Official Review: Bears, Bobsleds and Other Misadventures

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Official Review: Bears, Bobsleds and Other Misadventures

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bears, Bobsleds and Other Misadventures" by Gary Dyck.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A newlywed couple goes camping on their honeymoon, but the sound of a snorting bear nearby intrudes on their wedded bliss. A few boys get more “fun” than they bargained for during a downhill trip on a makeshift bobsled. A single woman dons an outfit meant to garner male attention on a Sunday morning, but she did not plan on ending up at a Mennonite church service. These incidents and more are in a collection of comical short stories: Bears, Bobsleds and Other Misadventures by author Gary Dyck.

In this book’s preface, the author states that these stories are fictional. Even so, it later becomes clear that the main character’s name is Gary. He relates each of these tales in first person, from childhood mishaps with his young neighbors to awkward situations he faces as a married man. Though some aspects of Gary’s narrative may seem unbelievable, readers may possibly hear a ring of truth chiming through many of the pages.

When a story hinges on humor, a writer might hurry from joke to joke while his writing in between lacks in quality. However, in this book, the author does not rush to the punch lines. He takes his time when he needs to, effectively setting up the course of each event to give readers a reason to care about what happens next. The humor is sometimes subtle and other times blatant but unforced. Gary’s attitude as a narrator can be offhand, and he is even oblivious to the comedy on occasion, which works in the comedy’s favor. Although some of the humor is a little irreverent, it maintains a level of tact. The author knows when to leave something unsaid, and his clever style displays his trust in the reader’s intelligence.

Now, a first person point of view lets a reader experience a story closely with the main character. Still, the point of view comes with a trade-off. A first person narrator generally does not have the luxury of getting into other characters’ heads or knowing about events that are taking place elsewhere, beyond his vantage point.

In light of this, Gary’s narration does not always make complete sense. He suddenly becomes like an omniscient narrator now and then. He describes some moments from other characters’ perspectives or gives details about actions or events beyond his hearing or vantage point. While doing so, he does not explain how he knows that information, nor does he comment on the oddity of his brief omniscience, if it is intentionally illogical. Also, there are minor errors throughout the book, including punctuation errors, incorrect verb tenses, and movie titles that should be italicized.

Nevertheless, overall, this is a well-written collection that takes a light and entertaining look at life. Therefore, I give Bears, Bobsleds and Other Misadventures a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I’d recommend it to short story fans who enjoy generous helpings of humor.

Bears, Bobsleds and Other Misadventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy some good humor every once in a while. This one sounds like it could really cheer a person up. I appreciate your review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 18:38 I do enjoy some good humor every once in a while. This one sounds like it could really cheer a person up. I appreciate your review. Thanks.
Yeah, it's definitely good as a pick-me-up! I smile a lot easier at humorous stories than I actually break out and laugh. This book gave me some of those break-out-and-laugh moments. :lol2:
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I 've never been a big fan of short stories, but I've found a few gems recently that are helping me see the benefits of a quick, fun read. This sounds like it could be a fun collection. Thanks for the recommendation.
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Dael Reader wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 19:25 I 've never been a big fan of short stories, but I've found a few gems recently that are helping me see the benefits of a quick, fun read. This sounds like it could be a fun collection. Thanks for the recommendation.
I don't read a lot of short stories, either. :D At least, not short story collections. But sometimes they hit the spot! And in this case, I think it helps that the same main character is running through all of them, with some of the same supporting characters popping up again. :)
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love funny books, and I want to check this out. I like your line:
his clever style displays his trust in the reader’s intelligence.
That's very telling and made me certain I wanted to read this. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

SamSim wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 20:59 I like your line:
his clever style displays his trust in the reader’s intelligence.
Heeheehee, yeah--jokes aren't funny anymore if the comedian stops to explain them afterwards. :lol2: Hope you enjoy the read!
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

This sounds like a very funny read; especially since the author seems to have a good hold of pacing. Thanks for the review!
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

Interesting and funny stories that will entertain any reade. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”