Official Review: Seven Strangers in Town by Ahmad Al Malik

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Official Review: Seven Strangers in Town by Ahmad Al Malik

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seven Strangers in Town" by Ahmad Al Malik.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Seven Strangers In Town was written by Ahmad Al-Malik. It was translated to English by Abdil Babikir. This book falls under the genre of other fiction. Its setting is in Sudan, Africa. The setting reveals much about the culture of the local people. I would say that this book is a social satire, with a healthy dose of humor and romance.

The main character is Sergeant Abdel Hai. Sergeant Hai is in charge of looking after insurgents who are arrested by the Government Army Forces. On this fateful day, an insurgent is brought in. Sergeant Hai had bought some ‘arrack’, a local brew, and he drinks too much. In an attempt to be kind to the prisoner, who is to be executed by the firing squad in the morning, he gives him a glass of the brew. The two get drank. They begin having a lengthy conversation. Sergeant Hai reveals some of his secrets to the prisoner knowing that he was going to be executed. However, shortly afterward, Hai falls asleep near the cell. The prisoner rummages through his pockets and gets the key. He opens the door of the cell and escapes. What will Sergeant Hai do when he wakes up? Will the prisoner manage to escape?

The rest of the story is very interesting. I like the fact that the author has a good diction. Various linguistic devices have been used in the book. The characters are well developed. However, some of the characters have a little impact on the story. I also enjoyed reading every conversation in the book. The conversations are full of humor. Through the conversations, one gets to know the challenges facing this society.

The book reveals a lot of realities. For example, the Government arrests people who are innocent. These people are labeled as insurgents. They are executed mercilessly. The Government also burns villages. The excuse given is that these villages are hiding places for insurgents. The plight of the ordinary citizen is also brought out clearly. For example, the cost of living is high, and the medical services are poor. It is shocking to note that the Head of Security Service keeps on acquiring luxurious cars, while a hospital does not have a single ambulance to transport patients and pregnant women, who develop delivery complications, to a better-equipped hospital.

However, the plot is poorly developed. For example, the first chapter ends with the section where the prisoner has escaped. However, the succeeding chapter takes the reader back to where Hai is drinking. This makes it hard to figure out where this scene fits. It is difficult to tell whether the chapter comes before or after the prisoner escapes.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is due to the poor development of the plot. There are a few typos also. However, these typos do not affect the flow of the story. Generally, this is a remarkable story. In my opinion, this book should be read by those who are over fifteen years old.

Seven Strangers in Town
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kibetious's review? Post a comment saying so!
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Fascinating. Despite the problems with plot development that you identified, I am eager to mark this novel as one I want to read, for the glimpse of Sudanese society it provides.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for your comment. Sure, it is a nice book. You will get a glimpse of what people pass through in most of the developing countries in the world, esp Sub-Saharan Africa. The book is good.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
ominifelix
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by ominifelix »

I think the book is interesting because it make u to discover the power of how to fight what belong to u.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

Great review, you conveyed the story remarkably. A book on inhumanity in some parts of the world have been one of the things I've longed to explore, so thanks for presenting the review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

The humorous and informative conversations sound interesting. Thanks for the honest review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the comments and honest feedback on the review. They are full of insight.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kmdehn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmdehn.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Kmdehn »

You got me very interested in the conversation pieces in this book. I usually get lost during the dialogue so I love coming across a book where the conversations are more engrossing. I'm going to be checking this book out. Thank you for the review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

A pity that such a fun read's plot is muddled by a confusing time frame. It is always profound when a society's ills are brought to light through humour.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”