Official Review: Sort of a Cricket Story by Srikumar Menon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Sort of a Cricket Story by Srikumar Menon

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sort of a Cricket Story" by Srikumar Menon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sort of a Cricket Story by Srikumar Menon is a multifaceted novel; it deals with coming of age, love, friendship, deception, and, as the title suggests, a crucial cricket match. Set in Delhi in the 1970s, the story focuses on three friends: Ravin, Prithvi and the Bull. The narrative flip-flops between a very important cricket match, which all three characters are involved in, and the story of the trio's friendship. The cricket match is told in the third person omniscient perspective, whereas the past events are narrated in the first person by Ravin. In the prologue, Ravin, a self-professed murderer, is at his wits end and makes the tragic decision to commit suicide, though it is clear he has been on a downward spiral for some time. The remainder of the novel unravels the story of how Ravin came to make this fateful decision.

Overall, this story is both exciting and emotional. The author does a wonderful job building suspense throughout the narrative as the characters are introduced and brought to life. Learning about the trio and the events that shaped their friendship over the years helped create a strong connection to the main characters. Further, each member of the trio had a distinct personality and individual character traits that made them all realistic, relatable and complex: Prithvi is stoic and amenable; the Bull is headstrong yet loyal; and Ravi is good-natured and driven. It was the intricacies of these three characters that made the novel most enjoyable and also what made the ending quite shocking.

Another aspect of the narrative that piqued my interest was the author’s masterful use of foreshadowing. At the onset of the novel, readers are left wondering about many things: from Ravin’s proclamation that he is a killer, to the motive behind his suicide, there were a lot of questions that needed answering. The author deftly sprinkled the story with clues, but it isn’t until the end of the novel that readers will fully understand the complexity of Ravin’s story. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all of the events come together, forming a complete and satisfying picture at the end of the novel.

However, there were some aspects about the story that I didn’t find as exciting. In some cases, the first person narrative seemed unreliable as Ravin would recount events, in great detail, for which he wasn't present. The telling of these situations was always full of dialogue and specific information which didn’t seem plausible given Ravin’s distance from the actual events. Additionally, the narrative for the cricket match may only appeal to a specific audience, namely those who understand the game and don’t mind reading a play by play of events. As someone with only basic knowledge of the sport, some of these passages were lost on me.

Lastly, there were quite a few editorial errors in the novel that lead me to believe this book was not professionally edited; errors related mostly to improper punctuation and capitalization. If not for these errors, I would have given this book a perfect score. With that in mind, I rate Sort of a Cricket Story 3 out of 4 stars. Fans of character-driven thrillers will thoroughly enjoy this story. However, readers who are unfamiliar with the workings of this particular sport may find some of the narrative tedious to read.

Sort of a Cricket Story
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

I love the bookw where you are longing for the last pages to get to know what has really happened, this one caught my attention. Nice job on your review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Despite the sports references which will probably be lost on me, your excellent review piqued my interest in this book. Thank you for your recommendation!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It definitely sounds like this needs more editing. It would drive me nuts for a character to be discussing something that he wasn't present for. I admit, though, I would like to learn more about cricket. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I don't know much about sports and I know even less about Cricket. This book isn't for me, but I appreciate your review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

A murder narrating about committing suicide is a very interesting concept. I am so sorry about the editorial mistakes. Thank you for a wonderful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”