Review by Raya raymond -- Illustrated Short Fiction of W...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Review by Raya raymond -- Illustrated Short Fiction of W...

Post by Raya raymond » 24 Jun 2018, 15:24

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review for Illustrated short fiction of William. H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles . The book consists of a collection of many short stories. The stories are well edited. One of my favorite stories was The Necklace It is about two couples that went on a trip to New Delhi. One couple was just newly wedded and had gone there for the their honeymoon, while the other had been married for sixteen years. The narrator and Helen, who were the newlyweds became friends with the other couple because they were touring together. Betsy, who was the woman in the second couple wore a very expensive necklace around her neck that she never took off and Helen and her husband found it really weird because it was really dangerous to walk around in it. One day while they were touring, Betsy was attacked by a couple of beggars who held her down and stole her necklace. This made Anwar, her husband, really angry because they necklace was passed down in his family for generations and it had just gotten stolen in his wife's hands. He didn't care that it was insured all he wanted was the original necklace back. His anger led him to treat his wife really badly and he even resulted to hitting her. Truth was he was to blame because he forced his wife to wear the necklace around even when it was dangerous. He didn't realize that his wife was more important than the necklace. Helen and the narrator, ended up learning to treasure every moment they had together from their friends' experience.

The Necklace, is one of the most intriguing and educating stories in the book. It is well written and very interesting. However there are many stories in the book that I didn't find as intriguing. Most of them don't have satisfactory endings. The Necklace, is one of the few whose endings are not that annoying and unsatisfactory although it still doesn't deliver the best ending. These stories leave the reader hanging. Personally, they left me wondering and looking if there was another part to the story because their endings are somewhat terrible. There's a story in the book called Suchin's Escape, I totally didn't like it or follow the story-line. It was one of my least favorites because. The characters use bad English which is confusing because the Narrator's English is okay. Characters like Harry use really terrible English with wrong tenses sometimes but sometimes he talks correct English. Which leaves me confused and wondering if the author made a mistake and didn't have the story edited properly, or was Harry intended to have bad English? The plot of this story and the characters were also not convincing, and this is just one of many stories that are this badly written. For a book that was written for sixteen years a lot of the stories in this book are disappointing.

Some stories like Homonculus have a comic version which I didn't find that interesting. I don't see the point of writing a story twice in the same book while the initial one is so descriptive you already have the whole scenario in mind.

I however liked the graphics at the beginning of each story. They're are creative and give the reader a mental picture of exactly what is happening in the story.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars, because I believe the authors could have done better especially in delivering better endings which would have made these stories more interesting to read. I wouldn't recommend this book especially to any impatient person or to teenagers.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Raya raymond's review? Post a comment saying so!

Danny33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Danny33 » 27 Jun 2018, 05:09

Nice book to read i will recomend itt too everyone

dik47
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dik47 » 27 Jun 2018, 11:28

well the second last story is worth a second look, great 'smithing' of words though

Sogun05
Currently Reading:

Post by Sogun05 » 27 Jun 2018, 14:51

This book is quite enticing, I enjoyed it. I have always been a fan of short stories in one book. I enjoyed The necklace a lot, but I refuse to go into details because I wish not to spoil the plot of the book for you, but I do encourage the reading of this book. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars, because I feel like there were just a few editorial issues.

Kay87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kay87.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Kay87 » 27 Jun 2018, 17:19

I find your review interesting in that your views are on point. Anthologies tend to have good stories and not so good ones. You are forced to be high one moment then low in another. Based on your review, I'm not sure I want to read this novel but I still think I'll make an attempt.

Bhanumathi H R

Post by Bhanumathi H R » 27 Jun 2018, 21:26

Nice book and interesting to read..i will suggest everyone to read it

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”