Official Review: Just in Time by Joan L Jackson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Re: Official Review: Just in Time by Joan L Jackson

Post by Supergirl1 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 14:28 I believe we have so much to learn about many of the issues surrounding mental illness, and it sounds like this book is a valuable teaching tool. I appreciate your excellent review!
Thank you. I appreciate your beautiful comments too.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

Schizophrenia is such a misconstrued mental illness. The stigma surrounding it and how people treat people suffering from it is appalling. I am so happy that there are more and more books tackling what it means to have a mental illness and just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't valid. Loved your review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by bellaterrabooks »

Mental illness can be a very isolating part of the healthcare model, especially for the patient and their family members. It is very encouraging that more and more individuals are showing bravery by sharing their stories of mental illness and thereby helping other individuals who are experiencing mental illness to navigate their illness. From your review, it sounds as if this author has done an excellent job of bringing Steve's story to light with respect and sensitivity. It is further promising that the author uses language that is easy for the reader and not necessarily written in textbook form. I will definitely add this book to my list of book to read in the future. :)
Heavenly1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Heavenly1 »

Yes indeed, just in time is a very interesting book to read. Well I think, people in general somehow already have this mindset of thinking that "people with mental illness can possibly hurt us anytime". People in our society mistreated them at times. It would be nice to read this book and gather some insights that will help us to understand people with these conditions...
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A firsthand account of life with a schizophrenic sounds touching. Steve is one lucky guy, having such a caring family. Engaging tale, well-edited, and optimistic tone make for a good read. I had some dealing with someone suffering from mental illness, so I can understand the difficulties. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I was waiting for such an inspiring book to come my way! Schizophrenia and psychiatric disorders, in general, can often go unaddressed or inaccurately portrayed in literature. Thanks for the excellent review!
Jazeljane24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Jazeljane24 »

JUST IN TIME
By: Joan L. Jackson

I learned in this story that no matter how a person suffers from a sickness, he/she will loved by those people sorrounds them. Suffering from a sickness like the protagonist in the story is hard. But by those people who loved him unconditionally, he overcomes it.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Mental illness is a taboo subject and sufferers are often treated with caution by society. The only way to address this issue is by raising awareness with books like these. It is a fascinating subject and I really appreciated your review of this worthy book. Many thanks for your comments.
seki1016
Currently Reading: The Eleventh Commandment
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seki1016.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by seki1016 »

The review is well-written and informative about mental health problems. Therefore, I would like to read the entire book.
soccerts
Favorite Book: Farenheit 451
Currently Reading: Theory of Colours
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerts.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by soccerts »

Wow. This sounds like an incredible book and a story that's sadly not often told. Schizophrenia and other psychiatric disorders are so stigmatized and have been taboo for too long. I'm very excited to give this one a read!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a thought provoking story about the day to day life with a schizophrenic and with themes like kindness, a ceptance, family, and dedication. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @JoanLJackson for the BOTD.
christibrian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christibrian.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by christibrian »

Excellent review! It leaves just enough out to spark curiosity. I've read a couple of books on mental illness, and you are correct, they often leave you in a state of depression. Your review gives me hope that this book is different.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

In "Just in Time" the author depicted the life of a mentally ill person and his social treatment in a very realistic way. An important message this story delivers is that the mentally ill persons need kindness and acceptance from society.
Jacquelyn-63
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacquelyn-63.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Jacquelyn-63 »

I will take a look at this book. It is so sad to see how people treat those that are mentally ill. It is an illness, and many people don’t treat it as such. Thank you for this review.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Steve's support system was taken away, but it sounds like Nancy must have been able to help him live a normal life as possible. It must be difficult for people to have a mental illness because of the added social stigma, misunderstandings, and fears people have. It is good to hear that this story is generally upbeat and positive. I like that it can educate the public about how to be kind towards those suffering from a mental illness and possibly help with understanding more about schizophrenia.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”