Official Review: Will I Fly Again ? by Sara Tula

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Will I Fly Again ? by Sara Tula

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Will I Fly Again ?" by Sara Tula.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sara Tula is now a Chicagoan working as an accountant in a charitable organization that serves women, children, and others in need. In Will I Fly Again?, she shares the story of her life to empower women like her who have gone through many struggles. Born poor in rural Poland, she meets a lot of obstacles as she follows her dreams of getting a good education and building a happy family.

Sara narrates her story with wonderful English that belies her foreign origins. She writes with passion and simplicity, allowing the reader to connect with her and journey with her as she transforms from a fragile teener to the strong woman that she is today.

She was raped at 17 while in Poland; she kept the secret to herself. Her Aunt Helen’s offer to bring her to America to continue her schooling came at that point, and she grabbed it as the opportunity to escape her disgrace. Unfortunately, her aunt’s home in Chicago was not the haven she thought it would be. Helen and her husband Joe refused to send her to school and forced her to get menial jobs (as only those were available to non-English speakers). Despite these setbacks, Sara learned English from kind nuns and sent herself to school while working her fingers to the bone. When she started earning well, Helen and Joe charged her for board and lodging and other household expenses until she left them to live with her boyfriend Mark.

Mark was no hero either as he shed his loving facade and proved to be a lazy bum soon after they got married. Sara had to work hard to keep them all afloat. She had to keep two jobs, singlehandedly care for their two sons, and pander to Mark’s and her mother Harriet’s demands.

Her life seemed to be one trial after another, but her faith gave her the strength and peace to carry on.

Sara’s story will give hope to women of all ages, especially those who feel deprived and helpless. Young readers are welcome as there are no graphic scenes or foul words to watch out for. The book will also appeal to Christians because Sara, a devout Catholic, uses prayer as her refuge many times; she is a long-suffering and forgiving daughter, wife, mother, and niece.

The inclusion of several letters to and from her family in Poland is a nice touch as it boosts the authenticity of the story. The use of flashbacks to compare her life in Poland to her prevailing situation in Chicago also feels very natural. We also learn about Polish traditions like the oczepiny (unveiling the bride) and the Boze Cialo celebration (Pentecost rites). (Google told me, however, that Boze Cialo means Christ’s Body which is a Catholic feast celebrated ten days after Pentecost.)

While I found myself rooting for Sara to win all her battles, the story had some low points. There were scenes that were described in so much detail even when such was not warranted. These scenes include the visit to the American consulate for her visa, her food cravings while conceiving her first child, a taxi ride to buy diapers, and the minute details of a friend’s wedding. These superfluous side stories make the reader’s attention waver.

There were some observations about Mark’s behavior that were not explained. He was described as mumbling unfamiliar names and places; he was also shown as having wads of cash. I was kept wondering about the relevance of those statements.

I noted some inconsistencies in the dates and ages. Since the story spanned three decades, there was bound to be some failure of memory. A good editor could have spotted those inconsistencies.

The ending was abrupt; it gave me a “That’s it?” frown. I am actually not sure if I got a complete copy as that was the last page of the PDF file that I downloaded.

Grammar lapses also peppered the pages. The slips mostly related to punctuation (missing commas and hyphens, generally), run-on sentences (particularly in Mark’s dialogue), and a few missing words.

I give Sara’s story 2 out of 4 stars. Clearing the grammatical errors, obscurities, and inconsistencies and weeding out the superfluous details will catapult this story to 4 stars.

The cover features a canary in an open cage. Sara’s father had a favorite story about birds. Sara herself kept birds as pets. One can see that she likens herself to a bird. If you want to answer her question in the title, read her story. As for me, I wish she would not only fly but soar.

Will I Fly Again ?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the lovely review, this seems like an inspiring read. I would definitely like to know more about Sara; I will definitely place this on my to-read list.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Sara sounds like a strong woman to have prevailed through so many trials. It would be inspiring to read her story. Thanks for your informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

The author struggles are interesting and inspiring but too bad about the editing though. The synthesis of her story in your review is good. thanks.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Wow, Helen and Joe sound like jerks. Good on Sara for persevering :)
When I saw the Canary on the cover, I was surprised that you had chosen another animal book to review! So thanks for the explanation.
Thanks, as always, for a wonderful review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

Will I fly again, that sounds like a very motivating title; and from what you have here spelt out, I think it is worthy of our attention...

I hope the issues depreciating it's value could be resolved...
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sounds like it might be inspiring. Hopefully they clean up the errors. Thanks for the honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

"Out of the frying pan into the fire." This phrase definitely summarizes Sara's life. It's surprising how much many women have to endure in life. Rape, betrayal, facade, among other things. It seems Sara's story is an interesting read that can give courage to many women. Too bad about the editing errors. Thanks Miriam for the great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

While I admire your description of Sara's faith and perseverance, I really dislike abrupt endings. I loved how you concluded your review, and I too, hope Sara soars. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I applaud Sara for helping others with her life. I'm glad that you got some good out of this, but I hate when stories end and you just feel incomplete. That's not a good feeling and will probably keep me from reading this book. Thanks for another good review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

gen_g wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 00:17 Thank you for the lovely review, this seems like an inspiring read. I would definitely like to know more about Sara; I will definitely place this on my to-read list.
Her story feels like a tearful soap opera (of course, she was a dishwasher in the beginning); she suffered so many trials. Do read her book and remember to share with me how it goes.

Thanks for the lovely comment.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

stacie k wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 01:24 Sara sounds like a strong woman to have prevailed through so many trials. It would be inspiring to read her story. Thanks for your informative review!
She is definitely one strong woman. I am sure your lovely dog will enjoy Sara's story, too. (Sara had a dog named Polo.)
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 03:05 Wow, Helen and Joe sound like jerks. Good on Sara for persevering :)
When I saw the Canary on the cover, I was surprised that you had chosen another animal book to review! So thanks for the explanation.
Thanks, as always, for a wonderful review!
Yes, they are indeed. And I didn't even mention the worst of their misdeeds!

Thanks for the wonderful comment, wonderful Member of the Month!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

julessawyer wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 01:54 The author struggles are interesting and inspiring but too bad about the editing though. The synthesis of her story in your review is good. thanks.
I wish the book was edited better, too. But that's a little struggle that Sara will definitely hurdle with flying colors.

Thanks for sharing your two cents, Julessawyer.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Dahmy 10 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 03:35 Will I fly again, that sounds like a very motivating title; and from what you have here spelt out, I think it is worthy of our attention...

I hope the issues depreciating it's value could be resolved...
Hi, Dahmy 10! I do hope she will have the errors resolved.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”