Official Review: A Tough Journey by Evelyn Cole

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: A Tough Journey by Evelyn Cole

Post by lesler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Tough Journey" by Evelyn Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the book A Tough Journey by Evelyn Cole, Bernie Perkins is the editor-in-training for his fathers' weekly newspaper in the haven of Huntington Beach, California. He and his wife Judy live with their four-year-old son in a wonderful cul-de-sac in which everyone knows one another, and cares about their happenings. A tragedy early in the book changes the trajectory of how Bernie lives his life, with the only constant being his neighbors. This story is full of grief, anger, love, and mystery as Bernie struggles to find himself during the year after he loses everything close to him.

This book is classified as "other," which I would agree with, but it is also so much more. There are multiple romances, a series of violent murders, and an enthralling mystery that involves Bernie Perkin's neighborhood in Huntington Beach. Initially, the book appears to be a story about the tumultuous relationship between him and his father, who is also his boss, but it becomes so much more. There are many sub-storylines throughout this book, which ends as a romance. This sounds baffling, but instead, it makes the book engaging to its core.

The story was initially hard to follow, but it smoothed out by the book's middle. While being roughly four hundred pages, the development of the characters and different events happening is incredible. I love how the main character was a sort of flawed protagonist, with his confused ideas about monogamous committed relationships and warranted hatred towards many others in the book. There was quite a bit of medical terminology in the novel in regards to mental health, which I enjoyed learning.

The author personifies the characters wonderfully, especially the main character. This novel takes place between Bernie's thirty-first and thirty-second birthday, and the amount of growth and heartache he has experienced really helped me connect with him. There is quite a bit of sexual imagery, along with graphic violence to both humans and animals, so maturity must be had to enjoy this book. I found myself reading about Bernie making a willing mistake, and forgetting that he was not real. It was a such a good book to get lost in for a few afternoons.

I give A Tough Journey by Evelyn Cole 4 out of 4 stars, for its excellent writing flow, wonderful development of characters, and realistic imagery provided. I recommend this novel for a mature reader looking for a realistic character living everyday life and facing terrible circumstances with terrific consequences.

A Tough Journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lesler's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm curious the picture on the book appears to be titled Hurricane Love, but the title is actually A Tough Journey? I don't see that anywhere on the book cover. Strange. I enjoyed reading your review. I might just have to pick this book up sometime. I love a great mystery and a romantic story. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I enjoyed your review, as I always appreciate a good mystery. However, I have been baffled by the book's title and cover having different names. I noticed the inconsistency before reading your review. It seems like a significant issue that the author would want to address.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Sounds like an engaging read, but there seems to be a disconnect between the cover design (and title on it) and the real name of the book. I don't think I'd appreciate the graphic scenes, especially the violence. Glad you made it through the 400 pages, especially as you said it was initially hard to follow.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

There seems to be a lot going on in this book! Too bad it was hard to follow at the beginning. I’m not sure I could enjoy it due to the graphic violence. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

AmySmiles wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 11:31 I'm curious the picture on the book appears to be titled Hurricane Love, but the title is actually A Tough Journey? I don't see that anywhere on the book cover. Strange. I enjoyed reading your review. I might just have to pick this book up sometime. I love a great mystery and a romantic story. Thanks for the review.
The discrepancy with the photo confused me as well when I was browsing books to review. Anyway, this was a great review, but I'll pass due to graphic content.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Maybe it's in other fiction because it's such a combination of genres. It sounds interesting. Thanks.
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

This story is full of grief, anger, love, and mystery as Bernie struggles to find himself during the year after he loses everything close to him.
Sounds a moving story! Really glad that the development of the characters is excellent. I am curious about Bernie's story, so I added the book to my TBR list!Thank you for the detailed review!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book revolving around the life of a Photojournalist and combines many genres sounds intriguing. That the book is full of grief, anger, love, and mystery adds to the intrigue. Too bad about the slow start, but at least there is a good characters development. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

It sounds like there is a lot to offer in this read but I do not like books that take half the book to get to the good parts so I do not think that this one is for me.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an other fiction novel with romance, grief, anger, murder, and mystery. The book is free on Kindle Unlimited and has an amazing OnlineBookClub review. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. Congrats @evyCole for the BOTD.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

It is great when a book can expertly span multiple genres and topics. From romance, to murders this one seems to take an amazing approach to character development through multiple story-lines. I'm looking forward to reading more on Bernie and his experiences in Huntington Beach.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sanju Lali »

This book "A Tough Journey" by Evelyn Cole follows Bernie Perkins, who is a co-editor for a newspaper at the Huntington Beach, California, and the story is a mix of grief, anger and love, as experienced by Bernie. The character development seems awesome as Bernie's character is a sort of flawed protagonist, who has confused ideas and hatred towards others in this story. The plots seems quite realistic and interesting to read.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Such a rich read! Absolutely my kind of book. Thanks for the enlightening review..
Mabel6
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 »

The book spans multiple genres and has a bit of everything...not sure I would like this as it would be confusing for me and not a fan of the medical terminology so I will pass for now.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”