Review by barneu -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
barneu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barneu.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review by barneu -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by barneu » 29 Jun 2018, 10:02

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

June 29, 2018
Book Review by Barbara Neuberger

Guardian of Deceit
By William H. Coles

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars.

This book chronicles the life of Darwin Hastings from the time of his parents’ death until probably his 20’s or 30’s. He is portrayed as a survivor and conqueror amid miserable living conditions with his cousin (a professional football player). He searches for the love he witnessed with his parents and strives to be a doctor like his father and an adult with high moral standards.

I liked the initial subject matter, primarily Darwin’s winning attitude despite everything around him working against him. However, that is the only thing I liked about the book.

I rated the book 1 out of 4 stars because I did like the subject. It was also a fast reading book if you didn’t get mired in some of the lengthy, didactic dialogue. The development of the main character, Darwin, is completely unrealistic. The dialogue attributed to him and to other characters is stilted and not what you would normally hear spoken. This affected the development of all the characters. There wasn’t one character in the book that was believable.

The main character, Darwin, is the most unrealistic of all the characters. I do like “larger than life” but Darwin is ridiculously righteous and brilliant. The love interests are silly and immature and again, affected by the inadequate character development. There is no flaw in his character which makes him completely unbelievable. All heroes are still human. Darwin is obviously not one of us.

The plot is disjointed and does not flow evenly through the book. It jumps around with no thread or logic tying it together. The ending leaves you feeling that the author ran out of time. I also did not understand the book title. I am guessing that the title relates to the deceitful characters but I would classify them more dysfunctional, selfish and stupid. Unfortunately, the lack of adequate character development severely limits the qualities of the plot.

I would not recommend this book. It does not have the style elements that maintain your interest. The writing style does not appear to be consistent. The plot is choppy and not engaging. The character development is incomplete and lacking in detail. When you are finished, the plot drops like a stone. I will most likely not remember this book or its message for very long.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like barneu's review? Post a comment saying so!

Julie Green
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 68
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: 37 tons by david victorson

Post by Julie Green » 01 Jul 2018, 10:10

This was the first book I reviewed when joining the club and I gave it 2 stars. I agree particularly with your observation that the characters do not feel credible and are somewhat stilted. I'm told this author can generate mixed reactions, however, and so am prepared to give his other books a try.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”