Is "Twilight" controversial?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wulaishiwo2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wulaishiwo2 »

A24 wrote:Enjoy the Twilight series for what it is....a romantic love story. If you over-analyze it, you ruin it.
we are in one boat at this point
TornUpReaper

Post by TornUpReaper »

A24 wrote:Enjoy the Twilight series for what it is....a romantic love story. If you over-analyze it, you ruin it.
I pretty much agree with this. Short and to the point!
Zekes

Post by Zekes »

Its controversial because it talks about vampires and wolf and other dark things, but who cares? I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed Harry Potter.
Sophius

Post by Sophius »

As was said earlier, the only signifigant controversey is how such an abominably written and quaint series became so popular.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

1. Necrophilia. (Bella falls in love with a vampire who, technically, is dead. )
That's a huge technicality and one that is debated in the novel. He's interactive and lively, not just a corpse, and Bella believes he still retains his soul.

2. Bestiality. (Almost the same idea only with the werewolves instead, which turns into bestiality since they turn into wolves.)
There are no sexual acts between man/woman and beast, and the identity of said "beasts" are more human than anything else.

3. Pedophelia. (Jacob falling in love, "imprinting", with Bellas infant daughter.)
They explain in the book that imprinting is not the same as falling in love. You become whatever the other person needs when they need it. Right now, Renesme needs a caretaker and a friend. That is all Jacob will be. He's not even sexually attracted to her at this stage.

4. Self-destructive tendencies are glorified. (Bella and her motorcycle, Bella jumping off a cliff and so forth as the means to deal with a tough relationship situation. Edward trying to kill himself.)
I don't think these things are glorified, they just explained with empathy and understanding. The reader never wants Bella to get back on the motorcycle or jump. We're not encouraging Edward to kill himself. These are approached with an intent to horrify the reader, not to condone such behavior.

5. Female independancy is challenged. (Bella literally "can't live without him" and depends entirely on Edward. Bella takes advantage of Jacobs affections although she is aware of his feelings for her, rather than being alone.)
I don't have a problem with someone relying on others. It's healthy to have relationships with people. Bella still remains independent by taking care of herself (clothes, food, transportation, school work, etc...) while opening herself up to the people around her. After my grandfather died, my grandmother had a hard time functioning from day to day. They had been together most of her life. With the help of her children and grandchildren she was able to better cope with her new situation but she still stayed independent for a while (until illness made that impossible). Why do females have to do everything on their own? Why can't we rely on others around us from time-to-time?
princess1992

Post by princess1992 »

twilight a book i like to read over and over again,to me the book is not scary

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”