Official Review: For The Love of Your Hollow Body

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: For The Love of Your Hollow Body

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "For The Love of Your Hollow Body" by S.W. Rose.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What is real, and what isn’t? How are we sure that what we call reality is actually real? Are our dreams reality, our waking lives mere imagination? Come dance the fine blurry lines between reality and illusion in For thé Love of Your Hollow Body.

Alice’s love for music transcends all. Music resonates deep in her soul and she seeks the message in each song she loves. So sacred is this love that she has a rule not to date a musician, a rule she breaks when she falls for the musician Lewis. As intense as their relationship was, her deep-seated fear that it would not last finally becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, through her own actions. She takes recreational drugs because she thinks they make her cool, make her a part of the music family. She gets raped by a stranger and doesn’t say a word; for a while, she even blames herself for the rape. Would Alice ever find stability and happiness just being herself?

Using music and the world of music as a sounding board, this book takes a critical look at human behavior. Who we really are, or think we are. What we believe in, or think we believe in. The motivating forces in our lives. For Alice, it’s music. She lives, breathes and even believes she would die for music. She saves up her money to support music and musicians she believes in. But she isn’t all sparkles. She has self-doubt, like most humans. Alice tries to fit in with the crowd. She wants to feel loved, but is too scared to let herself love fully.

Author S.W. Rose calls this book a “collection of lies,” because she believes there is no such thing as absolute truth. She employs a writing style that is different and intriguing. Each chapter starts with a quote, or with lyrics from a song. Sometimes I could not tell what was real and what was not, and I found this book rather confusing at first. However, as I read on, I could feel the different puzzling pieces of the story come together. In all, this book felt like a beautiful mosaic; you need to step back from gazing at one spot and open your eyes to see the full picture. For readers that are not very patient, this book may feel like a chore. But if you do stick it out, you may come to appreciate the story.

I rate this beautiful book 4 out of 4 stars. A part of me wants to chew the author out for making my brain work at so many puzzling thoughts, but then I feel that’s exactly what gives this book power and punch. If you are a deep thinker, a lover of music and art, then I have found a wonderful book for you. It’s called For the Love of Your Hollow Body.

For The Love of Your Hollow Body
View: on Bookshelves

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds like an intense read. The need to feel loved is a powerful force. I’m sorry it led Alice down a dangerous path. I’m glad you came to appreciate the thought provoking story!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Kashosi
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kashosi.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Kashosi »

I am a very deep thinker and i would want to read this so eagerly. Thank you for the review
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

I love music and art, but I don't think I'll enjoy this novel. Sounds tragic to me. Creepy too. Thanks for this.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

While I like the questions that are prompted from the book, I find blurred lines in plots frustrating. Thank you for your interesting review!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

This seems like such a strong postmodern concept with questioning reality, truth and ourselves. I’m intrigued by the ideas and interested by the way the conceptual writing makes a reader think. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Maybe it's too early for me, but this book does not sound like my kind of fun. It's a bit too deep and too postmodern for me. I think I'll pass on this one, but I do appreciate the information. I like a different kind of thinking book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

stacie k wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 01:07 This sounds like an intense read. The need to feel loved is a powerful force. I’m sorry it led Alice down a dangerous path. I’m glad you came to appreciate the thought provoking story!
Intense is the correct word. Thank you! :D :D
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 17:26 This seems like such a strong postmodern concept with questioning reality, truth and ourselves. I’m intrigued by the ideas and interested by the way the conceptual writing makes a reader think. Great review!
Thank you Kendra. Your comment is very much appreciated.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 07:35 Maybe it's too early for me, but this book does not sound like my kind of fun. It's a bit too deep and too postmodern for me. I think I'll pass on this one, but I do appreciate the information. I like a different kind of thinking book.
:D :D You got me at “I like a different kind of thinking book.” I agree it’s really not a very fun book.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

The book does get you asking some deep questions and questioning reality.Frankly, i think what i've gotten from the review is enough and i wont be pursuing this book due to its intensity.Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

The book does get you asking some deep questions and questioning reality.Frankly, i think what i've gotten from the review is enough and i wont be pursuing this book due to its intensity.Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”