Official Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Bundle of Colorful Yarns" by Louis Winslow.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow is an eclectic collection of short stories loosely bound by, as the name implies, a few somewhat-related motifs. Though the stories vary in topic, many of them focus on outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing, and hunting. Several take place in Mexico and seem to all center on one particular region of the country, though each story has a unique set of characters with unique experiences.

Though a majority of the stories are simple and down-to-earth, or at most mildly ironic, a handful of them cross over into the paranormal. There are a few stories featuring ghosts, one featuring Bigfoot, one with a magical (or possessed?) painting, and a few that explore the paranormal aspect of hypnosis, mind-altering chemicals, and dream imagery. Some of the stories feature violence as well as descriptions of sexual acts so this book may not be the best choice for minors, though compared to some other books, these stories are still fairly tame.

I found the topics of the short stories to be quaint and amusing, and each one was short and easy to digest. Unfortunately, the brevity also lent itself to a scantiness of character and scene development, so some of the stories were missing an element of authenticity that would have been easier to relay with the addition of descriptors and character back-story. There were also quite a few spelling errors throughout. The stories themselves, though not boring, sometimes ended on an anticlimactic note (I found this to be true mostly in the first half of the collection). Sometimes the endings were a bit absurd, or left me scratching my head and wondering what the exact point was.

Finally, one of the unique things about this particular collection is that almost every story seems to be told in the same narrative voice. Though only a handful of them were specifically autobiographical (for example, several stories spaced throughout the collection mentioned the author’s son having died a few years ago), almost every story, including the fiction ones, focus on the experiences of a man - usually middle-aged or older. The dialogue was structured in a very similar style despite the characters in the stories being different, and the pacing and descriptions were written consistently as well. Though this did lend itself to more cohesion than a typical story collection, it seemed as if the book would have benefited by combining the numerous short stories into a smaller number of longer stories, with better character development and depth.

I struggled with rating this book 2 or 3 stars out of 4, but settled finally on 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the negatives mentioned above, by the end of the collection I felt as if I had gotten to know and admire the author. This is not always possible with a short story collection, as sometimes the topics can be so widely varied that it is difficult to discern the author’s true stance on anything. However, in this collection it was clear that the same person wrote every word, and the same experiences shaped every plotpoint. I recommend this book to readers who prefer short, sometimes-absurd, amusing reads, especially on topics pertaining to wilderness and outdoor activities.

A Bundle of Colorful Yarns
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I agree that with a short story collection it can be a challenge to develop depth of characters and plot. I like your suggestion of combining some of the stories to create a smaller collection. I think I would enjoy a collection with the narrative consistency you described. Thanks for the great review!
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

Sounds like a very interesting short story collection. Personally, I'm not sure whether the use of the same narrative voice and similar central characters is something I would like. I usually prefer a variety of character types in collections like this. However, I like how you say it allows you to get to know the author better, and I'm a big fan of supernatural short stories, so I might just give this a read.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Short story collections are difficult. How do you get enough information while still keeping the story short? It sounds like the author did fairly well with this. I just don't think, though, that the topics would be enough to interest me. I'm going to pass on this one for now, but I do appreciate the depth of information here. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

It's disappointing that the narrative voice didn't seem to change! A varied set of characters always makes a short story collection for me. It still sounds like it has great merits though. Thanks for the review.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

This certainly sounds like a book that has been named well. The absurd nature of the stories is definitely a plus. It could be a fun read sometime.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

This is a nice review. However, I am still not drawn to short stories and I won't be pursuing this particular read.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Sophia19
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sophia19 »

This is a nice Review.. I love short stories and I will be pursuing this particular read :techie-studyingbrown:
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Short stories are always an easy read.
Thank you for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
MagensWife1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magenswife1995.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by MagensWife1995 »

Wow this book sounds awesome. I love anything paranormal and multiple shorts? Sign me up. Great review, thanks!
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

I really enjoy collections of short stories, so I will definitely be putting this on my to-read list. A lack of character development doesn't typically bother me as long as the overall theme of the short story is appropriately relayed.
Pink flamingo21

Post by Pink flamingo21 »

I'm not a big fan of short stories but the title of the book sounds cool..tho, would love to follow up
grace8031
Currently Reading: Rats on the train
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace8031.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by grace8031 »

Wow great review. love the approach you have taken to define all the stories. Sounds so interesting and the blends with your review.
Maemuna
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maemuna.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Maemuna »

quite nice review. You written so well that I am inspired to read this book.
Tyella

Post by Tyella »

Sounds like something I would like to read. I think I prefer getting to peek into an authors mind and experiences through his story.
Thank you for the review. It's excellent.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”