Official Review: The miner by F.Robert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Official Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The miner" by F.Robert.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Miner is a sweeping saga of one man’s life and adventures in the Australian outback. In it’s 511 pages one finds action, adventure, and romance. The story follows the life of Christopher Kennedy and some of his friends and family as he progresses from being an office clerk to being a multi billionaire mine owner and operator.

When we first meet Chris, he is a clerk in an investment firm. He is good at his job but he does not enjoy it. He enrolls in night school and gets a degree in mining engineering, something he enjoys. Chris decides not to hire on to a big company but to go into the Australian outback and try prospecting on his own. He wanders around the outback for some time and eventually finds gold but becomes lost and is near death when a native tribe befriends him and saves his life. Chris spends six months with them learning their ways and some of the mysteries of the outback. He then returns to civilization and goes about relocating and getting rights to the gold mine he had found. It turns out to be much bigger and more valuable that he could have guessed and is the start of his mining empire.

The Miner is a story that makes you feel good. Chris is hard working, kind, and generous. Throughout the book you see him being very lucky but, you also see him helping others and building a good life for his family and all those working around him. Reading this book reminded me a lot of reading some of the boy’sbooks from the early 1900’s. Books like The Boy Chums and The Rover Boys would be typical examples. The main characters in these books were often termed plucky. They had a lot of things go their way but they also put in a lot of hard work and helped others along the way.

This book takes place in Australia, primarily in the outback. They have different expressions for many things and the author uses the local vernacular throughout the book. Most of the words or expressions are understandable enough that they do not need explanation. Some were very foreign to me but most of those were understandable by the context or in several places the author gave definitions of words where the meanings were hard to guess.

The book is a little long, but, since it made me feel good, I did not mind the length that much. I also enjoyed the occasional geological tidbit explaining why the area looked the way it did, how it may have been formed, or why certain minerals might be found there. This book is a good read for a wide audience. It has adventure, romance, and tells the saga of life and fortunes in the Australian outback.

I found a few errors while reading. Things like using the word “change”, when the word should nave been “changed”, or “enrol”, when the word should have been “enroll”. Certainly there were not enough errors to detract from the reading of the book and not enough to detract from the rating. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It was enjoyable and kept you wondering what would happen next.

The miner
View: on Bookshelves

Like Bluecobia's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This book takes place in Australia, primarily in the outback. They have different expressions for many things and the author uses the local vernacular throughout the book. Most of the words or expressions are understandable enough that they do not need explanation. Some were very foreign to me but most of those were understandable by the context or in several places the author gave definitions of words where the meanings were hard to guess.
I've found the same to be true of a few Australian network shows I've watched and enjoyed. It's always fun to learn new words from different cultures. Thanks for your interesting review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I really enjoyed your interesting review. Chris has an interesting story. The book seems a bit long but your review makes it seem worth the time. Thanks!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Australia interests me, so I'd enjoy reading this I think. Sounds like a great book. I'll look into it a bit more. Thanks for your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I enjoyed reading the review of this book, The miner. I have read only a few stories based in Australia and I have enjoyed each one of them. I like the fact that the book keeps the reader guessing what will happen next.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I like the character of Chris—hard-working, kind, and generous. I’d be interested to read more of his story. Thanks for the great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I enjoy books set in Australia and probably wouldn't mind the vernacular used by the author. The storyline seems interesting too. Thanks for the review, mate! :D
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

511 pages, wow, I'm too ADHD to stay focused for that. It sounds like it could be a great read, but I'd have to break it up into chunks in order to get through it. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I couldn't help but wonder if this is a true story or based on a true story? 511 pages is a lot to read, and I do appreciate that you took time to write this review in full. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This book sounds a little too long to keep me interested in this particular story line. I think I might be able to enjoy it if it were a shorter book. I think I'll pass on this one. Glad you enjoyed it so much.
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

I love that this book has a kind main character. It's not frequent enough, in my opinion, and is a really good thing. It inspires all the readers to behave better :)
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A tale revolving around the life of a mining engineer in the Australian outback sounds good. It is good that the Australian expressions are understandable to those unfamiliar with it. Adding the occasional geological tidbit should enrich the tale. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the length and the errors. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This sounds like an inspiring read. I appreciate perseverance and overcoming hardships in life. I will be adding this book to my TBR list. Thanks for the enlightening review.
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Post by sszb »

Thank you for the interesting review 💐💐👍🏻👍🏻.
I wonder if it's a real-life story or a memoir of Chris. It does sound really inspiring. I would like to read it to know the struggle of Chris from clerk to a millionaire. Congrats on being BOTD 💐💐👍🏻👍🏻💐💐💐
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I am very happy that you mentioned the main character sharing his success with others. Normally, these slice of life success stories have very egocentric characters which makes me tend to veer away from this genre.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”