Review of Freedom is for the Birds by JM Sutherland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Review by briellejee -- Freedom Is For The Birds

Post by briellejee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Freedom Is For The Birds" by JM Sutherland.]

[rbc=3]id104121-125[/rbc]If hawks could write their memoirs, JM Sutherland's [i]Freedom is for the Birds[/i] would be the one. Insightful and full of adventures, this book about the life and struggle of a family of hawks could pierce the heart of humans in a heart-warming and saddening way. Written in the perspective of animals, this book opens up different views on everything around us.

When K'lar and D'ree, a pair of hawks, decided to go back to their old nesting place, they were greeted with tall buildings and heavy machinery instead of tall leafy trees. With a helpless sigh, they started to look around for a possible new home before the hatchlings' arrival. With Mother Nature's guidance, they met T'Nal, an old widowed hawk, who happily offered his old place and also became a part of the couple's life.

The story continues as the couple's family grew with two additional fledglings, Kmal and Kmin. Every day is full of adventures as they try to adjust to the environment around them. After a lot of training and classes, migration season has finally arrived. They were all set to fly to Mexico when a tragic thing happened to Kmal. Not being able to do anything, the rest of the family left him in the hands of the humans and departed towards their itinerary. Will Kmal be able to recover and reunite with his family again? Will he be able to journey alone? Or was it a mistake leaving him with the humans?

The book mainly shows the day-to-day operations of the hawks, from hunting to interacting with humans and other species. What I like most about it is when it shows two sides of the scene. For example, when the hawks were approached by the human Ernie, the author wrote the scene in two perspectives: the hawks' and Ernie's. By doing this, the author somehow answered some lingering questions about animal behavior. It provided some precautions and some basic knowledge in approaching animals.

Moreover, even though it is fictitious, the background about the hawks are well-thoroughly researched. The detailed descriptions of their body and their actions helped in conjuring up a picture out of the words. At first, the mundane life of a hawk seems a bit repetitive but the author manages to insert little twists here and there to keep the reader interested.

However, the author's style of writing is a bit elaborate than needed and is more of like talking to a child because he keeps on repeating phrases and words. He uses simple vocabulary and lays down each scene intricately. I find it frustrating sometimes.

Animals see us higher species as a threat, and [i]Freedom is for the Birds[/i] has the perfect explanation why. I give this book a [b]3 out of 4 stars[/b] rating. There were no noticeable errors, but the author's style in telling the story is not my cup of tea. The characters don't have their own voice and identity other than their names. Half of the time I don't know who was talking and it frustrated me, enough to deduct a star. Although, I believe that this is all because the author wants to focus more on the hawks' life story.

It is informative and insightful, one that we all need to read. I recommend this book to everyone who is finding a light-read yet impactful and educational. You don't need to be an animal lover or a kid to like this, it is open for everyone who loves stories and talking animals. However, if you're looking for a more exciting and action-packed kind of book, then move along, this is not for you.

I like to tell everyone to give this a chance though. It will make you question a lot of things about your actions in this world. You don’t only learn about hawks, but you also learn about life. With that note, I'll leave you one of my favorite lines in the book,

[quote]They [humans] only see what they can get or take from the world, not what they can give for the greater good.[/quote]

Sad but true, isn't it?

Freedom Is For The Birds
View: [url=http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/book.php?id=104121]on Bookshelves[/url] | on Amazon

Like briellejee's review? Post a comment saying so!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”