Official Review: Permission Granted: The Journey from Tra...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Official Review: Permission Granted: The Journey from Tra...

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Permission Granted: The Journey from Trauma to Healing" by Dr. Kathleen carterMartinez.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Permission Granted offers advice to those who are dealing with or dealt with trauma, and those who have loved ones dealing with trauma. Filled with insights, poems, and ways to gain control of your life, Permission Granted is a book needed in a time where increasing amounts of people are coming forward with their stories of sexual assault, abuse, and rape.

Dr.Kathleen carterMartinez Ed.D writes a calm read filled with motivation and some unpleasant truths. The theme around her teaching is that we are in control, recovery is a lifelong process, and loving yourself is critical. Her writing style combines her academic teachings with Native American inspirations and teachings, and Buddhist teachings, all nicely rounded off with some beautiful poetry. While I am no poetry buff, her poem ‘If all you can do’ was a wonderful reminder to do what you can and to power through.

The book is written in five parts, each part discussing a new theme. Part one: Trauma; part two: Choices; part three: Healing; part four: Recovery, and part five: Voices. Something I genuinely enjoyed was that after the conclusion, she added a 14th chapter containing anonymous stories from women that have endured their trauma.

Another thing I liked was that although there are Buddhist teachings, the author keeps it respectful and unobtrusive. The whole time while reading Permission Granted, I felt like Rafiki from The Lion King was imparting his wisdom on me while combing my hair. It contributed to a relaxing atmosphere that made me absorb a difficult subject with relative ease.
We are what we believe we are.
While the book does look professionally edited, there were quite a few spelling errors and missed commas, as well as some words missing the letter ‘l’ and random capitalization in chapter 14. I'm glad to admit that it didn’t really distract from the whole read. The author also repeated many points, which I understand as it contributes to the whole theme, but sometimes it became a bit too repetitive. The writing would also become a bit pretentious by using words like ‘capitulate’ where it would have been better to merely use plainer English, especially with the subjects that were being dealt with.

I rate Permission Granted 3 out of 4 stars. The author’s motivations and teachings resonated with me and I am much more aware of what I say, and how to support those dealing with trauma. I would recommend Permission Granted to those dealing with their own trauma or who want to support a friend or a loved one who has dealt with trauma grow, move forward and prosper.

Permission Granted: The Journey from Trauma to Healing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I know you mentioned traumas such as rape and sexual abuse, but what about traumas such as adoption or abandonment? Would this book be general enough to support healing from those types of traumas as well?
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author has taken on a difficult subject. I really like how your review explains how this book could be helpful to people have suffered some of these traumas and have felt helpless. It is hard to break through the walls they have built up and receive help. Good job!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is a book that is, unfortunately, very necessary today. I'm glad to say that I don't really have need of it, but it sounds wonderful for those who do. I'll keep it in mind for those that I know in my life. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 07:03 I know you mentioned traumas such as rape and sexual abuse, but what about traumas such as adoption or abandonment? Would this book be general enough to support healing from those types of traumas as well?
While it does predominantly focus on rape and sexual assault, I personally believe it could apply to any type of trauma.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

kdstrack wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 08:09 The author has taken on a difficult subject. I really like how your review explains how this book could be helpful to people have suffered some of these traumas and have felt helpless. It is hard to break through the walls they have built up and receive help. Good job!
It is very hard and while she is sensitive, she treats the reader like an equal. She talks a lot about 'we' instead of 'I' and 'you'.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 08:57 This is a book that is, unfortunately, very necessary today. I'm glad to say that I don't really have need of it, but it sounds wonderful for those who do. I'll keep it in mind for those that I know in my life. Thanks for the review.
I think most people, like me, know someone who has gone through something like this and it's great that she writes for those that have dealt with trauma but also those seeking to help friends or family. It made a world difference to me.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, I’m glad it resonated with you which indicates that the book is doing its job.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I am always on board for finding quality books about trauma and recovering from it, for my own sake and for the sake of people I work with. I'll be checking this one out, I'm sure. It's also refreshing that she uses different cultural approaches and poetry.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

As you mentioned, I think most of us have either personally experienced some type of trauma or supported loved ones who have. This sounds like a relevant book with soothing undertones. Thank you for the recommendation!
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

This is a timely book in my opinion. A lot of trauma causing incidents and abuse have been happening of late and there are lots of people who need such a book for support.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Helen_Combe wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 12:58 Great review, I’m glad it resonated with you which indicates that the book is doing its job.
Completely agree. Thank you
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

KatSims92 wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 15:00 I am always on board for finding quality books about trauma and recovering from it, for my own sake and for the sake of people I work with. I'll be checking this one out, I'm sure. It's also refreshing that she uses different cultural approaches and poetry.
It was. She writes a much more personal read, which I enjoyed immensely. There was nothing clinical about this book.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Cecilia_L wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 15:17 As you mentioned, I think most of us have either personally experienced some type of trauma or supported loved ones who have. This sounds like a relevant book with soothing undertones. Thank you for the recommendation!
It is definitely very soothing and very important. Thank you for the lovely comment.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

KitabuKitamu wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 21:26 This is a timely book in my opinion. A lot of trauma causing incidents and abuse have been happening of late and there are lots of people who need such a book for support.
It's great that people are comfortable enough to finally start talking about rape and sexual assault. I hope it brings with it some change.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”