Official Review: Unanticipated Life by YM Johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Official Review: Unanticipated Life by YM Johnson

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unanticipated Life" by YM Johnson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Change is an inevitable part of life. It happens to everybody irrespective of their state of readiness. A lot of changes happened to Maurice, the main character in the book Unanticipated Life by Y.M. Johnson. He was abandoned by his parents but was lucky enough to be adopted by a woman who loved him and was committed to raising him, in spite of her own personal challenges. The tragedies Maurice faced are enough to traumatize anybody. However, through hard work and determination, he is able to build a successful business. He falls in love and marries a woman who he hopes to live with for the rest of his life. He gives that relationship his full commitment and loyalty. The challenges in that relationship redefine Maurice and his wife. The rest of the story thereafter is the story of the protagonist’s journey of self-discovery and healing. It is a story about love, parenting, selflessness, betrayal, loyalty, and friendship.

I liked the character Maurice when the book started. I found myself rooting for him to rise above the blows life threw at him. I did not really like who he became in the course of his journey. The book ended on a cliff-hanger for me because I was just about to find out if Maurice would rediscover himself and find peace. I suspect the author plans to write a sequel to this book. However, I would have liked this particular phase of Maurice’s life to end properly in this book. That way, the book can be read as a stand-alone novel.

To be honest, it was a fair read, but I was not captivated by it. I kept turning the pages hoping to find some twists in the plot that would captivate me. I didn’t. I then read till the end hoping that I would find the ending gratifying, but I did not.

There were many grammatical and punctuation errors scattered throughout the book. I think the book would have benefited from another round of editing to correct these errors. Professional editing would also have identified and corrected the glaring point of view errors in this book. An option for the author would have been to write from two or three points of view if he wanted readers to know what certain key characters were thinking. He provided information about what other characters were thinking when there was no way Maurice’s point of view could have had that information. I found that distracting.

This book had some graphic intimate scenes so I do not recommend it to readers less than 18 years old. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because of the grammatical and point of view errors in it.

Unanticipated Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CambaReviewer's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I'm not a fan of graphic intimate scenes. Coupled with being only a fair read and the grammatical errors, I'll pass. I appreciate your honest review.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Cecilia_L wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 18:52 I'm not a fan of graphic intimate scenes. Coupled with being only a fair read and the grammatical errors, I'll pass. I appreciate your honest review.
Thanks for reading my review and replying. I totally agree with your preferences. It is not a book for everybody. Cheers!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

When life throws negative changes at you, you will have to give it a positive change. Thank you for your insightful review.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I hate cliffhangers in books. It makes me want to say ‘Ha! I’m not falling for your marketing strategy take that!’

It also explains whey I haven’t had a Yorkie bar since they brought in the ‘not for girls’ advertising campaign :lol:
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I liked your review about this book which depicts about the unanticipated challenges faced by the main character Maurice. Also i find that this book contains intimate scenes which are not suitable for reading by below 18 years .
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”