Official Review: Tetterbaum's Truth by S.R.Claridge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Official Review: Tetterbaum's Truth by S.R.Claridge

Post by Morgan Jones »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tetterbaum's Truth" by S.R.Claridge.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tetterbaum’s Truth by S.R. Claridge is the story of Angel Martin, a simple and naïve girl who’s nursing a broken heart. She tries to deal with the sorrow of getting abandoned by her ex-fiancé, Tony, by purchasing and running Tetterbaum’s Pub – uninformed that it is the most prominent Mafia hang out in Chicago. Her life takes an extremely dangerous turn when secrets begin to spill and blood paints her hands. Angel’s whole existence has been crafted in order for her identity to remain hidden, but from what? No one can be trusted in this dangerous game of vengeance and it is Angel’s job to find the truth without losing everything she has ever cared for along the way.

This is the first installment in the Just Call Me Angel series. Mrs. Claridge introduces us to the vicious world of Italian Mafias where blood is easily spilled and no one could be trusted. The story starts at a pretty slow pace with Angel portrayed as a normal – and at times boring – character with a smart mouth and a decent sense of humor. Despite radiating a cheerful aura, especially with her colleagues, Angel is suffering from the sudden disappearance of Tony and her ill choices display the consequences of such a hurtful action. She can’t say no to any man who shows the slightest bit of affection towards her, including Grayson – someone who keeps using her pain and need for reassurance to chase his own pleasures.

At first, the buildup of the plot didn’t capture my interest and I thought this would be another poor attempt at delving into the brutal world of Mafias. Angel didn’t seem like the kind of character I would enjoy reading a story about, simply because she was too immature and easily fooled by any man who shows even a small interest in her. However, I was proven wrong when the author begins to cleverly pull us into her traps, making us think that a character is good-willed when they’re actually a black seed. I really enjoyed the suspense of staying in the dark until the very end and getting shocked by plot twists after plot twists.

The description of the Italian Mafia and their merciless antics were realistically portrayed. The author made sure to add a bit of Italian slang and broken English during their conversations, which made the dialogues even more believable considering the characters’ Italian descent. Also, when some members of the Mafia developed a soft spot towards Angel, it still didn’t manage to change their ruthless nature and violent ways – specifically towards her. I commend the author for taking into account that it’s hard for someone to change their true selves and how they were brought up, even if it was for the sake of a loved one.

On the other hand, there were many points in the book the needed some improving. The characterizations, for example, were a bit shallow and lacked the strong foundation needed to create remarkable people. I didn’t find any of the individuals within the book to hold a gripping and interesting personality – if we ignore the fact that all of them were hiding skeletons in their closet. All of them had a quirky sense of humor and were keeping secrets, but that was as deep as they go. Maybe Giovanni was the only character that sparked my interest and had a memorable role in the storyline, purely because his sense of justice contradicted with his violent actions towards his loved ones. Giovanni's character was enigmatic, cunning and held my attention until the end because I couldn't decide whether he was the villain or the savior. Sadly, the rest of the characters were unable to hold my concentration for as long.

The book seemed to be professionally edited and proofread since I didn't find any grammar mistakes or typos.

For the reasons above, I will be rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. I immensely enjoyed the plot and the author’s talent in creating a solid and gripping storyline until the very end. However, if we remove the interesting storyline and the violent scenes, we are left with a bunch of dull characters with a need for revenge and nothing else. I recommend this book for ages above 16 since it contains mild violence and triggering content. I would also recommend it for lovers of a good mystery/thriller book and never-ending suspense, but not for readers searching for unforgettable characters.

Tetterbaum's Truth
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Morgan Jones's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Wow! I am sure that the naive and simplistic Angel Martin didn't deserve to have her heart broken by Tony and afterward to be caught up with the mafia. Thank you for an amazing review.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

The plot certainly seems worth the read. Great review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
MaryEllen223
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryellen223.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MaryEllen223 »

I fully enjoyed this book review. I am just learning how to do this, and I feel your review is a good example of a great review.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

This sounds like a clever and interesting novel. I do like the way you describe the author setting traps to draw you in....
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I enjoyed the way this review was written, it seems to portray this book awesomely well. Whenever there is the Mafia in a storyline, one can imagine that a brilliant plot would ensue....
Mercy5
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mercy5 »

That review actually got me interested in the book and the fact that I'm new here and it caught my attention is amazing . Great review
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

However, I was proven wrong when the author begins to cleverly pull us into her traps, making us think that a character is good-willed when they’re actually a black seed. I really enjoyed the suspense of staying in the dark until the very end and getting shocked by plot twists after plot twists.
I love these kinds of plot twists! I'm also interested to see how Angel's character surprised you. Thanks for the great review!
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

crediblereading2 wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 10:14 Wow! I am sure that the naive and simplistic Angel Martin didn't deserve to have her heart broken by Tony and afterward to be caught up with the mafia. Thank you for an amazing review.
Angel's suffering really touched me throughout the book and I kept rooting for her inner peace. Which is why I was extremely satisfied with the unexpected ending😊 Thank you for commenting!😁
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

daydreaming reader wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 10:20 The plot certainly seems worth the read. Great review.
It really is! Thank you for commenting😁
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

MaryEllen223 wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 10:52 I fully enjoyed this book review. I am just learning how to do this, and I feel your review is a good example of a great review.
Oh wow thank you for your sweet words! Once you get the hang of it, I am sure you'll write amazing reviews that I would love to read! Best of luck!😁
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

Julie Green wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 14:12 This sounds like a clever and interesting novel. I do like the way you describe the author setting traps to draw you in....
It was the best aspect of the book indeed and I really enjoyed the suspense😁 Thank you for commenting!
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

Dahmy 10 wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 14:57 I enjoyed the way this review was written, it seems to portray this book awesomely well. Whenever there is the Mafia in a storyline, one can imagine that a brilliant plot would ensue....
Thank you so much! And I agree with you, books that include the Mafia are always bound to be interesting!😁
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

Cecilia_L wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 18:18
However, I was proven wrong when the author begins to cleverly pull us into her traps, making us think that a character is good-willed when they’re actually a black seed. I really enjoyed the suspense of staying in the dark until the very end and getting shocked by plot twists after plot twists.
I love these kinds of plot twists! I'm also interested to see how Angel's character surprised you. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you so much! The whole book didn't leave me anytime to breathe😂 and the ending was extremely unexpected too! Highly recommend it😁
arinola grace
Currently Reading: A Tome of Order Magic
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arinola-grace.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B077RNJR5N

Post by arinola grace »

I really enjoyed your review and i'm looking forward to reading the book although if the beginning is as boring as it sounds I might skip it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”