Official Review: The Shaman Cycle by George Moore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Official Review: The Shaman Cycle by George Moore

Post by JuliaKay »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Shaman Cycle" by George Moore.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Think Paulo Coelho with even a little more mysticism and ancient history. This story focuses less on reality than (some) Coelho works do, but it is a similar spiritual experience. I am pleased to admit that though this work is reminiscent of Paulo Coelho, it is not copycat at all. It is, however, a story that alludes to the belief that there is more to human beings than bodies with complex systems of neurons.

The Shaman Cycle by George Moore is the tale of Sakhal-tun, who is member of an ancient Siberian tribe, and his soul mate, Kawtehek-lun. Kawtehek-lun, or Kawt, is a shaman as well as an upay, or a ghost in a body. Sakhal-tun spends many lifetimes journeying through physical and spiritual realms trying to help Kawt and her family to escape a kind of limbo for trapped souls and resume what is known as the shaman cycle. However, there is one who hunts Sakhal-tun. Philippe Milieu wants answers for Sakhal-tun's secret to immortality. Believing that Sakhal-tun has found a drug that can promote physical regeneration, Milieu is unwittingly repeating past events with his continued pursuit of Sakhal-tun. I cannot go into anymore details here because it would be much too easy to spoil the story.

This book, while captivating, is rather hard to follow. I think that is because there are theories that I do not completely understand, and it is kind of written in a way that assumes the reader already understands the ideas. This was a drawback because it left me feeling uninvolved — like listening to a conversation between friends and feeling left out but longing to understand. There are, however, some lines that are stunning in their beauty such as this: “For the soul, time is not the same as what we perceive while in the body. Time is simply the sequence of events that we experience. We are nothing more than events ourselves, in the final analysis.” One of the book’s greatest weaknesses — the theories — is also its greatest strength.

There were not an overwhelming amount of errors, but there were enough, especially regarding punctuation, to give me the impression that this book has not been professionally edited. I do not think it would take much work to clean up the mistakes. Given the content of the story, there could have been more about the lives of Kawt and her family and more about the role of a shaman. This book explained what the shaman cycle is, but there was not too much explanation of what a shaman actually does, and I would have liked to seen this because it is what initially drew me to the book. The aforementioned negatives are why I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Cons aside, The Shaman Cycle has the potential to be a literary masterpiece. Given the mysticism and spirituality that is present in this book, those who like to deal more in concrete worlds than abstract worlds might want to pass on this story. There are a couple slightly intimate scenes, and for that reason this book is not suitable for younger readers, but I think it would be appropriate for the intellect and maturity of readers from sixteen years and up. Readers will probably find themselves wanting to read more from this author.

The Shaman Cycle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JuliaKay's review? Post a comment saying so!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the amazing review! I like books which have elements of mysticism, which make it more fascinating for me. It is a pity about the errors though.
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

gen_g wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 01:59 Thank you for the amazing review! I like books which have elements of mysticism, which make it more fascinating for me. It is a pity about the errors though.
I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It happens so often that authors have clear ideas on the topics that they are writing about, but then fail to convey their thoughts well enought to the reader. It then becomes a bit of an assumption that the reader should just know what they are talking about!
Either way, I'm glad you ended up enjoying it :)
Thanks for the great review.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Bianka Walter wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 06:16 It happens so often that authors have clear ideas on the topics that they are writing about, but then fail to convey their thoughts well enought to the reader. It then becomes a bit of an assumption that the reader should just know what they are talking about!
Either way, I'm glad you ended up enjoying it :)
Thanks for the great review.
Thank you for commenting.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I am intrigued by the concept of time presented. Great review!!
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

teacherjh wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 13:34 I am intrigued by the concept of time presented. Great review!!
It was certainly interesting.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I would love to examine some of the spiritual theores in this book.I think it would be exciting.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

Very neat and detial review. You have esplained the plot of the storyline beautifully. I loved reading your review. It creats an intrest within me to read the book. Thanks for the review.
---
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

The concept of shaman cycle is truly intriguing. Also, the quote you included is beautifully written.

Thank you for the great review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It actually sounds very promising! I enjoy stories about spirituality and mysticism, and it would have been great if the theories were better explained. Sometimes the authors assume we just know as much as they do about a topic.
I hope the author takes your comments into account and, perhaps, edit it to create the masterpiece that could have been.
Thank you for your insightful review.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This book, while captivating, is rather hard to follow.
Like gems that are unearthed and often so rarely found, meaningful books may indeed need to be sought and looked into more deeply to be fully savoured. Thank you for your objective subjectivity in reviewing this piece.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

This book explained what the shaman cycle is, but there was not too much explanation of what a shaman actually does, and I would have liked to seen this because it is what initially drew me to the book.
This has left me on the fence. It's a pity the author expects all readers to already know the concepts he is discussing. Great review though!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”