Review by katty_b -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
katty_b
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katty-b.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Review by katty_b -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by katty_b » 16 Jul 2018, 03:14

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Considering the length of this book it took a bit of time to read, it didn't grab my attention well, it actually annoyed me and had me scratching my head as to if I downloaded it correctly. Part way through I started and finished another book, sorry to say Guardian of Deceit was not to my taste. The description sounded appealing and that is why I chose it but in the end it was lacking.

The story is about Darwin - an orphan - who can no longer live with his guardian Aunt, due to her failing heal. The next in line for guardianship is cousin Luther - a famous footballer player - who he has met once. Moving far from the home he has known to enter the life of celebrities and rich society. Darwin is young, meek and mild, how would he face the challenges of coming to age in his new surroundings.

"I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars" I couldn't fault the writing, I think if the author had more time or pages he could have filled out the story to its fullest potential. As it was I had to re-download and double check the format as I was reading because I thought pieces were missing. As I read each chapter they were a continuous page, I couldn't tell where a page ended or started. I couldn't bookmark my place and got lost a few times. Each chapter ending gave the right amount of climax to want to move to the next chapter, only the next chapter didn't pick up that same thread, it started a new one leaving the previous un-concluded. I found this to be disjoined and not encouraging to continue.

There are a lot of characters in this book, too many to give them each full exploration. Which was disappointing but written well that you get some sense of them. If you have a reaction to a character that is a sign of good writing and I had a reaction to these characters. I wanted to slap the main character out of his flotsam approach to life and I wanted justice served to his supposed guardians for not doing their job. That is what I felt was lacking from the story, you have the protagonist surrounded by horrible people and acts of violence yet nowhere is the voice of protest or justice.

The plot was not strong or tightly woven, the sub plots mashed in did not build the main story arc nor did they conclude properly. I was left thinking what have I just read. At the beginning I wondered at the title, is the new guardian - a harsh, uncaring, misogynist, gambling cheat - a guardian of deceit? And it was up to Darwin to stand against this test, becoming his own person. However at the end I had a different thought, after meeting all the other characters - each presenting false personas - I wondered if the unchanging steadfast Darwin was their guardian of their deceits. This story left me with questions.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like katty_b's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”