Official Review: Permission Granted: The Journey from Tra...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
User avatar
Kendra M Parker
Posts: 395
Joined: 07 Apr 2018, 07:49
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 68
Currently Reading: Teaching from Rest
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
Location: Virginia

Re: Official Review: Permission Granted: The Journey from Tra...

Post by Kendra M Parker » 06 Jul 2018, 07:06

JR Mercier wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 09:55
Kendra M Parker wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 07:03
I know you mentioned traumas such as rape and sexual abuse, but what about traumas such as adoption or abandonment? Would this book be general enough to support healing from those types of traumas as well?
While it does predominantly focus on rape and sexual assault, I personally believe it could apply to any type of trauma.
Thank you for that assessment!

User avatar
gen_g
Posts: 817
Joined: 22 Apr 2018, 10:31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by gen_g » 06 Jul 2018, 09:36

Thank you for the lovely review! It seems like an emotional and inspiring read, and I liked your reference to The Lion King!

User avatar
Good7girl
Posts: 9
Joined: 06 Jul 2018, 08:07
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Good7girl » 06 Jul 2018, 14:56

This book touches a wide range of people male and female. Abuse, sexual, verbal, mental affects our friends, family and ourselves. Being a person who suffered physical abuse. I can understand this book.

User avatar
Faithmwangi
Posts: 179
Joined: 03 Aug 2017, 13:40
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Location: kilifi

Post by Faithmwangi » 06 Jul 2018, 18:20

Thanks for the review. I wouldn't read the book for me but possibly those around me. Often those around us are either grief-stricken or are simply going through traumatic experiences and when they look to us for help, we neither know what to say nor how to act. It sounds like the book has this covered.

User avatar
JR Mercier
Posts: 522
Joined: 23 May 2018, 05:03
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Location: South Africa

Post by JR Mercier » 08 Jul 2018, 05:10

Good7girl wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 14:56
This book touches a wide range of people male and female. Abuse, sexual, verbal, mental affects our friends, family and ourselves. Being a person who suffered physical abuse. I can understand this book.
It makes me so sad when I see how many people, myself included, have been affected. I pray that this new world and speaking out about these things will lead to a better future.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

User avatar
JR Mercier
Posts: 522
Joined: 23 May 2018, 05:03
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Location: South Africa

Post by JR Mercier » 08 Jul 2018, 05:11

Faithmwangi wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 18:20
Thanks for the review. I wouldn't read the book for me but possibly those around me. Often those around us are either grief-stricken or are simply going through traumatic experiences and when they look to us for help, we neither know what to say nor how to act. It sounds like the book has this covered.
That is one of the things I loved about this book. The writer has advice on both. She even explains the differences between sympathy and empathy and how they usually feel to the traumatized person. Thank you for the great comment.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

User avatar
JR Mercier
Posts: 522
Joined: 23 May 2018, 05:03
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Location: South Africa

Post by JR Mercier » 11 Jul 2018, 03:57

Kendra M Parker wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 07:06
JR Mercier wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 09:55
Kendra M Parker wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 07:03
I know you mentioned traumas such as rape and sexual abuse, but what about traumas such as adoption or abandonment? Would this book be general enough to support healing from those types of traumas as well?
While it does predominantly focus on rape and sexual assault, I personally believe it could apply to any type of trauma.
Thank you for that assessment!
No problem! I love that you asked because it is very important and I should have mentioned that in my review. Thank you and I hope this book helps those who choose to read it.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

Post Reply

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”