Official Review: Strutting and Fretting by Kevin McKeon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Official Review: Strutting and Fretting by Kevin McKeon

Post by BriennaiJ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Strutting and Fretting" by Kevin McKeon.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strutting and Fretting by Kevin McKeon is about a man named Bob who is on a journey to find himself. He thought he was on the right track in life, as he already had a wife and had graduated from college with a Masters of Fine Arts for his future acting career. He lands a four-month theater job in California, but he still doubts his decisions and talents. Then, his wife leaves him, and he needs the money from this new job more than ever. He hopes to take these 4 months to truly rebuild himself, but everywhere he turns he sees nothing but his mistakes.

I couldn't connect with Bob at all. The main issue with his relationship with his wife was the fact that he never truly loved her but only married her because he felt that it was something he had to do. This doesn't mean that she was right for cheating on and leaving him, but they were not some sort of picture-perfect couple either. Bob then proceeds to spend the rest of the book sleeping around with different women and having an affair with a married woman. Basically, he does the same thing to another married man that his own wife did to him. Also, before he had the affair with the married woman, he spied on her sleeping with her husband when the two though that they were in a more private setting, and this seemed to be just downright creepy to me. 

Bob has generally questionable thought processes in other parts of the story also. First, he wants to be an actor and decides to get a master's degree in an acting-related subject. Then, he does one play, and starts reconsidering his decision to become an actor. When questioning why he wanted to become an actor, he decides that the only reasons why he became an actor were because he had poor self-image and he wanted to "use the adulation I received to my advantage and make women do whatever I wanted." He claims that since he had no sister to teach him the "ways of women," he believed that they would just flock to you if you did certain things. This was one of the most ridiculous excuses for a life decision that I have ever read, and it just made me see Bob as even less of a mature adult and instead more like a hormonal teenager. Even though this book took place in the 1970's, I don't think people back then were THIS ridiculous. 

Everything in this novel took place from Bob's point of view, so even the worldbuilding of it was affected in some ways. Nevertheless, the worldbuilding here was definitely my favorite part of this entire novel. I loved seeing the true lives of actors in the 70's. Even though TV and movie stars may have lived glamorous lives, actors and actresses on stage were almost like regular workers. The directors were in charge of their entire lives, and if the director made any mistakes in casting, planning rehearsals, planning shows, or any small details in between, the entire thing could be called off. This could make or break an actor just starting out without any real money of their own. It was interesting to see how much work each individual person put into all the aspects of the play. The behind-the-scenes characters weren't forgotten either. Bob even has a sequence where he talks about other actors and actresses almost treating costume and set designers like slaves,  even though they were basically the backbone of the show. Without someone behind the scenes doing the "dirty work," the show would not go on. 

The pacing of this book felt slow at times, and then it sped up once the characters finished the play and had to return to their old lives. The pacing wasn't a gigantic problem for me, but this random change did confuse me as I was reading. 

I rated this book 2 out of 4 stars. If it hadn't been for the excellent portrayal of theater in this novel, I most likely would have given this book only 1 star. The more I read about the theatrical process, the more interested in the story I became. This truly kept me going, even though I didn't care for the main character himself. The sheer amount of detail put into the play scenes made reading this book worth it for me. 

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a story about theatre in the 1970's, if they can stand the issues with Bob. If a person is irritated with him just by reading the above details in this review, I would not be able to recommend this story to them.

Strutting and Fretting
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like BriennaiJ's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Your recommendation is perfect and tells me not to read the book because I definitely got irritated with Bob just from your description. Good job finding the redeeming value in the book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the thought of this story, but I don't think I could connect to Bob either. I'm just not sure about his motivations for his actions, and they are so far from mine that I wouldn't know what to make of him. I think I'll pass on this one, but thanks for the review anyway!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BriennaiJ
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

teacherjh wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 00:01 Your recommendation is perfect and tells me not to read the book because I definitely got irritated with Bob just from your description. Good job finding the redeeming value in the book.
Thanks for commenting! I struggled a bit to find the redeeming quality, but as I wrote my review, I realized that I loved the portrayal of theatre more than I had previously thought.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 08:23 I love the thought of this story, but I don't think I could connect to Bob either. I'm just not sure about his motivations for his actions, and they are so far from mine that I wouldn't know what to make of him. I think I'll pass on this one, but thanks for the review anyway!
Thanks for commenting! It was definitely hard to deal with Bob as I was reading this.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Wow, I couldn't be more irritated with Bob. I'm not going to read this book as I have no desire to read about cheating couples and a grown man that acts like a immature teen just because he didn't have a sister to show him how women are. That's a really crazy excuse if I ever heard one. Thanks for the honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bob then proceeds to spend the rest of the book sleeping around with different women and having an affair with a married woman. Basically, he does the same thing to another married man that his own wife did to him. Also, before he had the affair with the married woman, he spied on her sleeping with her husband when the two though that they were in a more private setting, and this seemed to be just downright creepy to me.
Yuck, and no thanks! However, I appreciate your honest review!
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

AmySmiles wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 09:53 Wow, I couldn't be more irritated with Bob. I'm not going to read this book as I have no desire to read about cheating couples and a grown man that acts like a immature teen just because he didn't have a sister to show him how women are. That's a really crazy excuse if I ever heard one. Thanks for the honest review.
Thanks for commenting! My jaw literally dropped when I read his poor excuse for why he became an actor. He really did act like an immature teen throughout most of the book, and maybe this was sort of the point. That he never truly grew up.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

Cecilia_L wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 11:38
Bob then proceeds to spend the rest of the book sleeping around with different women and having an affair with a married woman. Basically, he does the same thing to another married man that his own wife did to him. Also, before he had the affair with the married woman, he spied on her sleeping with her husband when the two though that they were in a more private setting, and this seemed to be just downright creepy to me.
Yuck, and no thanks! However, I appreciate your honest review!
Yeah, I think I could have been less judgemental about the affair had he not spied on the couple beforehand. Thanks for commenting.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Bob sounds like a down and dirty womanizer. I wouldn't want to read this book at all. Thank you for providing such a detailed review.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I liked your review on this book Strutting and Fretting and found that it was rather a time consuming reading, however, it portrayed the nice picture about the Theater
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

Jgideon wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 05:49 Bob sounds like a down and dirty womanizer. I wouldn't want to read this book at all. Thank you for providing such a detailed review.
Thanks for commenting. He definitely is not on my list for favorite book characters at all.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

sanjus wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 04:22 I liked your review on this book Strutting and Fretting and found that it was rather a time consuming reading, however, it portrayed the nice picture about the Theater
Thanks for commenting. This definitely sums it up pretty well, I did get a good idea for the 70s theater out of this book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”