Review by Kishor Rao -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wil...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Review by Kishor Rao -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wil...

Post by Kishor Rao » 05 Jul 2018, 16:02

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

ILLUSTRATED SHORT FICTION OF WILLIAM H. COLES: 2000-2016- REVIEW

This book by the author William H. Coles has thirty three short stories, two graphic novels and a novella. The stories have been written and gathered for over sixteen years which signifies the author’s care and passion for this particular piece of work.

Each story starts with a graphic picture which is supposed to express the very emotion and purpose of the story. I personally did not connect with these illustrations but it might be just my perception of the story which might have been different from the illustrator.

A change-of-emotion-and-perception theme is seen in almost all the stories. The very frank expression of human emotions whether it might be hatred, jealousy, love, contempt and various others stands out. This makes the characters very naked to the readers who can easily understand them and connect to them in an instant.

An abrupt end is observed in many of the stories which serves well to some of the stories but does not end well for many others. The character arc is left unconcluded and the flow of emotion is cut short. In some stories characters go out of their place and do things which are not expected of them.

The novella Sister Carrie deserves a special mention. It is beautifully written with so intricate emotions. The relationship between the two sisters enhances the quality of the story adding to the curiosity which the story builds with each chapter. It has a profound maturity in its narrative style and will definitely remain with the readers for a long time.

The two graphic novels are the graphic depiction of two of the short stories Homunculus and Reddog. These graphic novels totally lost me in their narrative. I understood the story nonetheless as I had already read the stories in words.

My favorites of the lot were Suchin’s Escape, The Inedible Myth, Big Gene and Sister Carrie to name a few. This book is for those people who enjoy reading a book full of emotions and are ready to feel for the characters unabashedly. I rate this book 2 out of 4. It did not make me content and satisfied after reading each of the stories. There is a missing factor in many of them which I cannot particularly point out and this missing factor made this a less enjoyable read for me.

HAPPY READING!

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Kishor Rao's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”