Official Review: The miner by F.Robert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
Bluecobia
2018 Reading Goal: 26
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 61
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Official Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia » 15 Jul 2018, 19:25

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The miner" by F.Robert.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Miner is a sweeping saga of one man’s life and adventures in the Australian outback. In it’s 511 pages one finds action, adventure, and romance. The story follows the life of Christopher Kennedy and some of his friends and family as he progresses from being an office clerk to being a multi billionaire mine owner and operator.

When we first meet Chris, he is a clerk in an investment firm. He is good at his job but he does not enjoy it. He enrolls in night school and gets a degree in mining engineering, something he enjoys. Chris decides not to hire on to a big company but to go into the Australian outback and try prospecting on his own. He wanders around the outback for some time and eventually finds gold but becomes lost and is near death when a native tribe befriends him and saves his life. Chris spends six months with them learning their ways and some of the mysteries of the outback. He then returns to civilization and goes about relocating and getting rights to the gold mine he had found. It turns out to be much bigger and more valuable that he could have guessed and is the start of his mining empire.

The Miner is a story that makes you feel good. Chris is hard working, kind, and generous. Throughout the book you see him being very lucky but, you also see him helping others and building a good life for his family and all those working around him. Reading this book reminded me a lot of reading some of the boy’sbooks from the early 1900’s. Books like The Boy Chums and The Rover Boys would be typical examples. The main characters in these books were often termed plucky. They had a lot of things go their way but they also put in a lot of hard work and helped others along the way.

This book takes place in Australia, primarily in the outback. They have different expressions for many things and the author uses the local vernacular throughout the book. Most of the words or expressions are understandable enough that they do not need explanation. Some were very foreign to me but most of those were understandable by the context or in several places the author gave definitions of words where the meanings were hard to guess.

The book is a little long, but, since it made me feel good, I did not mind the length that much. I also enjoyed the occasional geological tidbit explaining why the area looked the way it did, how it may have been formed, or why certain minerals might be found there. This book is a good read for a wide audience. It has adventure, romance, and tells the saga of life and fortunes in the Australian outback.

I found a few errors while reading. Things like using the word “change”, when the word should nave been “changed”, or “enrol”, when the word should have been “enroll”. Certainly there were not enough errors to detract from the reading of the book and not enough to detract from the rating. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It was enjoyable and kept you wondering what would happen next.

The miner
View: on Bookshelves

Like Bluecobia's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading: William and Tibby Forever
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Weavy Things by Barbara Ann Leonard

Post by Cecilia_L » 05 Aug 2018, 15:10

This book takes place in Australia, primarily in the outback. They have different expressions for many things and the author uses the local vernacular throughout the book. Most of the words or expressions are understandable enough that they do not need explanation. Some were very foreign to me but most of those were understandable by the context or in several places the author gave definitions of words where the meanings were hard to guess.
I've found the same to be true of a few Australian network shows I've watched and enjoyed. It's always fun to learn new words from different cultures. Thanks for your interesting review!

kdstrack
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: The Silent Sea
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: 'The Saga of Bridget and Amanda' (book 2) by Carole Love Forbes

Post by kdstrack » 05 Aug 2018, 18:21

I really enjoyed your interesting review. Chris has an interesting story. The book seems a bit long but your review makes it seem worth the time. Thanks!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 83
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 224
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: It's Just a Matter of Balance by Kevin S. Garrison

Post by kandscreeley » 05 Aug 2018, 19:34

Australia interests me, so I'd enjoy reading this I think. Sounds like a great book. I'll look into it a bit more. Thanks for your review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Britty01
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 » 05 Aug 2018, 21:52

I enjoyed reading the review of this book, The miner. I have read only a few stories based in Australia and I have enjoyed each one of them. I like the fact that the book keeps the reader guessing what will happen next.

stacie k
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: River Kids
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: Back to Bible Basics; Forward in Faith, Hope and Love by Desmond B Hills

Post by stacie k » 05 Aug 2018, 23:51

I like the character of Chris—hard-working, kind, and generous. I’d be interested to read more of his story. Thanks for the great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Ever_Reading
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Purgatory's Angel
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading » 06 Aug 2018, 00:58

I enjoy books set in Australia and probably wouldn't mind the vernacular used by the author. The storyline seems interesting too. Thanks for the review, mate! :D

AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Letters From The War by Amanda Bryant
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles » 06 Aug 2018, 07:54

511 pages, wow, I'm too ADHD to stay focused for that. It sounds like it could be a great read, but I'd have to break it up into chunks in order to get through it. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 112
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: It's Hard to Be a Vampire
Bookshelf Size: 458
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 06 Aug 2018, 10:00

I couldn't help but wonder if this is a true story or based on a true story? 511 pages is a lot to read, and I do appreciate that you took time to write this review in full. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: The dandelion bouquet
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Invisible Realm by Evelyn Louise Dunbar-Webb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 08 Aug 2018, 10:22

This book sounds a little too long to keep me interested in this particular story line. I think I might be able to enjoy it if it were a shorter book. I think I'll pass on this one. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty » 28 Aug 2018, 10:46

I love that this book has a kind main character. It's not frequent enough, in my opinion, and is a really good thing. It inspires all the readers to behave better :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”