Review by toniallan86 -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
toniallan86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toniallan86.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Review by toniallan86 -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by toniallan86 » 04 Jul 2018, 22:48

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Darwin is an orphan who has been sent to live with his famous footballer cousin, Luther in New York. Up until this point he was living with his aunt who always gave him his allowance to live and look after himself. His cousin on the other hand believes you have to earn your keep and shouldn't rely on trust funds. He therefore becomes a servant for his cousin, and then his right-hand man when it comes to his questionable lifestyle and gambling problems.

Darwin's dream is to become a doctor just like his dad was, and for that he needs to go to the best school, and get the best education. With his cousin's lifestyle and him not being particularly liked in the neighbourhood, his chances of getting into the local private school are very slim, so he contacts Dr Malverne, who he met on his flight to New York, and he gets him the endorsement he needs to be enrolled. Darwin now has a mentor in Dr Malverne.

"I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars". I rated it a 2 because the story really lacked in keeping me completely engaged in it. There was too much of the storyline missing, which made it quite a confusing story to read.

I found the first 5 chapters of the book slow to get into. I could have been because I was so caught up that there was a grammar error on the first line of the book. But I was still reading it into the tiny hours of the night.

The book had some good storylines, like when the former cop turned security guard of Luther's estate, takes on a private investigator role into a strange homicide, that Luther is a suspect of.

I felt the story was lacking some pretty important information. To find out Darwin was getting married was a shock, because there was no relationship mentioned before that point. It really made you want to know about the relationship as he was marrying someone who was featured a lot in the book.

I also felt the relationship between Darwin and his cousin's wife was a little bit too unrealistic. It was like the author was forcing there to be a story between them, when there didn't need to be one.

This story would appeal to people who like crime, mystery and romance all in the one book.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like toniallan86's review? Post a comment saying so!

divinefavour5524178
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by divinefavour5524178 » 05 Jul 2018, 10:05

This story would appeal to people who like crime, mystery and romance all in the one book.

Good7girl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Good7girl » 06 Jul 2018, 15:04

This book was lacking some key information. A young man who wanted a better life for himself, sent to stay with an Uncle already with financial issues. Good things that he has a mentor who can give him the right directions.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”