Official Review: Masks by Nataly Restokian

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: Masks by Nataly Restokian

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Masks" by Nataly Restokian.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What does it take to live a happy life? Most people would think that having fame, power, and money makes one happy. Nataly Restokian wrote the novel, Masks, to take the reader through the kind of lives that most television celebrities go through.

The book is a fiction novel based on real-life events. Anna, the protagonist of the story, is a famous and successful celebrity in the Arab world. The story of Anna takes the reader through the life of a woman who wants to break all the rules of the society and find her way to fame. Does fame really bring happiness to an individual?

Anna is legally Vasag’s wife. However, she has a romantic affair with a man who is old enough to be her grandfather, Abbas. Sadly, her affair with Abbas is not the only immoral relationship. She has had sexual encounters with high-ranking people in the Arab community including a member of the royal family. She has also been in same-sex relationships. According to the author, the social influence of her lovers and acquaintances fueled her television presence. She became a popular television presenter in the Arab world. At some point, her television show becomes the best in the Arab world. Her parents, Asbed and Melineh, did not like her behavior. Her mother kept warning and advising her against her ambition that made her do away with her moral judgment. However, she would hear none of it since all she wanted was money, fame, and power. When she met Joe, her life changed for the better. She believes that Joe would offer her true love and happiness. Driven by the love of Joe, she leaves everything behind including her hard-earned fame, money, and assets. She divorces her husband and marries Joe. She leaves Lebanon and accompanies Joe to his homeland-Canada.

I liked several aspects of the story. The style of writing is simple and easy to understand. The author has brilliantly developed the characters of the story. Every new character adds flesh to the story. For instance, aunt Araxi is depicted as the person who would support the protagonist’s ideas and choices regardless of the outcome. This gives a beautiful contrast to her parents' beliefs. Additionally, the author has been able to bring several historical aspects to the story to back her points. For instance, she uses the Armenian genocide to explain how her parents ended up in Lebanon. The book does not have many errors.

Unfortunately, I felt that the author did not spice up the story to give it some masterful twists and turns. In many instances, she uses the thoughts of Anna to bring out crucial information to the reader. This makes the story quite monotonous since the reader is tuned to believing that Anna will get lost in her thoughts and later snap back into action. The author should have included other avenues to substantiating Anna’s story. For this reason, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I would not give it a lower score because the story is quite captivating. It takes the reader through the struggles that women in the show industry go through. Furthermore, the few errors that I noted did not distract me from reading the story. It needs to be spiced up to be able to get a perfect score. I recommend it to everyone who is interested in learning more about the struggles of celebrities within the show industry. However, I have to warn the reader that the book contains graphic scenes.

Masks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

The book cover is poignant, the title of the book also represents the book accurately. I love the storyline too, from what I have read from your review, it seems to bear a motivational tone, I should read this book...

Thanks for this awesome review, it's very well appreciated; I hope Anna made the right choice by choosing Joe.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This plot sounds really interesting, and I sense there is more to the story between Anna and Joe. I really enjoyed your review!
Paiges-reads
Favorite Book: Immortals' Requiem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paiges-reads.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Paiges-reads »

It is interesting to think about what people go through behind the camera, especially in people that the general public focus on, like celebrities. This sounds like an intriguing book, especially, since she goes against what is socially acceptable. Thank you for the review!
Sharon serena
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-serena.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sharon serena »

I love the cover of the book. Personally, I think that this book also relates to our society today and the troubles women face to rise up. I love the plot of the book. This book is definitely a good read for me. Nice review!
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

It is funny how authors tend to use the same names for certain types of characters. Since 50 Shades of Grey became popular, I've noticed quite a few promiscuous characters in fiction books named Anna. It seems like Anna is the go-to name for a sexy female character!

I also just finished a book where an Alice was able to see the future through visions, much like the character in Twilight. I wonder if it's all just coincidence?
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Interesting plot. I think fame, power and money can bring happiness at times, it just depends on how you go about acquiring them. That being sad, I think Anna would be a very unhappy person throughout this book. Nice review.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

It's interesting how people think they will find fulfilment in power, money and fame. They get there, then they realise they still have a void that needs to be filled. I am glad that Anna finally found something that held more meaning to her than the material things in life. Generally, I like the review and I am sure I would like the book too.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Of course, money and fame are not the only answers to one's happiness. I must confess that they may help, but finding one's true happiness is to find the Creator and have a meaningful relationship with him. Thank you for your amazing review.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Very interesting. The cover is great. I like the theme to the book. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

What does it take to live a happy life? Most people would think that having fame, power, and money makes one happy.
I won't be able to count how many times I've encountered that question. More often than not, though, the answer isn't one of those three things you've mentioned. Thank you for your succinct and honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Sounds like this book has well-developed characters: something I really like in a book. It's a pity that the plot isn't improved for the better. It sounds like it has potential. Thanks for this honest review! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”