Official Review: The gods are Silent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: The gods are Silent

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The gods are Silent" by Daniel Dickson Boateng.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Gods Are Silent by Daniel Dickson Boateng tells the story of Papa who is a potent fetish priest in a village in Africa. He is well respected and prosperous with 4 wives, 5 sons and 6 gods to care for. Unfortunately, his powers appear to wane as his youngest wife, Serwaa, appears to be barren and he is unable to cure her. In desperation, he consults a god from the north and is granted a child in return for the sacrifice of a ram at every new moon. But as one hand giveth, so the other hand taketh away. The god gives him a daughter but takes away his wife. After a while, life gets back to normal and the child is a joy until Papa forgets to make the sacrifice.

I enjoyed this book. The writing style has a rhythm of its own which gives it an authentic feel and the book gives an insight into a world which is very different from my own. Life in the village is ruled by superstition and vengeful gods. Anything that goes wrong is usually traced back to a broken taboo or some misstep or other. As well as the overall story, there were some interesting anecdotes of what had happened to people who had angered the gods.

Papa is a rather selfish character and he becomes less and less reasonable as his life spirals out of control. He puts his pride in his own skills above the needs of his family by refusing to contemplate the hospital, even when he knows that there is nothing more that he can do for his ailing daughter. The cruelty that is heaped upon barren women is shocking. Serwaa is called a witch, accused of casting a spell over Papa, and is shunned by the villagers. Her only friend is Papa himself, and he makes life worse for her by making her his favourite and thereby causing the other wives to be antagonistic.

As well as the African gods, there is a missionary school where the children learn of a kinder God, and it becomes clear that at some point, the old ways are going to be swept aside.

My only criticism of the book is that there were grammatical errors. I turned a blind eye to most of them as I felt that they added to the creative feel of the book. However, there was confusion over names. Serwaa’s mother was referred to with every combination of Mame, Maame, Mamee, Affia and Afia and even Mame Dufie who was Papa's eldest wife. Also, Serwaa was once referred to as Akoto. Other errors included missing spaces, missing words and incorrect capitalisation.

I would have liked to give this book 3.5 out of 4 as the grammatical errors weren’t too bad, but when combined with the confusion over names, they cause me to round it down to 3 out of 4 stars

This book will appeal to people who enjoy folktales and having an insight into lives and religions very different from their own.

The gods are Silent
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

Interesting how everything goes back to a taboo or superstition. Thank you for the review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

"This book will appeal to people who enjoy folktales and having an insight into lives and religions very different from their own."
That would describe me, but I think I'll get lost in the sea of names. I even mix up my kids' names when I am trying to get their attention. :lol2: Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Ana-Maria-Diana wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 04:36 Interesting how everything goes back to a taboo or superstition. Thank you for the review.
Thank you. Yes, if someone fell ill, they would trace it back to something they did 3 years ago which angered a God.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

SamSim wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 05:16
"This book will appeal to people who enjoy folktales and having an insight into lives and religions very different from their own."
That would describe me, but I think I'll get lost in the sea of names. I even mix up my kids' names when I am trying to get their attention. :lol2: Great review!
Thank you. I generally run through all my cats’ names before I get to my partner's :lol:
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I was so disappointed when your synopsis endedd. I want to know what happens when the sacrifices stopped!
Thanks for the wonderful review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Bianka Walter wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 07:09 I was so disappointed when your synopsis endedd. I want to know what happens when the sacrifices stopped!
Thank you. Actually, you can find out. The author described the entire book from start to finish on his Amazon page. :?
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

This sounds like such an interesting read. I would like to read something different and while this sounds quite sad, I think I'll enjoy it.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

JR Mercier wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 07:24 This sounds like such an interesting read. I would like to read something different and while this sounds quite sad, I think I'll enjoy it.
It is sad, but I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Thanks for posting
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Helen_Combe wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 07:13
Bianka Walter wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 07:09 I was so disappointed when your synopsis endedd. I want to know what happens when the sacrifices stopped!
Thank you. Actually, you can find out. The author described the entire book from start to finish on his Amazon page. :?
Oh my goodness, it really does. Thanks - now I don't need to read the book! :lol2:
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This sounds like a good read--I like that Papa is a complicated character, it's always really interesting when the main characters are flawed. I agree that the setting is refreshing as well; it's not every day that we see a story taking place in a culture so different from what we usually see in mainstream media :D Thank you for your great review!
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 10:55 This sounds like a good read--I like that Papa is a complicated character, it's always really interesting when the main characters are flawed. I agree that the setting is refreshing as well; it's not every day that we see a story taking place in a culture so different from what we usually see in mainstream media :D Thank you for your great review!
Thank you very much. :D
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

I might have enjoyed this book if this were edited. Not so sure anymore.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

daniya__shah3 wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 11:51 I might have enjoyed this book if this were edited. Not so sure anymore.
It wasn’t too bad, a lot of it just felt like the patios of the area.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I am always fascinated with African stories, whether it be a book or a movie. I will give this one a read for the future. Thank you for your amazing review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”