Review by centfie -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sophy Chunge
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Review by centfie -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Sophy Chunge »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have discovered why William H. Cole is gaining recognition in the literary scene. Reading the third edition of The Surgeon’s Wife, published in 2016, was a spellbinding experience. The main character is Michael Boudreaux, and he is a hero of sorts. Clayton Otherson is his mentor in the field of surgery. Otherson is deemed "dangerous" because he has registered failures and fatalities during obesity surgeries. Michael experiences dilemma after dilemma in decision-making because of his leadership role. He has to make a difficult choice between protecting his long-standing relationship with Otherson or upholding hospital policies. To make matters worse, he befriends Otherson’s wife and daughter in a way that Otherson himself has never done.

The Surgeon’s Wife is one of those gripping tales that are hard to put down. I think many readers will be compelled to read it from the beginning to the end. The story is moving and entertaining. The author explores themes of tragedy, dilemma, broken families, work, social class, gender, suicide, ethical issues in medical practice, and love among others. I was remarkably moved by the shattered lives of the characters and the way some managed to handle their problems while others lost their mind.

William H. Cole’s use of rhetorical questions, satire, brilliant similes and metaphors enhances the readability of the book. The presence of medical jargon in the text is expected since most of the characters are medical professionals. In some dialogues, he cleverly depicts them based on their area of specialization, instead of using names. However, any lay person can still read and enjoy the book because the language of narration is simple and easy to understand.

The Surgeon’s Wife elicits a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is a deftly written novel that immerses the reader into controversial issues in the lives of the rich and the poor. William’s seems to remind readers that, no matter the different backgrounds we are born in, we have similar human experiences. Consider Michael’s sentiments as portrayed on page 7: “He couldn’t help being born poor. It would make more sense, and irritate him less if these aristocrats turned him away because his breath reeked.”

I have to point out that the author seems to have a thing for “overstuffed chairs.”It became a cliché once I read the phrase twice in the book. When I saw it the third time, it was bogus. He can look for a synonym for it. I also noticed a few errors in punctuation and grammar. The Surgeon’s Wife needs another round of professional editing. This book is worthy of a positive recommendation. Readers who like emotional stories are encouraged to add this to their bookshelves.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like centfie's review? Post a comment saying so!
“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” Stephen King

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”