Official Review: When the Eye Sees Itself by Eric Borgerson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Official Review: When the Eye Sees Itself by Eric Borgerson

Post by Jackie Holycross »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When the Eye Sees Itself" by Eric Borgerson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When the Eye Sees Itself by Eric Borgerson is an interesting combination of dystopian literature and science fiction with lots of political intrigue mixed in. It is set in a future society where the masses are divided into three categories. Citizens have all the power and rights. Vulnerables who are deemed as too sensitive and weak are kept in closed neighborhoods for their own protection. The third group, Agressives, are considered volatile and are often incarcerated.

The plot follows several storylines which eventually overlap and intersect in complicated and unexpected ways. First, there is Anna, a Vulnerable who wants to achieve citizenship. Together with her advocate, Leo, she decides to fight for changes in the classification system that would allow her to be reclassified as a Citizen. This leads to public uproar with both support and opposition to her case. At the same time, the Department of Domestic Intelligence (DDI) is investigating a new technology that allows people to connect mentally using a quantum neural interface. This takes group meditation and mind reading to a whole new level. It has crossed into criminal territory because some people are creating abuse videos and connecting with others to share them allowing the users to not only see but feel all the emotions of the victim and the perpetrator. A third plot line follows a group of hackers who are trying to access information to prove the government is using torture on political prisoners.

One of the most enjoyable parts of this book was how the author kept surprising me with connections between the characters. There were several ah-ha moments when I saw how the groups were intersecting in ways they did not even realize themselves. The character development was also skillfully done. I felt I knew these people and had real emotional reactions to them. Even with the science-fiction elements, the plot developments were very logical and believable. One character becomes addicted to drugs and both his descent into darkness and his struggles with recovery were skillfully presented.

The novel was well edited with only a few verb tense errors and one fragment. The author’s style was intelligent and thoughtful with excellent use of literary devices. There were a few times, however when I felt the vocabulary was falsely inflated such as when Leo describes his friend as having “solipsistic lacunae.” Still, I like reading a book where I have to look up a word or two occasionally.

The biggest problem I had with this book was the pacing. It felt like the author’s commitment to realism worked against him in this aspect. Most crime novels have events presented at an accelerated pace. In this one, if it would normally take a month to go to trial, it took a month in the timeline. There were several long gaps with no real action and way more political maneuvering than I prefer. The whole book could have been condensed and accelerated and been more enjoyable. One other concern I had was that a few minor plot lines were left unfinished. The book almost had a sense of ending without being done.

Despite these minor deficiencies, this would be an enjoyable book for anyone who appreciates dystopian and science-fiction stories. There are a few mild sex scenes including a homosexual relationship as well as minimal cursing and references to physical abuse, so it is not appropriate for younger audiences. Overall, I rate it as 3 out of 4 stars. With a little plot tightening, I would have given it a four. The premise and characters were amazing making it enjoyable to read.

When the Eye Sees Itself
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like teacherjh's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This reminds me a bit of the factions in Divergent. Even though they are much more cut and dry (or seemingly so?). I love dystopian books, but the pacing would be a problem for me.
Thanks for the great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

First off, I love the cover. It's sad that is dragged on in some spots but it sounds like a great read. Great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the idea of this story; in fact, it's my favorite type of plot in science fiction. But the sex scenes just put me off. So I guess I won't be reading this one even though I'd love to know what happens with Anna and if she becomes a citizen or overthrows the whole classification system. Thanks for the review. I guess I'll pass.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the brilliant review as always - this certainly seems interesting. Borgerson seems to be a talented author with a knack for developing detailed background context, which I enjoy very much. It is a pity that the story seems to be slightly long-winded at times. Nonetheless, I'm definitely going to give this a try – thanks again! (:
Jackie Holycross

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 08:26 I love the idea of this story; in fact, it's my favorite type of plot in science fiction. But the sex scenes just put me off. So I guess I won't be reading this one even though I'd love to know what happens with Anna and if she becomes a citizen or overthrows the whole classification system. Thanks for the review. I guess I'll pass.
Actually the sex scenes were just vague references with no details. It was refreshing for an author to leave those details out.
Jackie Holycross

gen_g wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 09:41 Thanks for the brilliant review as always - this certainly seems interesting. Borgerson seems to be a talented author with a knack for developing detailed background context, which I enjoy very much. It is a pity that the story seems to be slightly long-winded at times. Nonetheless, I'm definitely going to give this a try – thanks again! (:
Thanks for the kind words. You made my day.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Thank you for an excellent review. It sounds a little reminiscent of ‘Divergent’. An interesting social construct.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Nice review! I'm not sure how I would feel about the subplot involving abuse videos. But the class system idea is one that I would find intriguing. Even though I would hope that a future society would wise up and steer clear of that sort of thing. ;)
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review! The idea of connecting mentally with quantum neural interface really intrigues me. The pacing is a real drawback, but the plot seems interesting enough to overcome it. Nice job!
Jackie Holycross

Bianka Walter wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 06:09 This reminds me a bit of the factions in Divergent. Even though they are much more cut and dry (or seemingly so?). I love dystopian books, but the pacing would be a problem for me.
Thanks for the great review!
It reminded me of Divergent too. It did have a dark side though.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

i like the way your review was written. The details were good but not spoiler. the plot about mind and emotion transfer got me. i want to try reading this although I hope I don't find the pacing to slow or it will be a struggle to finish. thanks again for the review. the book has a nice cover and an intriguing title by the way
Jackie Holycross

JR Mercier wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 07:13 First off, I love the cover. It's sad that is dragged on in some spots but it sounds like a great read. Great review.
I know. The cover is amazing.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I haven't read any dystopian book but I think this will be interesting. So I should give it a try. Thanks for your thorough review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Your review was very organized and thorough but not to the point of giving spoilers. Happy reading to us!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”