Official Review: Napalm's Embrace by W. Thomas Leonard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Official Review: Napalm's Embrace by W. Thomas Leonard

Post by DancingLady »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Napalm's Embrace" by W. Thomas Leonard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Vietnam War is a difficult but important subject. The tragedies that occurred during this war shaped the future of Vietnam and the United States and left permanent scars on the lives of millions of people. W. Thomas Leonard's novel, Napalm's Embrace, tells the story of a US Marine who desires to serve his country and a Vietnamese woman who tries to serve her people.

When Second Lieutenant John William Brady arrives in Vietnam, he is assigned to Civil Affairs. His job is to improve relations with the Vietnamese people by organizing medical care and providing supplies and assistance for building projects in local villages. His assistant and translator, Tran Thi Sam, not only aids Brady and his team of Marines in communicating with the locals, but also helps Brady get to know the Vietnamese people, their culture, and the history that led up to the current conflict.

Sam, an educated and multi-lingual Vietnamese woman, is the key to understanding the war from the perspective of the Vietnamese people. As the story unfolds, she shares more of her own history along with the history of her people. Learning history from a predominantly American perspective, I never realized that Vietnam had been invaded by so many other nations. With this in mind, it only makes sense that American soldiers would be viewed as invaders as well.

As Brady learns about the people and sees the suffering brought about by war, it only adds to the conflicts he is experiencing within himself and in his personal life. With a fiance back home, Brady struggles with his growing attraction for Sam. Even as he longs to return home and get married, war is separating him from his fiance in more ways than one. Additionally, racial tensions are high within the Marines as the Civil Right's movement progresses back home in the United States. Leonard masterfully presents the racial issues of the time through a variety of minor characters who display a wide range of perspectives and attitudes.

I learned so much about what life was like for both American soldiers and Vietnamese civilians through reading this book. While I can never comprehend the terror and tragedy these people experienced, I am glad to have a little better understanding of the complexity of the situation and the factors that lead to civilian deaths and so much trauma. I truly wish those who cruelly called veterans "baby killers" had simply asked them to tell their stories. Through combat scenes depicted from Brady's perspective, I got a taste of the confusion and chaos the soldiers faced in the midst of a life and death struggle.

In spite of all the good thing I have to say about this book, the editing simply does not allow me to give it a perfect score. I am giving this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the dozens of small errors throughout the entire book. These errors include many missing quotation marks, "though" instead of "thought," and missing commas. These errors do sometimes reduce the clarity and flow of the text. Although I was terribly disappointed by the poor editing, it does not negate the value of this story. That said, this book contains detailed and graphic descriptions of combat, including civilian casualties of all ages. I recommend this book to adults who want to learn more about the Vietnam War. Though I would not consider myself a fan of the war history genre, I am grateful for the insights I have gained from this book which I hope will help me relate more compassionately to those who still bare the scars of this war today.

Napalm's Embrace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DancingLady's review? Post a comment saying so!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

Such a great review. It's hard hearing about the Vietnamese war. I don't know if I'm brave enough to read this. Maybe on a day that I want to read something deeper that will probably make me cry.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. Nice to hear the Vietnam war being told from both sides in such a sympathetic way.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

I have never read such a detailed review. The way you have worked upon the minutest details highlights your dedication. While, I do not think this book is for me, I must say you have got amazing reviewing skills.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I appreciate the author telling the story from both sides. I had never thought about the US being seen as the invader before. This era is not what I would like to read about, but the book sounds solid (except for those pesky errors). Thanks for your review.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

daniya__shah3 wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 13:40 I have never read such a detailed review. The way you have worked upon the minutest details highlights your dedication. While, I do not think this book is for me, I must say you have got amazing reviewing skills.
Wow, that is quite the complament! Thanks :oops:
smc19
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 72

Post by smc19 »

For those of us who served in Vietnam and were fortunate enough to (at least initially) come home to the U.S. in something other than a body bag, generally found ourselves much less than welcomed back and made to suffer the lies and innuendo of the politicians, draft dodgers and deeply misinformed/uninformed media. Full measures of combat (both declared and undeclared wars) have been raging across Southeast Asia for several centuries, exposing the civilian populations to death and occupation by neighboring peoples as well as those who crossed oceans to reach their shores. The Vietnam War is an extremely complex subject and one should not couch their perspective of the people or the engagement based upon a fictional work such as this. If the reader (and, in this case, the reviewer) desires to learn about some part of the 20 years America spent in Vietnam, stick with historical works of folks who were there; the different genre will serve one well. Nice review but the disclaimer for commentary on a fictional book is missing and misleading to an unsuspecting audience.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:

Post by DancingLady »

smc19 wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 02:42 For those of us who served in Vietnam and were fortunate enough to (at least initially) come home to the U.S. in something other than a body bag, generally found ourselves much less than welcomed back and made to suffer the lies and innuendo of the politicians, draft dodgers and deeply misinformed/uninformed media. Full measures of combat (both declared and undeclared wars) have been raging across Southeast Asia for several centuries, exposing the civilian populations to death and occupation by neighboring peoples as well as those who crossed oceans to reach their shores. The Vietnam War is an extremely complex subject and one should not couch their perspective of the people or the engagement based upon a fictional work such as this. If the reader (and, in this case, the reviewer) desires to learn about some part of the 20 years America spent in Vietnam, stick with historical works of folks who were there; the different genre will serve one well. Nice review but the disclaimer for commentary on a fictional book is missing and misleading to an unsuspecting audience.
😰. I am sorrow than I can find words for. I beg your forgiveness and that if every Vietnam veteran on my knees. I wish I could retract everything, I remain an appallingly ignorant and immature female. I regret every personal opinion I have ever shared on this subject as I am not qualified to have one.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

It sounds like a difficult read, considering the emotional aspect, but a worthwhile one. This is a review of a singular work of fiction, and a worthwhile one, regardless of what another poster might say. No one pretended that this book was the definitive historical work on the vietnam war, just a different and worthwhile perspective.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Though you have given less rating for editing mistakes of the author, your review also suggest the important aspects of this book about how nicely the author tried to portray the circumstances of the Vietnam war. nice to read your review
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”