Official Review: Dyed Souls by Gary Santorella

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Official Review: Dyed Souls by Gary Santorella

Post by OrlaCarty »

Oh that child not speaking so the devil couldn't find him caught something in me. Taking away someone's voice is so heartbreaking.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A coming of age book revolving around a kid at risk sounds intriguing. It is sad that he was taken from his loving grandparents and placed in a treatment faculty. It is good that the book provides interesting insight into the circumstances of at-risk children. Too bad about the off-putting dialogue. Hopefully, the author fixed the errors by now. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This coming-of-age story sounds really interesting. I like how unique and dynamic the characters are. Charles and Javier both sound like misunderstood teenagers.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

What kind of mother withdraws a child from family to dump with strangers? Beats me. Charles' story sounds interesting but I do hope the evolution belief isn't stretched because that could very well dampen my interest in the book's contents; I happen to be pro-creation and anti-evolution. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

Usually coming of age stories do not interest me but in this case the connection with Darwin does. Thanks for your review.
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Post by sszb »

A story of a teenager who was sent to Hawthorne by his mother. This is a big emotional trauma for any child of any age. A kid is a genius and interested in evolutionary theory I find a plot and storyline of this book very intriguing. Congrats on BOTD 💐💐👍🏻
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

This doesn't sound like a book for me. The emotional issues that Charles and his mother are dealing with seem oppressive, and the fact that he is taken from his grandparents bothers me even though I know it's fiction.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Sounds like a good book and it also was a good review where you detailed why you didn't give it 4 stars. His mom in the first pages sounds like she should be in a home instead of her son. I may try to get thru the errors as after reading your review and some of the book it does seem like something I would like. I am curious as to why he no longer lives with his grandparents.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

Thanks for your review! This sounds like a book I might enjoy. I am just wary of the child abuse issues in the story, aside from the lack of editing. Nevertheless I think I'll try this and will see!
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

This seemed to be a refreshing take on a coming of age story, where characters are well-developed and relatable. This will be a hit among fans of this genre!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Well-drawn characters seem to be the strength of this book. I love the fact that Charles turns to books to gain understanding of people, supporting the fact that he is highly intelligent and kind-hearted. The difficult circumstances that these characters find themselves in are troubling, especially knowing that their stories are realistic.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

Thanks for the review.Sounds like an intresting book.Awaiting to read it. Congratz on BOTD.
---
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It is sad that Charles' mother took Charles away from his grandparents and then could not take care of him, so as to make him live at Hawthorne. The heavy topics of underage sexual activity, sexual and physical assaults, and child abuse are all hard to read about, as many of the children in the residential home probably have experienced in one way or another.
56lives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-56lives.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by 56lives »

This review is a perfect reflection of the actual book. I went through part of a sample of the book. The way Charles was whisked to Hawthorne facility shows indeed that the boy was at risk and needed to be protected from his mother. Then there is the story of Walter who is at the same same facility and had difficulty speaking because his mother prevented him from speaking so the devil couldn’t find him. Sounds like a devil preventing another devil from finding her son. From the sample and the review, I think this book is a must read for me.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. This sounds like a truly interesting coming of age story. The fact that it deals with some really difficult issues like sexual and physical assault as well as child abuse might make it not appropriate for all readers but I was drawn in by the sample and can’t wait to read the rest. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”