Official Review: Dyed Souls by Gary Santorella

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Official Review: Dyed Souls by Gary Santorella

Post by lavellan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dyed Souls" by Gary Santorella.]

Important Moderator's Note: The book has been edited since the review to fix the editing issue mentioned by the reviewer.

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dyed Souls by Gary Santorella is a coming-of-age story that follows the life of Charles Lyle. Charles was placed into Hawthorne, a facility for children, by his mother who cannot take care of him. Charles struggles with life at Hawthorne because previously he lived with his grandparents until his mother took him away from them. At Hawthorne, Charles is different from the rest of the children; he is interested in evolutionary theory and other scientific works. Charles hopes that by reasoning through Charles Darwin’s book, The Descent of Man, will allow him to understand people, his mother, and, most importantly, himself.

Dyed Souls has to be one of the best books I’ve read recently. Santorella truly captured the confusing feelings of being a teenager while still maintaining an engaging storyline. One of the strong points of the book was the characterization. Every character described in the work was dynamic and well developed. One unexpectantly intriguing character was Javier. When we first encounter Javier, we see him through the eyes of Charles. Charles believes him to be the typical conceited gangster. As time goes on, Javier’s true nature is revealed. Javier is really a highly intelligent and kind-hearted young man. This characterization is also extended to Charles. Charles is far from perfect, but he has the best intentions in mind. I really enjoyed how Santorella had Charles make miscalculations about people’s characters and act as a typical teenager would. While I still would consider Charles to be a good person, he had his bad moments. For example, Charles is initially jealous of Javier because he views him as competition for the hand of Margo, a young girl also living at Hawthorne. This subplot is carried out in a realistic manner and adds depth to the three characters. Additionally, I thought that the novel provided interesting insight into the circumstances of at-risk children. It was heartbreaking to read about some of the stories of the children living at the facility. For example, Walter was a young boy at Hawthorne who had difficulty speaking. This was a result of his mother preventing him from speaking “so the devil couldn’t find him.” I felt for him and the other abused children at Hawthorne.

I did not have many complaints about the novel. The main issue I had dealt with the flow of speech. Some of the dialogue for the minority characters was a little off. For instance, Margo and Javier’s dialogue was frequently peppered with the word “yo”. It was off-putting after a while and I thought that their dialogue would have flowed better without its inclusion.

While Dyed Souls was a very enjoyable book, it did have some issues with editing. Most of the errors dealt with homonym use. One example included the use of strait instead of straight. While the errors did not detract from my enjoyment of the novel, they did indicate that the book still needs to be professionally edited.

I rate Dyed Souls 3 out of 4 stars. While I thought that the story itself was excellent, the editing issues prevent me from giving it 4 out of 4 stars. The novel deals with some heavy topics such as underage sexual situations, sexual and physical assault, and child abuse. As a result, I would recommend this book to older teenagers and adults. This book would not be suitable for younger or more sensitive audiences.

Dyed Souls
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lavellan's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your detailed review! The premise is interesting, and I am going to put this on my to-read list. It's a pity about the errors though!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I wonder why did the mother took Charles from living with his grandparents? Isn't better for him to live with his grandparents for the sake of family bonding, rather than for him to be sent to orphanage house?

By the way, this is the type of book that I will read and sounds like a good read to teenagers about the struggle of life and friendship. Thank you for your review on this.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have seen homonym errors more often than anything else in books. It's kind of interesting. Charles sounds like a very interesting teenager, and this sounds like an interesting read despite the errors. Thanks for sharing this one with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This is a really interesting premise, but some of the content and the editing issues are going to keep me away from this one. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Thanks for your review, this book sounds really interesting. Do we know why Charles’ mother takes him from his grandparents?
Berry :wine:
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

this book sounds and truly engaging an interesting to say the least East. I'm not a fan of the grammatical errors throughout a book as it distracts me. But as long as they are not overwhelmingly present I will add it to my to be read list
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

Also I'm aware of my own grammatical errors. I have rheumatoid arthritis which prevents me from typing well. So I have to rely mostly on talk-to-text and if I don't proof read everything I write and ends up sounding ridiculous. So I apologize for any mistakes as I get excited and tend to post before reading
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

It's sad how Charles was almost abandoned as a kid. However, I like how his brain piqued up interest in the area of science. Amazing review!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

A bildungsroman that contains science and philosophy is a very good read. Thank you for the review.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

nicely detailed review! i think i'm gonna read this! I sympathize for charles, relying on books to understand other people and his self. I also like Javier being judge by others at one glance without bothering to know you better!
lavellan
Currently Reading:

Post by lavellan »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 02:58 I wonder why did the mother took Charles from living with his grandparents? Isn't better for him to live with his grandparents for the sake of family bonding, rather than for him to be sent to orphanage house?

By the way, this is the type of book that I will read and sounds like a good read to teenagers about the struggle of life and friendship. Thank you for your review on this.
Thanks for your response! His mother is a deeply troubled individual. The reason why he is taken away from his grandparents is explained later in the book. Hawthorne is not exactly an orphanage; it is a facility that houses at-risk children until their parents can take care of them again or the children age out of the system.
lavellan
Currently Reading:

Post by lavellan »

strawberrysab wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 10:44 Thanks for your review, this book sounds really interesting. Do we know why Charles’ mother takes him from his grandparents?
Thanks for your response! It is revealed in the book, but I don't want to give the reason away and spoil the book for you! All I can say is that Charles' mother has a troubled past and struggles with a lot of personal demons.
lavellan
Currently Reading:

Post by lavellan »

anwidmer wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 16:27 Also I'm aware of my own grammatical errors. I have rheumatoid arthritis which prevents me from typing well. So I have to rely mostly on talk-to-text and if I don't proof read everything I write and ends up sounding ridiculous. So I apologize for any mistakes as I get excited and tend to post before reading
Don't worry about it! I understood your response completely and I appreciate your excitement.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I don't understand why the mother would take Charles away from the grandparents, if she could clearly not take care of him. He was clearly a smart boy, who was simply trying to make sense of his situation. I am drawn to the book mostly because of the captivating review.I will certainly give it a try.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”