Official Review: The Extraordinary Journey of Vivienne Ma...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: The Extraordinary Journey of Vivienne Ma...

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Extraordinary Journey of Vivienne Marshall" by Shannon Kirk.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Vivienne Marshall is 35 years old. She's on her way home from work, checking her phone while walking, when she's sideswiped by a car and gets sent to the ICU. Her diagnosis is grim, and while she lies dying, she's visited by her not-husband (it's a long story that eventually gets told), her son, and her flamboyant nurse from the South. Even as her life continues in the real world, she's sucked into an afterlife where she's met by her childhood sweetheart, Noah. There, Noah tells her that before she dies, she's allowed to view other people's Heavens and use them for inspiration before choosing one of her own. She isn't allowed to view the Heavens of close family members, so instead she visits the Heavens of a priest, her best friend, a homeless child she saw abroad once, and the man who got away but left her with a precious gift.

The Extraordinary Journey of Vivienne Marshall, written by Shannon Kirk, is different from the norm in so many ways. Vivienne must accept that she is dying, but in return she experiences so much freedom and learns so much from the people she visits in their afterlives. The connections between the Heavens are surreal, making the reader wonder just how life after death works, especially since items from the real world end up in the priest's Heaven and the dead seem to have no problem coming and going from one Heaven to another. Not only that, but the book has so many different stories going on at once, in the past, present, and future. Despite that and the large cast of characters, the novel isn't confusing in the least.

I almost want to compare Kirk to a spider because of the way she was able to weave so many storylines together in a perfect web. Each character had a backstory that made them easy to remember and empathize with, but not all of their stories led right back to Vivienne. Some of them, such as with her nurse, were placed out on the edge of the web, only the thinnest of lines tying them back into the main story. This was the most intriguing part of the novel for me, and I groaned in frustration when Vivienne was jerked in and out of consciousness, knowing that I would have to wait to read the continuation of that person's story.

All-in-all, the characters were unique and completely relatable. The only thing that bothered me a bit was Kirk's writing style, which took some time to get used to. To be honest there's nothing wrong with her style, it's just not my personal preference. I don't think other readers would have a problem with it. Most of the errors I found were related to punctuation and verb tense usage.

I struggled a lot in deciding whether to give the book 3 or 4 stars. It took me a while to get into the writing style and start liking Vivienne as a person (especially after witnessing the stupid mistake that caused her death) but once I was over those hurdles, I found that the book truly was interesting and memorable. I would definitely watch it if it were made into a movie. I honestly wish I could give it 3.5 stars because my issues with the novel were resolved halfway through, but in the end I decided to give The Extraordinary Journey of Vivienne Marshall 3 out of 4 stars. The book is PG-13 and can be enjoyed by readers of all ages. I would highly recommend it to readers who enjoy touching tales and surreal stories with many secrets and plot twists.

The Extraordinary Journey of Vivienne Marshall
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

The plot sounds unusual. I would like to check this out. Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Nyam Theresa
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Nyam Theresa »

the story is quite touching i cant wait to really read this book nice review you really touched main points. thank you so much
Sheilayano
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sheilayano »

This book's review is very interesting and out of the norm can't wait to read it.
al_princessg
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by al_princessg »

the chance of seeing things you dont see and experiencing them before you die is one lucky chance but acceptance of dying after a great experience would make you want to live again
osayuwamen6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osayuwamen6.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by osayuwamen6 »

Nice review! The book it's about a girl that had an heavenly experience before death who wasn't allowed to view the heaven's of her close family members, now one can learn what it's like in an out-of-body experience. I can't wait to read this Book.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Thank you for the review. This book sounds like a thrill and I like how the author managed to write about the past, present and future and also properly develop the characters at the same time. Life after death, looking forward to reading it.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I get thrills just from reading your review of this book. The author is indeed an artistic genius as depicted by her concept of the after-life. Great review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a really creative read with food for thought. I appreciate your excellent review!
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Loved how you used the analogy of a spider to demonstrate the author's skill!
Nidaconhh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidaconhh.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Nidaconhh »

Excellent review for a brilliant author! The book sounds too interesting and out of norm story. My next wish list.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”