Official Review: Just in Time by Joan L Jackson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: Just in Time by Joan L Jackson

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Just in Time" by Joan L Jackson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Just ignore him. He’s crazy.” How often those words have been carelessly uttered by people when referring to individuals suffering from mental illnesses. It is imperative to understand that mental illness, like physical illness, is not something to be ashamed of, and should definitely not be ignored. Just in Time is a thought-provoking story centered on schizophrenia and its effects both on the sufferer and on their support system.

Steve is a calm, extremely well-behaved man with severe schizophrenia. Putting “well-behaved” and “severe schizophrenia” in the same sentence sounds like a tall order, but the efforts of Steve’s strong support system has made this possible. In fact, many people in his neighborhood have no idea that this onetime star athlete suffers from the debilitating illness. His parents Matt and Vivian, his siblings Scott and Sylvia, as well as his psychologist Dr. Rita between themselves manage to help him achieve an admirable level of normalcy in his life. But not all good things last forever. Steve soon loses both his parents and Dr. Rita to the cold hands of death. How does he weather this storm without his condition getting worse?

One outstanding lesson from this book is in the social treatment of schizophrenics. A disturbing number of people have an unhealthy fear of mentally ill individuals. As a result of this, mentally ill persons have to contend with unnecessary social stigma. Fear of stigmatization thus prevents many from seeking needed treatment early. The importance of showing kindness and acceptance to people suffering from mental illnesses is highlighted in this story. In fact, their success at managing and recovering from these conditions is greatly influenced by how people treat them.

Author Joan L. Jackson has written this book in a style that’s engaging, easy to read and easy to understand. She leaves the big, ambiguous words in the dictionary. The pacing is steady, devoid of any disconcerting time gaps. She also keeps the mood generally happy and optimistic, sweeping out the gloom that’s usually associated with mental illness. I found myself very reluctant to put this book down, and whenever anything happened to rock Steve’s world I would find myself silently praying for his safety. This book also makes that short list of books that end on a perfect note.

Just in Time is written with excellent grammar, and I found extremely few errors. I am unable to put my finger on a single thing I dislike about this book. I am happy to rate it 4 out of 4 stars, and I recommend it to everyone who has either directly or indirectly had to deal with mental illness. I think you will find it just as interesting as I did.

Just in Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love books that force you to "walk in the shoes" of someone very different from yourself, thereby fostering humility and compassion. It sounds like this book will do exactly that, and I've never read anything quite like it before. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

SamSim wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 06:25 I love books that force you to "walk in the shoes" of someone very different from yourself, thereby fostering humility and compassion. It sounds like this book will do exactly that, and I've never read anything quite like it before. Thanks for the recommendation!
You are absolutely right. Reading this book opened my eyes to a totally new way of looking at things. I used to erroneously believe people living with schizophrenia have “lost their marbles.” I was so so wrong!
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

This sounds like a great book that highlights a very important subject. Mental illness is a 'taboo' topic in most circles, yet, if talked about more, perhaps more could be done to help the 'mentally ill'. Excellent review. Looking forward to reading the book.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This is a topic that desperately needs to be chimed throughout the world. I have seen many persons laughing and sneering at the mentally ill on many occasions. This is so wrong because no one knows if this illness may not affect him/her in the future. It could also affect a loved one or friend. We have to exercise kindness and good senses. Thank you for such an insightful review.
serahtemples
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by serahtemples »

Just in time is really an educative storyline, it widens our mindset to getting that particular feeling and pains mentally ill persons go through in their daily lives...(the stigma, the rejection and fear etc.) This interesting piece highlights the importance and the need to show love and care to them.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Even those who don't look down on the mentally ill or mentally handicapped are very uncomfortable around them. My cousin recently starting working for a non-profit that provides support and activities for the mentally handicapped in the community. She said she herself was quite uncomfortable when she had to work directly with the clients, but as you spend time with them, you get over that discomfort. "With knowledge comes power," and I think with the understanding of what these people go through, one can engage with them without all of the discomfort, disgust, and criticism.

Great review. This sounds like an emotional story.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

It's so important to be able to talk openly about the challenges faced by people dealing with mental illnesses. Your review has made me want to read this book. Thank you.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

Sounds like a very sensitive book. Awesome review I must say! I will check it out sometime.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I believe we have so much to learn about many of the issues surrounding mental illness, and it sounds like this book is a valuable teaching tool. I appreciate your excellent review!
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

liftedbooks wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 08:54 This sounds like a great book that highlights a very important subject. Mental illness is a 'taboo' topic in most circles, yet, if talked about more, perhaps more could be done to help the 'mentally ill'. Excellent review. Looking forward to reading the book.
So true! Information is power, and if more people knew more about this important issue, I also believe their general attitude towards sufferers will improve. Thank you for the great comment.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

crediblereading2 wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 08:58 This is a topic that desperately needs to be chimed throughout the world. I have seen many persons laughing and sneering at the mentally ill on many occasions. This is so wrong because no one knows if this illness may not affect him/her in the future. It could also affect a loved one or friend. We have to exercise kindness and good senses. Thank you for such an insightful review.
I love your comment. Making fun of mentally ill people is wrong on so many counts!
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 10:21 Even those who don't look down on the mentally ill or mentally handicapped are very uncomfortable around them. My cousin recently starting working for a non-profit that provides support and activities for the mentally handicapped in the community. She said she herself was quite uncomfortable when she had to work directly with the clients, but as you spend time with them, you get over that discomfort. "With knowledge comes power," and I think with the understanding of what these people go through, one can engage with them without all of the discomfort, disgust, and criticism.

Great review. This sounds like an emotional story.
The way they are despised in our society’s is alarming. Reading the experiences relatedness in this book was truly eye-opening. I totally agree with you that understanding what they have to go through will stir empathy. Thank you for sharing your cousin’s experience.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Julie Green wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 13:09 It's so important to be able to talk openly about the challenges faced by people dealing with mental illnesses. Your review has made me want to read this book. Thank you.
I’m glad the review piqued your interest in this book. Thank you for reading and for your nice comment.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Kemunto lucy wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 14:06 Sounds like a very sensitive book. Awesome review I must say! I will check it out sometime.
Please do! Thank you Lucy.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”