Review by Mandavi -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Mandavi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandavi.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Review by Mandavi -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Mandavi » 19 Jun 2018, 14:31

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

The Guardian of Deceit is a classic tale of misfortune and perseverance. William H. Coles begins the tale of aspiring doctor Darwin Hastings when he is 17 years old and on path to a new beginning. After his parents passed away, Darwin spent a small amount of time with his Aunt until she becomes ill, forcing Darwin to travel to New York where his Uncle Luther resides. Uncle Luther is not only Darwin’s trust fund holder but also a professional football player and some would argue, a professional bad boy and bad decision maker. This story takes place between a 15-18-year span of Darwin’s life. Darwin quickly learns how to fend for himself and tells an intriguing story of his climb to become a doctor.

There are many genuine characters in this book that heavily effect Darwin’s life and his decisions. The first person he meets on his journey is Dr. Malverne, a doctor who would go on to help Darwin pursue his medical career and would later invite Darwin into his family as a son. Darwin also has a strong relationship with his Uncle Luther’s girlfriend, Sweeney who is a superstar. Granny, Bonita Thomas and Laszlo are other genuine characters who reside at Luther’s residence and who continue to guide Darwin into the right direction, even when Luther does not.

This story is a very light read and can be read very quickly; each chapter is under 10 pages, some being a single page long. At the beginning of the story Coles easily connects you to Darwin’s character and paints him very likeable. But throughout the story as Darwin ages you start to feel less and less invested in him as a character. This book has many different plot lines which can be difficult to follow at times. That being said, I also enjoyed having more than one character to relate to and to understand throughout the book.

One frustration I had with the book was the amount of loose ends towards the end. I would love to see what happened with Luther and Sweeney’s relationships, as well as Laszlo and Bonita. Darwin’s lawful settlement was also something of interest to me which was never further detailed in the conclusion. While I enjoyed the beginning of the book much more than the ending, I do appreciate Coles attempt at a calm, sweet, ending; An ending Darwin truly wanted.

I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars because it was genuinely good read. The characters were well written and I felt a true connection to a few of them. The first few chapters of this book are easy to fly through without notice but once the timeline changed and plot lines were added, I felt less interested. The entire situation with Betsy seemed unnecessary and worthless to the plot. Coles builds such a strong foundation in each character which keeps you reading to see how each character grows and turns out. I would recommend this book as a quick read or for someone who enjoys reads that take place over a large span of time. :techie-studyingbrown:

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Mandavi's review? Post a comment saying so!

Kalin Adi
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 86
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 680
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: We Love Short Shorts by Kathy Lindsey

Post by Kalin Adi » 24 Jun 2018, 18:29

I haven't read this book yet. I've read good comments about it, though. Too bad about the loose ends, I hate those as well. Thanks for sharing your opinions about this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”