella jumping off a cliff and so forth as the means to deal with a tough relationship situation. Edward trying to kill himself.)
5. Female independancy is challenged. (Bella literally "can't live without him" and depends entirely on Edward. Bella takes advantage of Jacobs affections although she is aware of his feelings for her, rather than being alone.)

Is Twilight really controversial? Or are these things merely read into the texts by people who do not like them?
BookWorm617

Post by BookWorm617 »

Okay in my opinion I do not think Twilight is controversial at all. I have read all your points and I look at it as follows:

1. Necrophilia - Yes Edward is technically dead however he is still alive. It's not like Bella is messing around with a corpse. So I don't think "necrophilia" is the right word.

2. Beastiality - Yes Jacob turns into a werewolf but she only kissed him once and he was in his human form. Now if she was doing sexual things with him in his werewolf form then yes this would apply.

3. Pedophilia - I actually looked up the definition and it is "sexual interest in prepubescent children" the DSM also defines as "sexual urges". Now Jacob does "imprint" on Bella's infant daughter however there is nothing to indicate that it's of a sexual nature. Since he "imprints" it means he will spend his life protecting her. The book does not talk about anything sexual in this regard.

As for 4 and 5, I just don't think in my opinion anyway that these are "controversial" topics. Furthermore, it is my understaning that for a topic to be controversial it must spark a debate. Meaniing that it is something that people can't agree on and have their own opinions on the specific topic. As for points 1-3 I don't even think these are controversial topics as who would be debating that they are right. Most people completely disagree with these things especially since they are all illegal.

I mean it's not like you could have a debate about pedophilia. Who the hell would argue that it's a good thing.

Anyway that is my .02...hope it helps!!
Rockinroller

Post by Rockinroller »

That's pretty much how I feel as well. Nothing in these books strikes me as controversial or "harmful" at all...

On the contrary, some of our typical heteronormative standards are reinforced by it.
Kilgore-trout

Post by Kilgore-trout »

This is pretty funny :lol:
anyone who focuses on these things in a story like this is clearly missing the point :P
A24

Post by A24 »

Enjoy the Twilight series for what it is....a romantic love story. If you over-analyze it, you ruin it.
Jp1978

Post by Jp1978 »

I don't think it's controversial at all. I think the only controversy is why it's so popular. :D
Sorry, Twilight fans, just my opinion.
BookWorm15

Post by BookWorm15 »

I agree with A24!!
Just enjoy it, why look so much into it?!
readingaddict

Post by readingaddict »

Agree with Jp1978!

I don't like the series but if you analyze any book in too much detail you can find (or make up) anything controversial. The only danger I think that there is in the Twilight series is when fans lives start to revolve around it and it affects their ability to read and enjoy other books (believe me...I have had girls say to me that I must be an idiot because I thought you kill a vampire by using a wooden stake. Silly me, silly Bram Stoker!) But again that could happen with any series.

And as for female dependency in 'Twilight'... it wasn't controversial just plain annoying!
Scather

Post by Scather »

I'm really not sure which side of the debate I come down on here. :oops: I can see arguments for both sides (for example, I found the imprinting thing downright creepy, I must admit), and a series like Twilight with supernatural themes has the potential to upset a lot of people - but then, on the other hand, the series has very clean, vanilla, upstanding "morals" and "values" in some areas -- to the point that I have even seen a book called "From Twilight to Breaking Dawn: Religious Themes in the Twilight Series", praising the books' themes of "abstinence" and "the value of family and friends"...

I agree with readingaddict about fans' lives starting to revolve around Twilight (or other series)... although if the throw-out tables at my local book stores are anything to judge by (with their $1 New Moon boardgames, bookmarks and T-shirts) the obsession has subsided... at least until the next movie I suppose! :P
JoshBransonTeacher

Post by JoshBransonTeacher »

I don't think it's inherently controversial, but people can certainly read controversial themes into the Twilight series.

What irks me is how stories about vampires and wolves and other non-human/part-human characters are cropping up everywhere in the media.
Aileenhu
Currently Reading: Daisy Chain War

Post by Aileenhu »

There's certainly bad things in every good thing.

I'm not a fan either. It was actually really popular when it first came out. Everyone at my school was dying to read it (I was like 12 then...)

People went to the library, people brought the books, went to the movies. That was totally abnormal for us. Our school library has the oddball of around five students at morning tea, but it was jam-packed.

Luckily, our library banned it. Peace at last (kidding). Do you know why they banned it? No, it was not because it was so popular, but because of our school's religion. We're Catholics. And the idea of vampires, werewolves and over romance was a little unacceptable.

Really, I think the only controversial thing is that it's against the Christianality religion. :D

Still I'm not a fan,
Ail.
Vogin

Post by Vogin »

Aileenhu wrote: Luckily, our library banned it. Peace at last (kidding). Do you know why they banned it? No, it was not because it was so popular, but because of our school's religion. We're Catholics. And the idea of vampires, werewolves and over romance was a little unacceptable.
I find it sad that there are still people who ban something they find unfit.
Lita

Post by Lita »

Err.. I just think the bad thing is that every single girl in the planet [ok I like to exagerate XD] wants an Edward for a boyfriend, when he's a manipulative biotch. And they don't see that as something bad... nor Bella's NEED to be with him, even though he's no good for her, and she turns down every single thing that is good for her.
I think what bothers me is the values the book talks about [not literally though], and people follow them :S
Jeny473

Post by Jeny473 »

Lita wrote:Err.. I just think the bad thing is that every single girl in the planet [ok I like to exagerate XD] wants an Edward for a boyfriend, when he's a manipulative biotch. And they don't see that as something bad... nor Bella's NEED to be with him, even though he's no good for her, and she turns down every single thing that is good for her.
I think what bothers me is the values the book talks about [not literally though], and people follow them :S
NO NO NO NO!!!! I disagree. Not every girl would want an "Edward" for a boyfriend. He's pale, cold and really thin. It's gross. Seriously, who's into that? You got the "biothch" part right.
I also agree that the only controversial thing about this serious is why it's so popular. I started the serious thinking they would be fun reads but I just couldn't look past the very needy and insecure young woman and her "biothchy" boyfriend. I also found the amount of vampire spin offs the media subjected us to was pathetic and crazy.
Torky

Post by Torky »

Back to the matter: Why would the Twilight rise controversy? It's a book - ok, a book for teenagers, as some may claim (I disagree that there's anything 'for teenagers') The same ideas of necrophilia, self-destructive tendencies could be found in other books e.g books by Neil Gaiman (American Gods - Shadow and his 'almost' alive wife) and the bestiality is constantly present in the Terry Pratchett books about the Guards(Angua and Carrot). The Twilight wasn't the first book suitable for teenagers with the 'scary' ideas.

It all depends on the type of narration and mostly on the sense of humour of an author, and how it is treated by the readers. For me, Twilight has got nothing to do with controversy. If you want it, read something written by Michel Houellebecq.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”