Official Review: A Tough Journey by Evelyn Cole

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: A Tough Journey by Evelyn Cole

Post by Surabhi Rani »

In the 'Official Review: A Tough Journey by Evelyn Cole', the theme of the protagonist's struggle is clear to the readers. The other relevant points are discussed with equal emphasis. This enables them to decide whether they should read the book or not. The ending of the review is potent.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Bernie Perkins is a talented photojournalist who is facing a few challenges. He is dealing with a cheating wife, which makes him question monogamy. His personal life is affected when violent murders shake the community.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

Looks like an interesting mature read because of the violence and sexual content. I like the fact of the imagery in the book. Not a fan of romance in a book but is not in this case. Congratulations on BOTD.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

Sounds like a tough journey for Bernie indeed, and even without reading the synopsis, I could already tell what kinds of tragedies befall him. Though this is not my genre, I appreciate stories that explore their main characters in depth like this, and I am glad to hear you felt for Bernie as you would have for a real person.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

It is commendable that the author has successfully blended all these different genres and themes to ensure the book is oozing with so much richness. I am definitely intrigued enough to grab a copy and read. Thanks for the great review.
Gemma_15
Currently Reading: The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-15.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Gemma_15 »

Wow this book sounds like it really has a bit of everything in it.
"Don't let the hard days win." -Sarah J. Maas
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Based on the review this book is not something that I would enjoy reading. I don't like to read books focus around tragedy and loss. I also would not like to read about violent murders. I think I will pass on reading this book.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

This book sounds interesting with a combination of grief, suspense and romance. However, I think the violence and sexual content may be too much for me to handle. Congratulations to the author for being chosen as BOTD. Thanks to the reviewer for your in-depth review.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

This book seems like it would be very entertaining to read. I look forward to seeing what it has to offer. Congrats on BOTD.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I think it's interesting that there are subplots and sub storylines in this book and based on the blurb, I'm really surprised this ends as a romance. I'm glad you enjoyed it and that there was great character development. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-amarachi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine »

From the review, I guess there's a lot going on I'm this book, don't really know how pleased I'll be yo read it but I'm definitely not in the category of persons who will be pleased to read this.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

This book seems quite realistic because tragedy befall us all. I'm intrigued about Bernie's life and how he could cope with these multiple misfortunes. But the "series of violent murders" turn me off.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

A Tough Journey by Evelyn Cole is a family and social drama about 31-year-old photojournalist Bernie Perkins who wants to use his profession to help those in need and in trouble in his community. He, however, is in a clash of perspectives and culture with his alpha Dad who owns the newspaper he works for. Bernie wants to write more about domestic violence and the shelter who helps battered women, among other social issues in his town. Dad's not really interested in that kind of stuff. But Bernie also has to grapple with family issues, such as the state of his marriage. This book is about a well-intentioned guy who wants to stand up for others. But maybe, he has to stand up for himself first. This is what I got after sampling the book. After having read lesler's review, however, I'm intrigued to learn that this is about the year that Bernie turned from nice-and-decent-neighbor Bernie, daddy's heir-in-waiting, to a fully grown person who has lived through and learned through difficulties and challenges. I agree with lesler's endorsement of Cole's writing. Her writing style and use of contemporary language reflects how people think and talk these days. Therefore, the dialogue is realistic and the character descriptions resonate with readers. I wonder about the focus of the novel's plot though. Successful novels that find a mass audience usually have a sharp focus on its major theme, letting subplots enrich, rather than distract from the main story.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

A Tough Journey by Evelyn Cole is a combination of #Drama, #Mystery, #Romance, #Tragedy, and #Violence that Bernie Perkins experienced. The story was full of anger, grief, love, and mystery as he struggled to find himself after losing every person close to him.

I might need a box of tissue before starting to read this book.

Thanks for the review.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like the fact that the book is so much more than Bernie's relationship with his father. I also like the sub-plots on mental health and romance. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”