Official Review: Just in Time by Joan L Jackson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Re: Official Review: Just in Time by Joan L Jackson

Post by rave_2 »

This sounds great! I like a good thought-provoking story once in a while. It's interesting how this book has how schizophrenia can effect the sufferer and those around them. Great review.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Littlecandle
Favorite Book: Pancake Money
Currently Reading: Code Name: Dodger: Operation Rubber Soul
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlecandle.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Littlecandle »

I've just read the first few pages of the book and I'm interested to follow Steve's story. His schizophrenia which is said to be not inborn reminds me of some studies and testimonies that certain health conditions could appear after a child receives vaccine shots.

The plot sounds interesting too, I can't wait to continue reading it. Thank you for the good review.
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

This sounds like a very interesting book. I really liked how you mentioned a lesson that was learned by reading the book. Great job.
Navneet50
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Navneet50 »

we have so much to learn about many of the issues surrounding mental illness.this book is a valuable teaching tool.this story meet us with truthness.this sound like grate book that higlight very important subject "mental illness".
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

A book talking about the importance of showing acceptance to those suffering from mental illnesses sounds great! The world needs more of these discussions.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This sounds like an engaging book revolving around mental illness. Schizophrenia is an illness that not many people talk about or fear to talk about, but the author shines a light on this subject. Congrats on the book of the day! Great review.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1887
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: Just in time by Joan L Jackson' is a look through the book. The reviewer presents the story with great elegance. The review well focuses on the theme of the story. Nice to learn that the book ends on a perfect note!
Ms_Bookworm
Currently Reading: Chrome Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-bookworm.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Ms_Bookworm »

Thank you for this thoughtful review and for your insights into Steve's world. As someone who is part of the support system for a mentally ill spouse, this hits close to home. I am interested in what the author has to say about this very sensitive subject and will check this out.
"I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks." - Scout Finch
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I like that this book fosters healthy human relationships and chooses to explore a less trodden path. Your review gives a clear indication of the book's themes and characterizations. Thanks for your engaging review.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I like that this book fosters healthy human relationships and chooses to explore a less trodden path. Your review gives a clear indication of the book's themes and characterizations. Thanks for your engaging review.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

It's unfortunate we still have to deal with people that are unable to understand that mental illnesses aren't requested; they just come and anyone can get it too. This book seems to be an eye-opener for many.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Just in Time by Joan L. Jackson is about two people who meet at a time when they can help each other. Steve who has schizophrenia needs a caregiver after his parents' sudden death. Nancy, in urgent need of a place to stay, is tapped by Steve's siblings to take care of Steve. Aside from being a novel about the challenges of living with a person with mental illness, it is also about how two people, who couldn't be anymore different, can find common ground to help each other. Life is about human connections. These connections can start out as a consequence of practical need, chance, and circumstances of time and space. But these can take the shape of real and lasting relationships that lead to the growth and maturity of those involved. I'm expecting to read about emotions of discomfort and fear, tears and laughter, and true fellowship in this book. It's great to learn from Supergirl1 that Ms. Jackson has the accessible, engaging writing style very much needed for such a serious theme, and that she is able to keep the book's mood generally happy and optimistic. I'm also glad to learn that the story is paced well and that the reviewer was reluctant at times to put the book down. I'm so encouraged to read this book!
DarlyCarly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DarlyCarly »

This review tells of the cliché attitude regarding those who suffer from mental illness. You get a feel that if the stigma were removed it, mental illness, would be easier for all to endure, work their way through, adjust to - perhaps even heal from. Just in Time sounds like a compelling read full of personal testimonies and usable knowledge.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

A story about schizophrenic written in an optimistic mood? Sounds very intriguing. I would like to read it. Thanks for the thorough review.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Judeath_25
Currently Reading: Just in Time
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Judeath_25 »

An insightful look into one of the most misunderstood mental illnesses of our time.

I love how Joan explains what schizophrenia really is, as opposed to the normal misconception: a splitting of the mind, and not multiple personalities.

The tone is one of stark reality imbued with optimism. The portrayal of mental illness in a negative light only contributes to the stigmatisation of schizophrenics.

The reader is educated about mental illness through the characters' interactions.

A must-read.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”