Official Review: Every Song Tells a Story by Edward Nugent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Every Song Tells a Story by Edward Nugent

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Every Song Tells a Story" by Edward Nugent.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bruised and covered in blood, Melody turned herself in to the police. She promised herself that she would never come back, but there she was again. Author Edward Nugent tells a young woman’s story of hope and triumph in Every Song Tells a Story.

Melody is definitely trying. She is determined to never return to prison. She is clean and sober. She is doing her best to follow the terms of her probation, but the cards seem to be stacked against her. The only good thing that came out of her relationship with a drug dealer was Brianna. Regaining custody of her daughter is Melody’s number one goal. It is certainly not easy with Brianna’s foster mother doing her best to turn her against Melody.

Melody’s life changed forever the day that she decided to buy a bicycle. The bike shop owner, Eric, and his employee, Randy, become two of Melody’s closest friends, and they provide her with more than she ever expected. However, it is her friendship with a resident of a retirement home that sets Melody’s life on a path that could finally free her from her hurtful past.

I love the premise of this story. Young people, especially women, are frequently misjudged when they have a criminal past. The protagonist, Melody, is a very well-developed character. She is just flawed enough to be relatable, and her family life makes her bad behavior somewhat understandable. This is a story about growth. Each new experience is a valuable lesson for Melody. As a reader, I was fully invested in Melody’s story, and I was hoping for her to find stability.

This is a well-written and well-organized novel. There were a few misplaced and misspelled words in the book, but these errors did not cause distractions. The story is told with understandable language and flowed seamlessly from scene to scene creating a pleasant reading experience. I recommend this book to fiction readers who enjoy coming-of-age stories.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were a few grammar errors, and I cannot make a connection between the title of the book and the story. Perhaps there is a connection between the name Melody and the word song. Nevertheless, I was entertained by Melody’s story from start to finish, and I found her perseverance to be quite admirable. Every Song Tells a Story is a story that proves that your first choice is not always the best choice.

Every Song Tells a Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for the nice review. The plot sounds interesting and nice to know that Melody's perseverance paid off in the end.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I'm attracted to this book because of the title alone, the plot makes it more interesting to me. Hopefully I'm given the chance to read this book. Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I think I'll enjoy this redemptive coming-of-age story. I am also puzzled by the title, and like you, wonder if it is a reference to the character's name. Thanks for the recommendation!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Indeed the book has a message of hope. Majority not only women are being misjudged based on their criminal record. And yes it's possible to break free from a hurtful past. I find the book appealing.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I've always liked redemption stories. Nice review. You really made the book seem interesting.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”